Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #21
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I'm thinking the T.V. is gonna go soon if I have to see another....

Beyonce's performance was so bad that my 9 year old son covered his own eyes and said "why is she so sexy, I don't want to see that, mom". Don't they realize families are watching? So horrible. ABC says "a new kind of family". DH says it is because everyone is so desensitized. I agree sometimes I don't want to have cable. Victorious is banned here as well. That show is nasty. I have had other parents say their kids watch it all the time. I usually watch shows with my kids and if all they do is zoom in on crotches, it isn't a great kids show. It always makes jokes that are super sexual in nature.

Advertisement

Last edited by Vivhop98; 02-04-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Vivhop98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #22
SamanthaLove88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivhop98 View Post
Beyonce's performance was so bad that my 9 year old son covered his own eyes and said "why is she so sexy, I don't want to see that, mom". Don't they realize families are watching? So horrible. ABC says "a new kind of family". DH says it is because everyone is so desensitized. I agree sometimes I don't want to have cable. Victorious is banned here as well. That show is nasty. I have had other parents say their kids watch it all the time. I usually watch shows with my kids and if all they do is zoom in on crotches, it isn't a great kids show. It always makes jokes that are super sexual in nature.

Omg yes and she licks her finger. My husband and I looked at each other and agreed that that was more disgusting than sexy.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #23
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I hear ya! When its just me and the kids at home, we only watch Nick Jr. and other more family friendly things (maybe why Im so sensitized to seeing sex references). But, it bothers me to no end that every other show has nakedness, or sex references. Its disgusting they think sex sells EVERYTHING!!!! :-(

Last edited by amb2j; 02-04-2013 at 09:15 AM.
amb2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #24
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yep, we ditched the cable/satilite in part for that reason and also because it just sucks up your time and attention. So much better w/o it. We have netflix for when we want to watch a show and the kids like the pbs kids shows. It's actually almost still too much tv.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #25
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaLove88 View Post
My kids only watch pre-watched movies like Cars, Toy Story what have you and then we dvr things like Thomas the Train, Little Bear, Blues Clues, etc. But when the t.v. wants to switch out because my husband's show is recording is when I worry. Then they get a glimpse of BBC channel commercial for example where the king is biting the lip of the town wench and what have you. A little ridiculous.

I don't like how every action movie now has a bada$$ girl in it- now don't get me wrong. I love seeing a bada$$ girl in a movie, it's awesome, go women! But why does she have to dress like a stripper? I seriously doubt you can karate chop and drive a fast car with THAT tight of leather pants and leather bra on. Really? NOONE dresses like that. I just don't like how they have to oversexualize a woman on t.v. The plot of the movie is awesome enough as it is, she's kicking full grown men's butts! Why does she have to do it half naked?
the number one reason that they oversexualize women? men like it. they pay for it. they tell their buddies about it. it's all to bring in ratings/money. that's it. they don't care if the women don't like it... the men are most important. that's why you don't see half naked men running around in every movie. women don't really care about that junk for the most part.

and that's my biggest problem. i know that 1/2 the time my husband is sitting there thinking, "why can't my wife be like that?" same thing with ****. the reality is... i CAN'T be that girl. i just can't. that's what upsets me so much. it's like, these movies/girls/people are setting me up to be a failure automatically because i can't real life photo shop my body, i'm not a contortionist, and i can't dtd for 4 hours, in 16 different positions. i'm a mother. i'm tired. and i have a bit more respect for myself than that. excuse me if i don't walk around half naked, jumping at your every advance, with perfect and precise tatas, with the appropriate amount of energy. no.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #26
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Although I'm guilty of watching Girls, I agree... TV has become far too sexual, violent and filled with bad language. We stick to Disney Jr pretty much when DS is awake.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #27
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaLove88 View Post
But why does she have to dress like a stripper? I seriously doubt you can karate chop and drive a fast car with THAT tight of leather pants and leather bra on. Really? NOONE dresses like that. I just don't like how they have to oversexualize a woman on t.v. The plot of the movie is awesome enough as it is, she's kicking full grown men's butts! Why does she have to do it half naked?
I always drive my Ferrari down the interstate with my wildly long, blonde hair blowing in the wind, in my leather bra and tight leather pants. ... that is, when I'm not grocery shopping in my 4" diamond studded heels, leather mini-skirt, and low-cut V neck, backless shirt that only barely covers my nipples.

I thought this was normal... no?
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #28
SamanthaLove88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
I always drive my Ferrari down the interstate with my wildly long, blonde hair blowing in the wind, in my leather bra and tight leather pants. ... that is, when I'm not grocery shopping in my 4" diamond studded heels, leather mini-skirt, and low-cut V neck, backless shirt that only barely covers my nipples.

I thought this was normal... no?

hahaha I think I love you AND your humor!!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #29
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

We only have a few local channels but rarely watch those. We watch very little tv and when we do it's something pretty wholesome like little house on the prairie or Cosby dvds. I don't want my kids watching that kind of garbage on tv. Shoot, I don't even want DH and I watching it.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #30
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

My only beef with TV in relation to my kids is Nick Jr turning into that crap nick mom at 8 pm. That's my kids' bedtime. If we're relaxed about it, that crap is on before they go to bed. Also, flame me all you want, but my almost 4 year old goes to sleep very well with the TV on. But he can't watch nick Jr in bed, because that crap will come on. And those women aren't the least bit funny on that "stand up comedy" show, and I use those words only because that's how it's described. I bet toenails are more entertaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieSeeking View Post
You know, I loved the movie Grease as a kid. Loved it. It wasn't until later that I realized how sexual it was. I didn't turn out to be sleezy in high school because my mom willingly let me watch it. I would venture to say because she didn't call attention to it by making a big deal of all the sexual references, I never caught on. And by the time I was old enough to understand, I knew it was for entertainment, not because most high school students act like that.
Agreed.