Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
brayden2020
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question Sick infant help....need insight! Nurses a plus!!

I am at total loss as to whats going on. Im hoping someone else has some fresh insight or has something similar they went thru.

DD is almost 11 months. She has been getting fevers on and off since October! All but two are for unknown reasons. One was from a known virus, other was a month ago and from strep. Whats concerning to me is it seems to be forming a pattern almost. She will have a fever that on average last 2 days, goes away on the 3rd day, then has low grade fever on 4th day and is then fine for another two weeks. There usually spaced two weeks apart. No other symptoms are shown while fever is present. The fevers usually run 101-102. This week she has ran a fever from wed til sat night. It got up to 103.5 then. I then gave Tylenol and it broke and hasn't returned *fingers crossed*.

Her history,
EBF!! No daycare at all, but does have two older siblings in school....they have not been sick other than the strep. NO smoking in the home, no alleriges, hardly ever out in public. Home is kept sanitized as can be.
She was diagnosed with a PFO murmur and a UTI at 11 days old but has had no problems since.

We took her to the Drs this past thurs and informed the Dr of the bout of fevers. Dr checked ears, throat, flu swab, and CBC blood panel and all came back perfect. Drs chalked it up to being a virus.
I was concerned about a possible auto immune, childhood cancer etc but Dr assured me that with the blood results that's not the case. She feels confident that this can be normal and this fever is just a viral thing She told e that infants can get up to 2 virues a month. Dr said 48 hrs for the fever but the fever lasted 4 days this time She has been extremely cranky and is sleeping way more than normal during the day. Teething is likely right now but I doubt it is the cause of the high fever and she has never been fussy during fevers.

I want to trust in my Ped....but I just cant help but worry that its something more.

Anyone else have a baby that is getting constant fevers? Or diagnosed with auto immune etc...?

Advertisement

brayden2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Sick infant help....need insight! Nurses a plus!!

Sounds like viruses to me. I was in healthcare for 15 years and got fevers with no other symptoms on and off. With LOs in school, their immune systems fight off the virus because they are used to it. Babies tend to manifest something. Where baby is EBF, there might be antibodies there to only manifest a fever to fight it off the rest of the way before you deal with upset tummies, diarreah, runny/stuffy noses, and that like. You would have seen if it was something more serious like cancer in the CBC panal. The blood samples would have been off in areas. As far as immune disorders go, if she had something that was compromising her immune system, you would probably have more symptoms and more consistant fevers that do not let up as the virus would not go away without help.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
brayden2020
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thank you for the reassurance. I'm hoping its just because of the nasty flu ridden season were experiencing.

Bring on spring!!
Old 02-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To give you a little reassurance my 7 year old cousin has also had multiple fevers since about November. Her mother is beside herself. Everytime she goes to doctor they diagnose it just a virus. The doctor told her that they are seeing alot of these this year where kids are repeatedly getting virus after virus.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
brayden2020
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
With no symptoms just fever? I really hope that is all it is. It's just so frustrating seeing your baby sick with no logical answer and no end in sight
Old 02-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

OP my daughter has this problem too. We were told that some children get cyclical fevers and that her body's immune system is very sensitive and produces a fever to fight off any little invader. We are so used to it that I don't even blink an eye unless her fever gets over 104.5 or she is lethargic. We go through a LOT of tylenol/ibuprofen.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would think viral and teething. My DS5 who has asthma and allergies tends to get sick more often, like you're describing, off and on since August. We did blood work and found he's allergic to dust mites, have attempted to cut out/reduce gluten in his diet and he's still getting sick! LOL not nearly as bad as the last time though. We all got the flu and it wasn't nearly as bad as the virus we had prior, or the strep he and 2 siblings had before and the stomach virus we had prior. It's been a bad year for illness. We're usually fairly healthy people and don't get flu shots or sick very often.
Also some babies are more fever-prone than others. My daycare baby runs low-grade fevers often and mom claims his sister never really ran a fever for the first couple years of life even when teething.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
jesajane
Registered Users

My Mood:

My friend's 7 month old is experiencing the same thing. They are at the dr. all the time. Drs just say it is viral. Scary but just keep tracking things.
jesajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #9
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mono? That's what my youngest has. Sounds similar. She's 3.
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
brayden2020
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Mono would've showed up in the blood work