Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #111
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chat Thread ~ Feb 3rd - 9th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelle View Post
Thankfully I found a good CNM who said they don't talk induction until 42 weeks, but I do have to go in for NST ever week after 40 weeks...
I didn't have to do anything from 40-41 weeks, but my OB asked me to come in for a NST every 2-3 days from 41-42 weeks (or birth, obviously).
When I went in for it at 41+2, the on-call OB was really rude - she obviously thought I was stupid for wanting to try for a VBAC and for going overdue. After my NST, which was perfect, she said she "had" to do an u/s - at the time I thought it was just a quick scan to check baby, now I realize it was her trying to keep me as long as possible and use scare tactics (baby's size (which she was totally wrong on), the possibility of mec in the fluid (which there was none), etc). I asked how long things were going to take, she said "You are here so I can decide if I should deliver your baby.". I said "No, I came for the NST my OB asked me to. It was perfect, and that should be it. We are basing decisions on how things look, with a good NST we're fine for now and will wait."
She got pissed off and stormed out of the room, I didn't see her again and the nurse came to tell me I could go.
Argh. Obviously not all OBs are equal, even when they all work together!

Advertisement

canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #112
Janelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
I didn't have to do anything from 40-41 weeks, but my OB asked me to come in for a NST every 2-3 days from 41-42 weeks (or birth, obviously).
When I went in for it at 41+2, the on-call OB was really rude - she obviously thought I was stupid for wanting to try for a VBAC and for going overdue. After my NST, which was perfect, she said she "had" to do an u/s - at the time I thought it was just a quick scan to check baby, now I realize it was her trying to keep me as long as possible and use scare tactics (baby's size (which she was totally wrong on), the possibility of mec in the fluid (which there was none), etc). I asked how long things were going to take, she said "You are here so I can decide if I should deliver your baby.". I said "No, I came for the NST my OB asked me to. It was perfect, and that should be it. We are basing decisions on how things look, with a good NST we're fine for now and will wait."
She got pissed off and stormed out of the room, I didn't see her again and the nurse came to tell me I could go.
Argh. Obviously not all OBs are equal, even when they all work together!
I don't like rude people! Especially when they think you don't have your own child's best interest @ heart...I am hoping I don't have to deal w/ that. I have only met one of the 4 midwives that deliver @ the hospital here. I meet another one on Tues, so I hope I like her as much as the one I usually see. I was REALLY hoping for a home birth, but couldn't find a midwife that would take me b/c I had a 1 hr labor (they are over an hour away)
Old 02-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #113
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

They haven't said anything about moving my EDD. I have an app on my phone so I knew my LMP exactly. But I also ovulate a little earlier than normal in my cycle. And even though weight was within a few days, little girl was measuring almost a week ahead length wise. I'm glad they didn't move it, but that's part of why I think I'll actually end up with a March baby
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #114
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I don't like rude people! Especially when they think you don't have your own child's best interest @ heart.
Yup. I really didn't like how she treated me about all that. Like I didn't know what I was doing - she even said "Do you even know the risks of VBACs?" very rudely. She was just terrible.

And unfortunately, she actually did make me second guess myself and our choices. I started worrying about if she was right, if there was mec, etc, etc.
But when labor started on it's own the following night and Levi was born healthy and well, I knew we'd made the right choices for us and him. Especially since he had a bit of trouble breathing right away and had to be in an O2 tent in the NICU for an hour or so to regulate things - then I was very thankful we did what we felt was right and didn't listen to the Drs with their terrible advice.
It was never my own OB who gave bad advice, but I also had seen another OB at 40 weeks because my OB was sick that day - that one told me I had to be checked because I was due and that I would have to consider induction.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #115
Janelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Yup. I really didn't like how she treated me about all that. Like I didn't know what I was doing - she even said "Do you even know the risks of VBACs?" very rudely. She was just terrible.

And unfortunately, she actually did make me second guess myself and our choices. I started worrying about if she was right, if there was mec, etc, etc.
But when labor started on it's own the following night and Levi was born healthy and well, I knew we'd made the right choices for us and him. Especially since he had a bit of trouble breathing right away and had to be in an O2 tent in the NICU for an hour or so to regulate things - then I was very thankful we did what we felt was right and didn't listen to the Drs with their terrible advice.
It was never my own OB who gave bad advice, but I also had seen another OB at 40 weeks because my OB was sick that day - that one told me I had to be checked because I was due and that I would have to consider induction.
I have had OBs/Drs make me question myself too...I know that is their intent, of course.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #116
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
So just thought I'd share, we got a baby catalog in the mail from Target, in it there was a coupon for a $20 giftcard just for making a baby registry! We weren't planning on registering but figured for a free $20 we could scan a few things :-) so if you get the catalog be sure you look before tossing it!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #117
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I have had OBs/Drs make me question myself too...I know that is their intent, of course.
I'm so glad that my own OB hasn't ever done this. I don't know if it's that I come across as informed (which, for the most part, I am), or if he never does, but he's never questioned my decisions. He has suggested things, but he's never questioned me or pushed me to any decisions.

Like with Levi, I saw him at 35 weeks for the first time and he looked over everything, asked "How are you wanting this birth to go?". I said "I want a VBAC." and that was it. He never ever questioned it or said anything to make me feel or think that it wasn't possible or going to happen, kwim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2wyatt View Post
So just thought I'd share, we got a baby catalog in the mail from Target, in it there was a coupon for a $20 giftcard just for making a baby registry! We weren't planning on registering but figured for a free $20 we could scan a few things :-) so if you get the catalog be sure you look before tossing it!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #118
Janelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I'm so glad that my own OB hasn't ever done this. I don't know if it's that I come across as informed (which, for the most part, I am), or if he never does, but he's never questioned my decisions. He has suggested things, but he's never questioned me or pushed me to any decisions.

Like with Levi, I saw him at 35 weeks for the first time and he looked over everything, asked "How are you wanting this birth to go?". I said "I want a VBAC." and that was it. He never ever questioned it or said anything to make me feel or think that it wasn't possible or going to happen, kwim?

Very cool..glad you have a good OB. That is how my midwife is, she is super easy going and asked me how I wanted things to be. And told me things that she can't do anything about b/c of hospital policy (like having a Hep lock).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2wyatt View Post
I got one to and went & registered Thurs...felt a little weird registering w/ my 4 kids following me around.
There isn't much I actually need though, but did find a few things I wanted. And I got my $20 gift card, so it was really worth it!
Old 02-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #119
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Now I'm jealous I haven't gotten this target flyer! $20 just for doing a registry is a pretty sweet deal
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #120
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oy, I didn't want to buy any diapers this time... and truly, we don't really need any... but I love the nb swaddlebees simplex and want some! I may just have to figure out a way to get just a few...