Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #171
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Re: February/March Chat Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivparker View Post
So have any of you experienced parents wanting you to feed your dfc foods that you don't think would be good for them? I'm not sure what to do as its not down right bad. They want me to add this milk powder stuff to whole milk. Essentially making her milk have double the vitamins. She drinks a ton, more then she should as it is. About 40 oz a day. Its not even a supplement. The directions say to add it to water but they want me to add it to milk. The supplement isn't cheap either. $20 for a week worth. They say they don't want her to loose weight. Well, she is 2 and a lot of 3t clothes are too small for her. My daughter is almost 1 year older then her and is smaller. Do I just say OK to the parents, but don't put it in all the time? As it is, Wic says she should only be drinking skim milk and they give us 2 gallons a month, she herself drinks at least 1 gallon a week. She might actually lose weight, though, as we do eat kind of healthy here. She has been kind of picky but we have been finding foods she will eat like almonds, sweet peas, carrots. We do buy chicken nuggets now as well because we know she likes them. I think she is eating plenty without the added supplement thingy. I've brought it up to my case worker and she just doesnt respond. I don't want to just say that its not healthy to the parents as I think they truly think that doing that makes them good parents. Maybe its a cultural thing???
I would make an appointment with the Dr to discuss it. This would validate your concern if she is that big there is no way I would think that is healthy and it would be best coming from her Dr. Maybe this sounds extreme but its what I would do in your shoes

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #172
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivparker
So have any of you experienced parents wanting you to feed your dfc foods that you don't think would be good for them? I'm not sure what to do as its not down right bad. They want me to add this milk powder stuff to whole milk. Essentially making her milk have double the vitamins. She drinks a ton, more then she should as it is. About 40 oz a day. Its not even a supplement. The directions say to add it to water but they want me to add it to milk. The supplement isn't cheap either. $20 for a week worth. They say they don't want her to loose weight. Well, she is 2 and a lot of 3t clothes are too small for her. My daughter is almost 1 year older then her and is smaller. Do I just say OK to the parents, but don't put it in all the time? As it is, Wic says she should only be drinking skim milk and they give us 2 gallons a month, she herself drinks at least 1 gallon a week. She might actually lose weight, though, as we do eat kind of healthy here. She has been kind of picky but we have been finding foods she will eat like almonds, sweet peas, carrots. We do buy chicken nuggets now as well because we know she likes them. I think she is eating plenty without the added supplement thingy. I've brought it up to my case worker and she just doesnt respond. I don't want to just say that its not healthy to the parents as I think they truly think that doing that makes them good parents. Maybe its a cultural thing???
Have you asked why they think she needs it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbreb

I would make an appointment with the Dr to discuss it. This would validate your concern if she is that big there is no way I would think that is healthy and it would be best coming from her Dr. Maybe this sounds extreme but its what I would do in your shoes
This is a good idea. Maybe the dr could have a print out to provide of what a 2-year-olds diet should consist of as far as ounces of milk and calories/day, etc. then if nothing else, you could pin it on the dr and say you can't give it to her because you have to follow the drs food guidelines.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #173
looking8186
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ivparker- I agree 100% with the pp. I would make an appointment ASAP with her pedi. Ultimately you are responsible for her care and overall health so I wouldn't take any chances listening to the bio parents... I know this sounds really bad but there is a reason she was removed from their care I wouldn't trust their judgment. I had 2 little foster girls come to me on rescue asthma meds being given EVERY day. I took then to the dr because I suspected that was not correct and was told they absolutely should not be using them unless they were in crisis. The foster mom was giving them EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. You honestly can't trust anyone with stuff like that not the bios, previous fp's or even the social workers. You always have to go by what the sw says initially but make sure you're proactive about double checking... You are every foster child's voice. My girl's sw told me to give them the meds but had never even checked with the dr or looked at the prescription. It's a crazy life!!!! Good for you for doing all you are. She is blessed to have you.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #174
ivparker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingMercy View Post
Have you asked why they think she needs it?
When I asked, they just said because they don't want her to lose weight.
I already have a dr,s appt set up for the initial visit after coming into care. I will ask. I asked the wic nurse and she said 24 is a day but didn't seem to concerned about the 40 oz. She also recommended skim milk for her and that is all wic will let us have. I think the next time I see parents I'm going tho ask them how many glasses of milk did she drink a day? If she only got 2 glasses a day with nido, then thast would be like 4 glasses of milk.
Another side note, kind of funny. I had some very cute Robeez on the 1 year old for a couple visits, and at the last visit, parents said that they saw she didn't have good shoes so they bought her a basic pair at the thrift store for me. It was nice of them, but I thought that was funny and could see how someone would think they weren't good shoes.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #175
looking8186
Registered Users
seller
seller

By any chance is she Hispanic? I'm pretty sure Nido is a cultural thing within the Hispanic community. It may be that! Good luck mama!
Old 03-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #176
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivparker View Post
When I asked, they just said because they don't want her to lose weight.
I already have a dr,s appt set up for the initial visit after coming into care. I will ask. I asked the wic nurse and she said 24 is a day but didn't seem to concerned about the 40 oz. She also recommended skim milk for her and that is all wic will let us have. I think the next time I see parents I'm going tho ask them how many glasses of milk did she drink a day? If she only got 2 glasses a day with nido, then thast would be like 4 glasses of milk.
Another side note, kind of funny. I had some very cute Robeez on the 1 year old for a couple visits, and at the last visit, parents said that they saw she didn't have good shoes so they bought her a basic pair at the thrift store for me. It was nice of them, but I thought that was funny and could see how someone would think they weren't good shoes.
PM me...to much info to post publicly but I have some advice for you!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #177
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Last edited by newmommy13; 04-11-2013 at 10:46 PM.
newmommy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #178
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13
Ok so the social worker dropped the ball and never checked into a family members homestudy status before "officially" telling us we would be getting the twins so the day after the SW thought they were being born (she had the wrong info on that too) she told us they are going to family. I'm relieved for a lot of reasons but today I know they are being born and I am feeling kind of sad. :/
What?? Sorry. So the family wants the twins but not the sibling?

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #179
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Seriously, I? That's nuts.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #180
sunnymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wait, another family member? or Grandma? And you were waiting all that day to hear thinking they were born? So frustrating! Because don't they realize that adding children is not like bringing home and extra bag of groceries? Really now. People make decisions based on these things... Did you buy infant seats and stuff?
sunnymommy is offline   Reply With Quote