Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #31
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: s/o Why are we so concerned about fomula feeders

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@hmommy View Post
I have yet to see anyone make that claim. People have simply given reasons why they couldn't or wouldn't bf that to many are legitimate reasons. I don't see were people get off thinking they have the right to question those mothers for their choice since it is an acceptable substitute.
Maybe not in this thread but it has happened and it happens a lot.
powdered milk is an acceptable choice to regular milk but I would not want to use it unless I absolutely had too.

BTW I did use formula with 2 babies for 8 mths it is a "choice" I had to make for medical reasons but I own that choice I don't let others make me feel bad,judged or guilty for doing so.

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 07:25 AM   #32
PBAki
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
why are we so concerned with other people's parenting decisions, period?
On the internet I'll agree but off the internet let's admit for once we all compare and gossip about others' parenting decisions
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #33
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattayanna_mom View Post
Maybe not in this thread but it has happened and it happens a lot.
powdered milk is an acceptable choice to regular milk but I would not want to use it unless I absolutely had too.

BTW I did use formula with 2 babies for 8 mths it is a "choice" I had to make for medical reasons but I own that choice I don't let others make me feel bad,judged or guilty for doing so.
But the sad truth is that there are people who are more affected by the harsh judgement of others. Those people that feel entitled to judge are doing nothing but making themselves feel superior while a mom doing the best she can has to feel like she isn't doing her best. I think those moms need support too, not just the bf moms. No one knows their struggles surrounding their choices, and it is not fair to make them feel bad about their choice to feed their child.

I tried to bf both of my kids, due to severely inverted nipples neither were ever able to latch, ever. I felt really guilty that I wasn't able to bf after both kids, now I could care less. I think feeding my baby is more important than the opinions of others on how I choose to do so. I will stand up for the moms though that are being made to feel like failures for choosing the best option available to them because I know that feeling all too well. Some people aren't as thick skinned as others.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #34
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
But the sad truth is that there are people who are more affected by the harsh judgement of others. Those people that feel entitled to judge are doing nothing but making themselves feel superior while a mom doing the best she can has to feel like she isn't doing her best. I think those moms need support too, not just the bf moms. No one knows their struggles surrounding their choices, and it is not fair to make them feel bad about their choice to feed their child.

I tried to bf both of my kids, due to severely inverted nipples neither were ever able to latch, ever. I felt really guilty that I wasn't able to bf after both kids, now I could care less. I think feeding my baby is more important than the opinions of others on how I choose to do so. I will stand up for the moms though that are being made to feel like failures for choosing the best option available to them because I know that feeling all too well. Some people aren't as thick skinned as others.
I did feel guilty for years but I came to the realization that getting upset over what others said made me feel worse when I let go of that guilt I felt a release.It's not so much those who had medical or physical(sexual) reasons for choosing to formula feed but those who just decide for the heck of it then get all up in arms and upset when someone says the least little thing about breastfeeding.
Yes I have heard many times FFers getting mad and upset at the mere mention of breast milk or breastfeeding.all that has to be said is something like "I want to breastfeed" and it on like donkey kong "OMG how day you judge me for ff" even though there was no mention of FF.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #35
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:

By this logic, anything that anyone could possibly be sensitive about should not be discussed because it might make them feel bad because they are not as thick skinned as others. That's just unrealistic. Especially if you want to turn around and judge anyone who has a different perspective just as harshly by saying they simply have a inferiority complex, etc, etc.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #36
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
I did feel guilty for years but I came to the realization that getting upset over what others said made me feel worse when I let go of that guilt I felt a release.It's not so much those who had medical or physical(sexual) reasons for choosing to formula feed but those who just decide for the heck of it then get all up in arms and upset when someone says the least little thing about breastfeeding.
Yes I have heard many times FFers getting mad and upset at the mere mention of breast milk or breastfeeding.all that has to be said is something like "I want to breastfeed" and it on like donkey kong "OMG how day you judge me for ff" even though there was no mention of FF.
lol. I guess I have been lucky enough not to encounter those types of people. I am one of very few formula users in my family, I personally do not want to share with them my reason for not bfing so I get lots of the snarky little comments from them when I have lo's around. DH always laughs and says "you should totally show them your nipples!" When he started making that joke is when I realized how silly they were being not having all the information.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #37
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
By this logic, anything that anyone could possibly be sensitive about should not be discussed because it might make them feel bad because they are not as thick skinned as others. That's just unrealistic. Especially if you want to turn around and judge anyone who has a different perspective just as harshly by saying they simply have a inferiority complex, etc, etc.
I am not opposed to discussion, I just don't care for people telling me what I give my child is garbage. And I never said anyone had an inferiority complex, just that the only good that could come from such judgement was one feeling better about them self.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #38
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
What you choose to do in the end is ultimately your choice but don't think for one minute that formula is the same,better or as good as breastmilk because it's not. It's simply an artifical substitute.
as for why we should be concerned there are many reasons...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/#sa-ns_mch...PublicRSS20-sa
http://www.infactcanada.ca/pdf/14-Risks-Small.pdf
http://www.vaccineriskawareness.com/...f-Formula-Milk
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2812877/

whatever choice you make be firm in it stop getting upset and feeling judged whenever someone questions your choice apparently you made it for a reason.
A PP already addressed that no one here has attempted to make such comparison.

I guess I still don't see why BF is such a hugely hotter topic than feeding your children organic vs inorganic food or whole foods vs processed foods. I also am completely amazed at the small volume of threads where prenatal nutrition is deeply discussed, analyzed, and debated. That's when the very building of our offspring occurs and we as mothers have total control over what we put into our bodies, yet we don't sit around and debate how to feed our unborn children with the same fervor. I almost see a "free pass" mentality, even amongst the uber health conscious crowd, to eat whatever you can keep down, follow your cravings, and don't worry if the food that works is from McD's or comes out of a crinkly bag.

ETA: I am having a really hard time with the links. I will just suffice it to say that comparing formula problems of the last century to today's formula, comparing formula usage in third world nations where sanitation is an issue even without a disaster to complicate the problem, and spinning everything so that it is against formula feeding instead of supportive of breastfeeding...Well, it just doesn't give a very balanced impression.

Last edited by mcpforever; 02-04-2013 at 08:51 AM.
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #39
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASMama711 View Post
there are people who put Kool-Aid (or soda, tea, etc.) in their babies' bottles?
I watched a Mom in Tennessee put Mountain Dew into her baby's bottle. The bottle looked like it was 20 years old. I was shocked. I'm still shocked by that. I can't for the life of me understand why you'd give soda in a baby bottle. The mom shook it to try to get some of the bubbles out first. Like it was the bubbles that would hurt the baby.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #40
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:

I am not opposed to discussion, I just don't care for people telling me what I give my child is garbage. And I never said anyone had an inferiority complex, just that the only good that could come from such judgement was one feeling better about them self.
The problem comes when stating objective, scientific facts is read as judgment. As pp's pointed out, breastfeeding rates as a whole are a public health issue. When you look at the AAP and WHO infant feeding recommendations, they even rank ff as the fourth best choice for feeding infants. That's not a value judgement, it's based on science and studies and a ton of research over years and years. However, many moms see it as a judgement on their own choices.

The other obvious thing is that on an internet discussion board about anything, but especially parenting, people make value judgements. If you (general) are so thin skinned or insecure in your own choices that some random person on the internet saying something negative about a choice you made for your family...then DS is probably not the place for you. I say this as someone who personally had to opt out of the current events forum here because I was taking the debates too personally.