Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
KendallMarie
Registered Users
seller

Mixing up detergents?

Does anyone mix up or rotate the detergents they use in their wash routines?

I'm currently trying to sort out what detergent I want to use for my little ones diapers. For m own laundry I've use mostly natural detergents (Nellie's, Ecos, Claudia's Choices etc) for years... so I already know some of my fave have their draw backs that I don't necessarily want happening with my diapers. So I was wondering about splitting the difference and washing some of the time with things like Nellie's and some of the time with Tide or some other main stream detergent.

Would there be a reason not to try this? I have 3-4 different detergents in the house at any given time so saying it'd be complicated isn't really an argument to me.

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

I think a lot of people do this. I change often to try other stuff but always return to Country Save. What advantage are you hoping to gain?

I wouldn't go back and forth between a soap like Nellie's and one like Tide that has so many additives because both leave buildup. They remove each others buildup but then add a new kind. Instead I'd take a break from a soap based and use a "clean" fragrance free, additive free mainstream like Biokleen Liquid All Temperature, or Country Save.

The other thing is, lots of people use something like Tide then switch to something else, and the diapers start to stink. They think it's the new detergent but it's actually that the layers of yuck sealed beneath Tide are being stripped. Whenever I buy diapers on FSOT that were washed in Tide, they smell clean until I wash them in Country Save, and then it takes about 5 washes to get put the Tide and yuck.

But I understand All Free and clear military edition doesn't have optical brighteners, which keeps it from building up. I think of optical brighteners like a clear coat on a car's paint job, sealing stuff underneath.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mixing up detergents?

I go with whatever detergent is the cheapest at costco. Either Arm and Hammer or All. In 3 years i have never had any issues w/build up or stink.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
KendallMarie
Registered Users
seller

I'm not really trying to get an "advantage" just trying to find a balance between what i like using and what will actually give me clean stink free diapers. I know from using them while i love how Nellie's and such things work... over time your socks end up looking less clean and white on the soles. So I do some washes with other detergents to avoid it... so I guess that's the effect i"m looking for on the diapers.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
Mrs2011
Registered Users

I just started using eco's and love it.
Mrs2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
anniekins1488
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I alternate between a mainstream detergent, usually Tide but it has occasionally been Gain, and a detergent like Charlie's or Bum Genius. I have clean stink free dipes, and less staining when I alternate with a detergent like Tide.

Swag with me! I earn $25 in Amazon gift cards every month with very little effort! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Anniekins1488
anniekins1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

I use 1 of three detergents

my main is targets pristine clean its free of brighteners and dyes but still has enzymes its cleans very well for me and has so far been best on my DD skin..

Every so often I do a round using dreft, it too is gentle with my DD sensitive skin as a whole but it requres a LOT of rinsing however the target isn't as powerful on stains as other detergents like tide ect so every so often I decide to ru a wash in dreft to remove any stains.. Its rare I do it about once every few months honestly

I have a bunch of Bumgenius sample packs I dont like using them often but they work on occasion if I happen to wash away from home I ussually just grab a few of these.. I can't use any enzyme free detergetn for lomng though or we get nasty rashess.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:05 AM   #8
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
The other thing is, lots of people use something like Tide then switch to something else, and the diapers start to stink. They think it's the new detergent but it's actually that the layers of yuck sealed beneath Tide are being stripped. Whenever I buy diapers on FSOT that were washed in Tide, they smell clean until I wash them in Country Save, and then it takes about 5 washes to get put the Tide and yuck.
I used to wash in both Tide and Bumgenius detergent (very similar to country save) I never had any issues with hidden stink but maybe that was because I'm annal about rinsing..
Tide did tons better with keeping stains away than the BG but it took forever to rinse and if I didn't my baby got rashy

BG required way less rinsing but wasn't as good with stains not a huge deal but I'd rather avoid them, I also had to use bleach or rashes occured... mostly I needed a LOT because of our hard water though which was most annoying..

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #9
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrennaII View Post
I think a lot of people do this. I change often to try other stuff but always return to Country Save. What advantage are you hoping to gain?

I wouldn't go back and forth between a soap like Nellie's and one like Tide that has so many additives because both leave buildup. They remove each others buildup but then add a new kind. Instead I'd take a break from a soap based and use a "clean" fragrance free, additive free mainstream like Biokleen Liquid All Temperature, or Country Save.

But I understand All Free and clear military edition doesn't have optical brighteners, which keeps it from building up. I think of optical brighteners like a clear coat on a car's paint job, sealing stuff underneath.
I find this very interesting... thx
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
Jennix
Registered Users

I'm new to CDing and looking to try to Country Save or Mountain Green. I've heard great things about both.
Jennix is offline   Reply With Quote