Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Lip Tie

I just noticed my daughter seems to have an upper lip tie. Should I be concerned? Could this have something to do with my breastfeeding troubles? Should I get it looked at? She is only ten months. Her front teeth are gapped which I think is normal in babies. I'm going to try to post a photo when I get to a computer.

I'm a worrier. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Huxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

It could be affecting BFing. Depends on how severe it is. Gapped teeth aren't necessarily normal. Both my DDs front teeth are the closest together
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Lip Tie

I called the dentist already (they are closed though, Sunday) I'm going to call again tomorrow. Is the dentist who deals with this?
Huxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

My son has a upper lip tie and nursing was hard when he was a newbie. We almost did not make it. Now he is near 10 months old and his top teeth have a gap, but his nursing has improved. We did not get Finn's tie cut as it was not causing anymore real issues. We had the pedi look at ours. If it is severe and hindering growth/nursing, then I would get it checked.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
taylor's mom
Registered Users

youngest dd has an upper lip tie, and i suspect that that's part of the reason we had difficulties early on with her latch. she seems to be doing fine now. i asked the dentist and she didn't feel it was something that needed to be taken care of right now. she said that most kids manage to tear them on their own at some point. my youngest son has actually torn his twice with normal childhood accidents.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #6
taylor's mom
Registered Users

youngest dd has an upper lip tie, and i suspect that that's part of the reason we had difficulties early on with her latch. she seems to be doing fine now. i asked the dentist and she didn't feel it was something that needed to be taken care of right now. she said that most kids manage to tear them on their own at some point. my youngest son has actually torn his twice with normal childhood accidents.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Usually if they have an upper lip tie they also have tongue tie. Some are posterior and hard to dx. There is a tt support group on fb. I was gonna get ds' fixed bc he was spitting up and clicking but the ped didn't see it but gave me some referrals. Never went bc it resolved. He still has the upper lip tie but I'm hoping it won't affect speech or anything. My 2 yr old had one and he tore it as a toddler,

Sent from Future Dwight
Old 02-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just went to Dr. Kotlow in NY to get our son's LT revised. He had a tongue tie which was clipped at birth, but the lip tie definitely was presenting some issues that I decided I wanted to get it addressed now. Lip ties can contribute to tooth decay in the front teeth because they can't be cleaned properly, and stuff gets stuck up there; also if the teeth are gapped now and the tie isn't revised, the adult teeth will also probably have a gap that reduces the space for other teeth and will need to be fixed later with orthodontics.
That said, you will probably have a hard time finding a doctor or dentist who thinks that it should be fixed or needs to be. pediatric dentists are most likely to revise, but insurance doesn't usually cover the procedure. We paid OOP.
Here is the facebook group
http://www.facebook.com/groups/tonguetiebabies/
Old 02-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #9
lookatreestar
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516
We just went to Dr. Kotlow in NY to get our son's LT revised. He had a tongue tie which was clipped at birth, but the lip tie definitely was presenting some issues that I decided I wanted to get it addressed now. Lip ties can contribute to tooth decay in the front teeth because they can't be cleaned properly, and stuff gets stuck up there; also if the teeth are gapped now and the tie isn't revised, the adult teeth will also probably have a gap that reduces the space for other teeth and will need to be fixed later with orthodontics.
That said, you will probably have a hard time finding a doctor or dentist who thinks that it should be fixed or needs to be. pediatric dentists are most likely to revise, but insurance doesn't usually cover the procedure. We paid OOP.
Here is the facebook group
http://www.facebook.com/groups/tonguetiebabies/
he rocks, I had a question about my ds' lip tie and emailed him at like 3am, he emailed back within hours. fwiw his lip tie already ruined his front teeth, if only I had noticed sooner! ( never had bfing issues)

lookatreestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #10
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookatreestar View Post
he rocks, I had a question about my ds' lip tie and emailed him at like 3am, he emailed back within hours. fwiw his lip tie already ruined his front teeth, if only I had noticed sooner! ( never had bfing issues)
Yeah, I was really worried about his teeth! I'm sorry that you learned the hard way Someone on diaperswappers mentioned a lip tie and I checked his mouth and he had a serious, class 4 tie. So glad that someone brought it up!!