Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #21
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you tip your mechanic?

Not typically.

Now, there was one instance where our car's transmission went kaput just down the road from the mechanic (luckily). He sent his tow truck over to get it and didn't charge us for the tow as it was, literally, just down the road. We tipped him then but that was because he went above and beyond.

Advertisement

MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #22
amandajiggles
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

While I don't think it necessary...just want to point out that your typical mechanic does not get paid the rate you are charged. There is a huge amount of overhead in running a shop. My DH is mechanic and gets paid a fraction of what they charge for his work and buys all of his own tools etc.. Occasionally, customers will tip (for custom exhaust jobs etc.) They get coffee/donuts brought in by customers, sometimes customers buy them lunch if they saved them a lot of money by going quickly, or by not charging for things like changing wipers/bulbs etc. Others bring in gift cards for coffee/movie passes etc. That DH's boss divies up equally, or gives to the person who worked on a certain car. If you truly appreciate the service you received, a small token is not going to break the bank, and if it is, a sincere thank you letter or email will go a long way.
amandajiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #23
amandajiggles
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
Each job ( thing that needs fixed) has a expected time to be completed. The mechanic usually gets paid that amount. If he gets it done faster then he makes more per hour because he can do more jobs in a day.
That is called flat rate...and think about a day filled with oil changes and brake jobs that you pay very little for and are consuming more time than your mechanic gets paid for, if DH was getting flat rate there would be days that he would work for 8 hours and bring nothing home for his work. There are things that go wrong on jobs like rusty bolts breaking off (always undercoat your vehicle), other parts breaking while fixing something else....when you pay your mechanic, even if it is a friend they need to charge that rate to get by. Car shops are not a money making business venture, they provide a service and most JUST cover their costs with little to no profits if they are lucky.
amandajiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #24
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

yes, cuz he's my cousin, and does the work for free, lol.... I'll buy the parts and then give him a couple of bucks. Not at somewhere like an oil change place or something though

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #25
omgoodgravy
Registered Users

My Mood:

We have a mechanic we have used for years. We get a discount and we do not tip it's a mom and pop shop. We did once buy everyone lunch. The owner came to the house, got my sisters car running drove it to the shop and fixed it and charged us of course. But since my mom didn't have to pay for the tow she was tickled so she bought the whole shop lunch...it was for like 6 people though so it wasn't too bad.
omgoodgravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #26
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do pretty often.

I've used the same place since I was 16 years old. It has changed owners twice during that time but the head mechanic is still the same.

I always tip for times they have gone above and beyond. Recently this included checking out a vehicle we wanted to buy and then telling me I didn't owe them (even though they had hooked it up to a computer,driven it and put it up on the rack to inspect) One of the mechanics recently recognized my vehicle one day when I had run out of gas on the interstate. He pulled over, gave me gas and then drove away refusing any money. He got a pretty big tip when I took the truck in for an oil change.

I love our local place. There was a time I was reallyyyyy broke (we married young,had two kids fast and well, we were just broke!) and they always worked something out with me. I was once unable to afford new tires and needed some badly. The owner took me aside when I mentioned needing to wait until next month. He told me that he was not going to allow me to drive around with two little kids for a month with tires in the shape those were in. I tried really hard to refuse the tires but he didn't want to let me leave. We finally agreed on some used, but new to us, tires and I paid him off as soon as I was able.

Lots of other little things they have done for us too. That is why I tip.

I also know, as someone that provides a service, it makes my day for someone to say thanks or leave me a tip even if they are already paying me well for the work I do.

Last edited by ~happy2Bamommy~; 02-03-2013 at 08:59 AM.
~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #27
omgoodgravy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~happy2Bamommy~ View Post
I do pretty often.

I've used the same place since I was 16 years old. It has changed owners twice during that time but the head mechanic is still the same.

I always tip for times they have gone above and beyond. Recently this included checking out a vehicle we wanted to buy and then telling me I didn't owe them (even though they had hooked it up to a computer,driven it and put it up on the rack to inspect) One of the mechanics recently recognized my vehicle one day when I had run out of gas on the interstate. He pulled over, gave me gas and then drove away refusing any money. He got a pretty big tip when I took the truck in for an oil change.

I love our local place. There was a time I was reallyyyyy broke (we married young,had two kids fast and well, we were just broke!) and they always worked something out with me. I was once unable to afford new tires and needed some badly. The owner took me aside when I mentioned needing to wait until next month. He told me that he was not going to allow me to drive around with two little kids for a month with tires in the shape those were in. I tried really hard to refuse the tires but he didn't want to let me leave. We finally agreed on some used, but new to us, tires and I paid him off as soon as I was able.

Lots of other little things they have done for us too. That is why I tip.

I also know, as someone that provides a service, it makes my day for someone to say thanks or leave me a tip even if they are already paying me well for the work I do.
Mine is the same way! He has told me a few times I cannot let you leave with these breaks/tires and the kids.
omgoodgravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #28
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Nope.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #29
november
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa
Nope

I think the "tipping" has gotten completely out of hand. Everyone seems to think they need a tip for doing thier job.
This.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum

november is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #30
mamatoclaire
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandajiggles
While I don't think it necessary...just want to point out that your typical mechanic does not get paid the rate you are charged. There is a huge amount of overhead in running a shop. My DH is mechanic and gets paid a fraction of what they charge for his work and buys all of his own tools etc.
Yep, this. Mechanics are not getting rich off of you. There is a ton of overhead and tools and equipment. I don't even want to think about adding up how many thousands DH has spent on tools. I know paying $60+ an hour feels harsh, but it is necessary. Shops have a lot of expenses that aren't itemized on your bill, and the guy doing the working only sees a fraction of that.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum