Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
MySonsClothBum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Talking Who has been to Disney World in FL with a 2-2.5 yr old?

tell me how your 2 - 2.5 yr old enjoyed/managed
(thanks for everyone sharing about younger babies and older children, but its 2 yr old im interested in hearing how well they managed...because of the possibility of that age napping 1x per day still...and the common "2 yr old" meltdowns)

also! was it easier in a hotel room or a suite(with kitchen, more space)

anything you can tell me about finding a good "deal" (for a Canadian family to travel to there). we would likely be driving(to use our own carseat)

added: my DW was being funny and said if i agree to go, she will buy me a Mickey Mouse dipe for our DS
funny how much that makes me think how cute a Mickey Mouse cloth dipe would be
(and think about nearby CD stores)

also! if you were potty training/learning, did the change to your little ones routine make it harder to do toileting while there?

Advertisement

Last edited by MySonsClothBum; 01-09-2011 at 02:02 PM.
MySonsClothBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

Re: Who has been to Disney World in FL with a 2-2.5 yr old?

We went to Disney a few months before my DS turned 2, and we had a blast. We bought the Singalong Disneyland DVD for him to watch so he could see all of the characters (I had heard that lots of LOs are scared when they see them IRL b/c they are so big.) We loved the parks, but went off season so there were not as many people as if you were to go in the summer. We didn't make DS wait in any lines. If he wanted to go on a ride, we would wait, but if it was something DH or I wanted to see and it had a line, we skipped it.

We followed DS' lead in terms of how much we packed into a day. He was down to one nap at that point, so he napped in the stroller and we would sit and have an ice cream, or one day we even took the monorail and switched parks, all while DS was sleeping. Another day we just stayed at the resort and enjoyed the pool.

I would go with a suite if you can afford it. At that age, it was always so hard to put my LOs down to bed, especially if we were all in one room. I would have to actually get in bed and lie down with them so they would stay there. With the suite, I could put the kids down, then go to the separate little TV area and watch movies with DH while the kids slept. We also used our kitchen a lot as eating out for every meal can get quite expensive.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I took a 9 month old, and stayed at the All-Stars. It was fabulous. We are going again this spring with a 4 year old and a 6 week old, and staying in the same place. Then, for the second half of our trip, MIL rented a condo through the Vacation Club, but the cost is ridiculous.

I would just take a stroller and an Ergo/Beco for waiting in lines, and lots of sippies, and know that you will have to go slower and pace yourself. You'll have a blast!

The worst part is waiting in lines. That is where an Ergo/Beco will be worth its weight in GOLD.

I would sign up for the MouseSavers.com email list, and DISboards.com as well.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 01-08-2011 at 03:59 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have not done DW yet, but DS has become a DL pro. I agree if your DS will ride in an Ergo they are amazing! He naps while we wait in line, and sometimes even on rides like Pirates

I personally think it is great fun to see the parks through a childs eyes. But do agree you need to set your pace to theirs. We do rides, meals and find tme to just let him run around. I also agree the disboard is a great way to get good information.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

I live about 45 minutes from WDW and we go fairly often, sometime for weekend trips. We stay off property because it's much cheaper.

I've been going [well since before they were born ] but I went when my first son was only 5 weeks old and have gone ever since. With two children the first time, my first son was 22 months old and my DS #2 was 2.5 months.

My own personal recommendations are:

[Since you're driving] stay off property at at lodging along Highway 192.
http://www.highway192kissimmee.com/main.htm
[From the pull down menus at the top, pick "lodging" and go from there to see the many many hotels/motels. You can do something with a suite/kitchen/efficiency thing. That helps with cost too.

Babywearing is a must to me. We have an Ergo. My now 4 year old walks mainly and the 2.5 year old generally likes to stroller ride now. But I still do the Ergo with him when he's tired and the 4 year old will nap a bit in the stroller.

Disney allows you to bring any any food/drink you want [barring glass containers and alcohol only.] So packing snacks, drinks, even meals for kiddos is a good thing! I know for us, the kids don't really appreciate the food right now so I pack things like their PB&J, goldfish, juices/water, etc. A bottle of water costs about $3 so it can be cost effective to bring your own.

I also recommend this site to help you plan. The people [in the forum] are so knowledgeable and have so much information from about all menus at the parks/etc to schedules!
http://intercot.com/

Also for fun, if it's their first visit, you can stop by any guest relations in the parks and get a free "first visit" button. They also have birthday ones, celebrating ones, etc.

Also, if, as adults you just want a light meal/lunch. At any of the counter service restaurants you can even order kids meals yourself and they come with a drink and cost between $5 and $7. For example at Cosmic Rays you can get a hamburger, fries and drink for $5. but the regular adult meals are about $9 - $11 without the drink.

Don't forget about the fun stuff that is often over looked as well like looking for hidden Mickey heads in all the parks and taking pictures. In EPCOT in World Showcase they have a kids stop in every country where they make free masks and add them to their collection. You can also [for $10 I believe] buy a "passport" and get it stamped/signed at each country. That is a lot of fun for the kids too

Hope you have an awesome trip!
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
Rockinmama24
Registered Users

My Mood:

We stayed at the All Stars Music in a family suite & it was perfect for our family of 7. Our DD did great & loved many of the rides. We wore her in a mai tai.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
MySonsClothBum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my son is 2 yrs old, i do not wear him. he either walks, gets carried, or rides in a stroller.
babywearing did not work well for me with him sadly
so i don't think starting NOW would work well enough for me to invest like $70+ for a good toddler carrier.
MySonsClothBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySonsClothBum View Post
my son is 2 yrs old, i do not wear him. he either walks, gets carried, or rides in a stroller.
babywearing did not work well for me with him sadly
so i don't think starting NOW would work well enough for me to invest like $70+ for a good toddler carrier.
True enough! I actually misread your title when first posting and for some reason thought it said you had two under 2! lol.

Anyway, skip the babywearing Do take your own stroller though. It's about $20 a day to rent one! Or just purchase a cheaper umbrella type there for the week.

Hope you have an awesome time!
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #9
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

It will be a blast! We've taken the older 2 to Disney World at that age, and the little one has been to Disneyland a bunch of times. I'm trying to talk dh in to going to DisneyWorld this March. Our youngest is about 30 months, and I know she will really enjoy it.

Do you just have one? We took my oldest when she was 2, and she was our only, and it was by far the easiest trip, as far as things go, because we just had her. But she was a super easy going toddler.

Absolutely bring your own stroller. And you can have a grocery store deliver groceries so you can snack in the room. We only eat out about once a day; dh and the kids get bored eating out. It's too bad, I love eating out! But the other meals we take in the room, or eat as snacks at the park.

You're going to have so much fun! I'm jealous!! I wish I could get dh on board for a DW trip this spring. He wants to go visit my sister.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:48 AM   #10
Leighleighbuggy
Registered Users
seller

We went in November. We have a 2 year old, a 3 year old and a 7 month old. We brought our triple stroller and stayed in a timeshare with 2 bedrooms. We bought groceries when we got there and took lots of snacks/juice boxes in our backpack. We had a four day park hopper pass, and we wore the boys out, but they were super good. The stroller was essential though. We actually went to the park a little later in the day so they could make it for the fireworks a couple nights at magic kingdom/epcot. We let them sleep in and had a slow morning and got to the park around noon. Then they were able to stay until the nighttime events. We had blast.
Leighleighbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote