Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #21
dvrgrl38
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Starting a Mama Cloth Stash

Just wanted to say Pink Lemonaid has a 14% off coupon code today on her fb pade

Advertisement

ISO: 1 skein Bear and pants no sleep til Brooklyn
dvrgrl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #22
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrgrl38 View Post
Just wanted to say Pink Lemonaid has a 14% off coupon code today on her fb pade
Oh no, now I have to go buy some!
Old 02-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #23
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozartswannabe View Post
Starting momma cloth seems so intimidating! And the start up costs are so high, but don't seem like they would pay off financially like diapers! I'm sure they will health wise though. I'd love to try it, but I'm having a hard time getting started too! I think I'd like to try making my own, but even that seems intimidating!
It's way worth it to me. Personally my period has gone from 7 to 4 days. Is lighter and zero cramps and bloating. It takes a few months to start noticing, but it's amazing. I look forward to my period. Idk too many sposie users that say that. Lol
Old 02-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #24
Skybaby712
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozartswannabe View Post
Starting momma cloth seems so intimidating! And the start up costs are so high, but don't seem like they would pay off financially like diapers! I'm sure they will health wise though. I'd love to try it, but I'm having a hard time getting started too! I think I'd like to try making my own, but even that seems intimidating!
Yes it definitely pays off, to me even faster than dipes. And like pp, you're going to have periods longer than it'd take for your LO to PL. Way worth it! And another great reason to switch is for comfort. Sposie pads and tampons are NOT comfy to anyone. The tampons irritate and dry, the pads are hot, smelly, and sticky. Mama cloth and the cup are painless and very comfy. Think about the softness of a padfolded flat in your undies vs. plastic pads.

OP, your long periods are most likely going to get shorter and lighter. I noticed mine did after a few months. I love GEM cloth. They are trim, absorbant, and cute. I also love The Silver Liner. Both are affordable options.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #25
Bellaroo
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MothyrGrimm View Post
I adore Essence of Eve!!! Her obv is so soft and the pads are so squishy soft. I also love Yurtcraft because they're really thin too - cute prints too!

ETA: I use a bucket. Everything stays dry until I do my soaks and wash at the end of my cycle. I was using a wetbag and rinsing them as soon as I use one, but my pads were getting musty and staining. Love my wash routine now.
Ditto! I just placed my second order with Essence of Eve and got my shipping notice withing three hours (on a Friday night!). She has a great product and her customer service can't be beat.

She has a couple of things listed on her Etsy page right now. Including a pretty nice introductory kit if you just want to get a feel for her style.

I use a wet pail with oxy clean. I change the water frequently and the pads soak until I do a wash.
Bellaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #26
filiadeluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bump for a related question of my own...

What would you ladies recommend as a complete *postpartum only* mama cloth stash, for someone who normally uses a Diva Cup, and won't use pads anytime except after giving birth, since you *have* to while you are recovering? I bled very heavily for SIX WEEKS postpartum, so I would need some pretty thick pads. I was using super maximum or whatever the thickest disposable pads are and changing them ever 2-4 hours sometimes after by first baby. I had a 3rd degree tear too, so if I tear this time, I think mama cloth would be nice to have because it's softer. I really don't care about prints since nobody is going to see it but me - just something that will hide stains and is comfortable and absorbs well.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #27
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Although used pads weird me out, I'd consider scoping the FSOT for new/used PP MC in that situation, especially if you expect this to be your last kid. If you think you'll have more, then I'd get some nice new ones directly from a seller. After all, that's like having 7 heavy periods in a row per birth.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #28
WeeEssentials
Registered Users
Formerly: cmarie14
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by filiadeluna View Post
Bump for a related question of my own...

What would you ladies recommend as a complete *postpartum only* mama cloth stash, for someone who normally uses a Diva Cup, and won't use pads anytime except after giving birth, since you *have* to while you are recovering? I bled very heavily for SIX WEEKS postpartum, so I would need some pretty thick pads. I was using super maximum or whatever the thickest disposable pads are and changing them ever 2-4 hours sometimes after by first baby. I had a 3rd degree tear too, so if I tear this time, I think mama cloth would be nice to have because it's softer. I really don't care about prints since nobody is going to see it but me - just something that will hide stains and is comfortable and absorbs well.
Well, it's a bit of self promotion for myself, but you can also buy the pattern from Very Baby's website, which is not self-promotion...

I sell the Baby Moon shells - I'm pretty sure I'm the only licensed seamstress making them now that Very Baby got sold off... But they are big shells (I make the main part wipeable) and they come with inserts to put in the shell. Also, an ice pocket. Hopefully this doesn't turn out huge:

I sell them as made-to-order listings here but you can also buy the pattern here. (Hehe, that's also my picture of the pink/green shell on the pattern page.)

I was thinking for heavy bleeders that it may be more efficient to use an infant prefold folded in thirds to catch the blood, though I haven't tried it to be sure that the shell would be deep enough for all that cloth...

Make it reusable! Wipe Solution, Wipes, Mama Cloth, Wet Bags, Unpaper towels, Food Baggies, & more!
WeeEssentials on Etsy
Gabe 3-06, Ezra 9-08, & Madeline 5-10 and Abigail 12/12!
WeeEssentials is offline   Reply With Quote