Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #151
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I've been thinking about getting a ninja. You don't like yours?

Advertisement

Cautiously expecting #4 10/6/16
EmmaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #152
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Dave Ramsey Support Thread ~ Feb 4 - Feb 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
How do you know others are giving $100/person for a wedding gift? I've never discussed it with friends before and I give what I want to give, regardless of what my friends or family are giving. I tend to do $50 to $100, depending on who is getting married.
$100+ per person is the going rate in NJ. My parents live there, and I grew up there and have been to many weddings. We don't discuss it with friends, but it seems like everyone just knows that is what is given.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #153
Heather1583
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna1988 View Post

We have a magic bullet. It doesn't blend 100%, but the peices are seriously so tiny I don't care. They aren't any bigger than berry seeds. We really like our magic bullet considering its only $50. It's up to making nut butters too (and its even smoother than store bought fresh ground nut butters), which I hear most blunders can't do well. I think it blends TOO well for most things, we can't make chunky salsa like in the infomercial I've had it since I was a freshman in college, so 7 years. I like it better than the ninja we got a year or so ago.
What about an immersion blender? I was wondering if they would do a good job at those types of jobs too. I don't have one but I was contemplating it. I saw them at kohls for $20 the other day.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #154
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather1583 View Post
What about an immersion blender? I was wondering if they would do a good job at those types of jobs too. I don't have one but I was contemplating it. I saw them at kohls for $20 the other day.
An immersion blender is much like a magic bullet--you have to pulse or the motor will burn out. We have a magic bullet and an immersion blender (I use the latter mostly for soups and sauces). I really would like a food processor, but otherwise, with those two, I see no real need for a full size blender.

Health insurance question... Who doesn't have an employer sponsored plan? What sort of plan do you have? HMO? PPO? Do you like it? HSA or not? I need to start looking into this ASAP... we've been paying cash because we couldn't afford insurance on DH's SE income, but until now, we've had the back up of knowing that we'd qualify for retroactive medicaid if something major happened (as it did with DS2's broken femur in 2011). With DH's potential income this year, we won't have that option and need to get insurance, but coming from a country with socialized health care, I find it intimidating. Help!
Old 02-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #155
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM
I've been thinking about getting a ninja. You don't like yours?
It's okay. We use it to make large batches of smoothies, but we all like different things, so the magic bullet is easier most of the time. It doesn't blend kale or spinach as well either, so IMO its no better than a real blender. We only have it because it was a gift, we wouldn't have bought it.
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #156
hsleonard
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
How do you know others are giving $100/person for a wedding gift? I've never discussed it with friends before and I give what I want to give, regardless of what my friends or family are giving. I tend to do $50 to $100, depending on who is getting married.

I agree about paying the taxes first.

And, that is why I don't use a debit card, except for a few things. I would always be forgetting and it would be a mess! Sorry you ran into taht.
It is kind of the unspoken rule around here.

As far as the debt card I haven't carried it with me for almost 2 years and I had it in my possession for 2 days, it was less than $100 mess up but I bought groceries on the debit and didn't write it down, then DH took out our food money for the week and went shopping thinking we hadn't spent any SO it was a total break down in communication on our part.
so me and the debit card have parted ways again, for me it has to be cash!!!
Thirty-one gifts
Come swag with me!!! I have earned over $100 in amazon gift cards so far
Zycon Foods -"saving money on high-quality food products."
hsleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #157
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna1988

It's okay. We use it to make large batches of smoothies, but we all like different things, so the magic bullet is easier most of the time. It doesn't blend kale or spinach as well either, so IMO its no better than a real blender. We only have it because it was a gift, we wouldn't have bought it.
I feel I should also add, we don't have a blender or food processor. Magic bullet or knife is all we have for chopping, stand mixer or spoons/whisks for blending.
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #158
lakemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rverrone11 View Post
$100+ per person is the going rate in NJ. My parents live there, and I grew up there and have been to many weddings. We don't discuss it with friends, but it seems like everyone just knows that is what is given.
OK, so the 'expectation' is that every couple that attends a wedding/reception is giving a $200 gift?!!!!!!! I would never go to another wedding again. We usually do $50-75 and I've never heard of any 'expectations' of dollar values ever rumored or discussed in regards to any wedding I've attended, been in, or hosted. Maybe its an east coast thing? I'm just so blown away by this I can't get my head around it.
lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #159
MakingHome
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just got a lump sum payment on my old 401k /it was just sitting there and I won't be going back to work anytime soon). It will pay off our credit card in full and I am so so so excited. we totally would not have even thought of that as an out and probably would've forgotten about the 401k if I hadn't started thinking more about all this DR/pay off debt like a fiend stuff. It is going to feel so good to pay that bad boy off in FULL.

I aim to encourage Christian women at Making Home.
MakingHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #160
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakemom View Post
OK, so the 'expectation' is that every couple that attends a wedding/reception is giving a $200 gift?!!!!!!! I would never go to another wedding again. We usually do $50-75 and I've never heard of any 'expectations' of dollar values ever rumored or discussed in regards to any wedding I've attended, been in, or hosted. Maybe its an east coast thing? I'm just so blown away by this I can't get my head around it.
Yup, crazy, isn't it? But the weddings I've been to in NJ are generally more extravagant than the ones in other states, especially out west.

When DH and I got married (in Utah), my relatives from NJ all gave us huge gifts, and his friends and relatives gave smaller gifts ($10-$50). I personally think giving $200/couple is outrageous.

DH and I finally made a budget, and we now have a set amount of spending money each month. I actually really like it because I don't feel guilty spending money! It's also fun trying to keep our grocery shopping under budget.