Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2013, 12:54 AM   #31
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Med-free birthers?

I don't remember the ring of fire, really, but I think that is when all of my cussing happened. During pushing. I was ANGRY. "GET THIS EFFING THING OUT OF ME!!!!" Rofl.

And after birth pains-- I didn't have. The first one I was high as a kite on morphine, so I wouldn't remember anyway. The second one, they gave me pitocin because I had a history of hemorrhaging and I don't even remember it. They told me it would hurt and an hour later I asked if they were still planning on giving me pitocin and the nurse gave me this funny look because they had apparently already done it.

TMI- I think I dread the first PP BM more than giving birth ROFL.

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #32
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

The ring of fire wasn't what got me, it was when her shoulders were delivered! Ouch!!! I was yelling/swearing alot and I remember once she was out that I was apologizing profusely to everyone in the room, I am sure they had a good laugh about it later.

I totally forgot about the afterbirth pains...correct me if I am wrong, but don't they get worse with each baby?? yikes, they were bad enough after DD2 (like labour all over again).
Old 02-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #33
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was lucky and didn't get the ring of fire. It burned when he was crowning, but not too intensely. I even had a 2nd degree tear, but didn't think I had torn since it didn't burn that much. The attending OB was giving me a warm compress while I was delivering, though, so I bet that helped a lot. DH thought the compress was for holding my poop in.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #34
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also didn't have any afterpains with my first, even with the pitocin drip I had to slow my bleeding. I've heard they get worse with each child, too, so I'm not expecting to be so lucky this time.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #35
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My afterpains for my second weren't terrible.

I didn't get the ring of fire either! It didn't even burn when she crowned, I wonder if my endorphins were already kicked in.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #36
KatieB621
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've always gotten an epi with mine, although I'm really not sure why other than just to calm my nerves because I've always "heard" the ring of fire was so bad. This time I'm not going med-free again, but I'm opting not to get the epi either. I guess I'm wanting to go the middle route somewhat this time.

With DD I didn't know what the heck I was doing, so I got the epi too early and it wore off right as I was beginning to push. Luckily I only pushed for 5 min., but I felt EVERYTHING anyway, so really what was the point! They ended up giving me a local when I was being stitched up (I had a level 3 tear....OUCH!) It was weird because I couldn't feel when I was having ctx, but my bottom was WIDE awake. Because I couldn't feel the ctx, I didn't know when to push and had to rely on the nurses to tell me. Of course, they tell you to push again immediately after getting done with one push, so I was in one big, giant, continuous push during the entire labor. Nearly passed out because I forgot to breathe in between pushing.

With DS I knew to wait before I got it so that it wouldn't run out in the middle of pushing. I labored until 5 before I got the epi. They called for the epi and within 15 min. I was at 8-9. The dr. that was giving me the epi was scared to death that I was going to need to start pushing while he was trying to get the epi right. He got the epi right, so I didn't feel anything, but was able to still feel the ctx, so things worked out great. After he was born though I thought, "DARN....I was already at 9 by myself without the epi....Why did I even get the epi in the first place?"

I'm a whimp when it comes to pain, which is why I want a little something for the pain, but I want to try to do it without the epi this time. I know the thread said med-free mama's, but since even doing it middle of the road is different for me, I thought I'd share. Let's hope I don't cave when it comes down to it.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #37
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm shocked they would even give you an epi at a 9, my first said I needed to get it then at a 6 or not at all. They don't like to do it while in transition is my guess.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #38
mvp529
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris
My afterpains for my second weren't terrible.

I didn't get the ring of fire either! It didn't even burn when she crowned, I wonder if my endorphins were already kicked in.
I had the worst after pains with my first. They seem to do better the more kids I have. Maybe cuz my uterus doesn't even try to get down small again lololol
But I also dread that ring of fire. I pushed so hard and intensely from that pain I busted blood vessels all over my face, so I looked like a teen with cystic acne for days. I was so ugly. But it was amazing.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #39
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

See pushing felt SO good for me. Like yawning. It was just a instant relief from the contractions, they had to have me stop pushing (and holding a push, when your body wants to push, its like holding back a big sneeze, or a yawn ) because the doctor wasn't there and I guess the nurse didn't want to catch I'm really hoping this labor is as great as the last one.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #40
KatieB621
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
I'm shocked they would even give you an epi at a 9, my first said I needed to get it then at a 6 or not at all. They don't like to do it while in transition is my guess.
I dialated that quickly. It takes me a while to get to 5, but after 5 it's maybe an hour and I'm holding a LO. I think if he'd known that I was going that quickly he wouldn't have given it to me, but he was already in the process of getting the epi started when he asked the nurse how far along I was. When she said, "Oh she was at 8 or 9 just before you came in" he went into overdrive trying to hurry it up.