Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #161
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Went grocery shopping for the week with only $45 because I was way over last week. I got food for the week for $41! I really thought I'd go over but I just made it.

Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #162
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakingHome View Post
We just got a lump sum payment on my old 401k /it was just sitting there and I won't be going back to work anytime soon). It will pay off our credit card in full and I am so so so excited. we totally would not have even thought of that as an out and probably would've forgotten about the 401k if I hadn't started thinking more about all this DR/pay off debt like a fiend stuff. It is going to feel so good to pay that bad boy off in FULL.
Uh oh that wont hurt you come tax time next year, will it?
Old 02-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #163
MakingHome
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dave Ramsey Support Thread ~ Feb 4 - Feb 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecandi View Post
Uh oh that wont hurt you come tax time next year, will it?
More than half of it had been taxed on the front end. Plus we always get pretty big refunds. It'll hit us but not hard. It will decrease our refund amount by some, but well still get a refund. So yeah we pre thought it but decided to do this to pay it all off now.

I aim to encourage Christian women at Making Home.
MakingHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:03 AM   #164
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP
Going grocery shopping today. I never used to go over budget since I raised it, but I totally am right now... and I don't really care a whole lot. We have just enough to cover it and everything else is paid and I really want some bagels and cream cheese, trader joe's chcoolate and Pom Tea I think I have some issues.

I am filing our taxes this afternoon and I am taking our expired car seat in to the BRU trade-in to get DD's booster seat. I ordered one of the Radians last night using a $60 amazon card that we got for Christmas. When DH was saving up for his iPad mini, I traded him his half ($50) for cash from the baby envelope and I kept forgetting I had it, so it brought the price of the radian down a bit. I have 4 more months to save up for another one (easy), but I am going to try the radian and booster with my myride 65 before buying another radian.

I also need to go to the Hanna outlet tomorrow or monday because my daughter has no pants.

Also, do any of you thrifty mamas have a blendtec or vitamix? I am debating starting a Vitamix fund because our CSA starts up in just over a month and I could really use someplace to put all of that spinnach and greens. My blender, no matter how much I want it to blend, only chops the greens.
We have a Vitamix and I absolutely love it. Not at all thrifty, but it was my birthday/mother's day/Christmas present one year. It gets used nearly daily.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:10 AM   #165
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:

I am having 1st world problems today lol

DH decided he wants to put the entire tax refund on the truck......which takes care of a little more than half the note and does not help us in the short term. We are still discussing it, but I want to pay off his cc which puts 125 back into the budget immediately, and there is still plenty left over to put towards the truck, or another cc. Right now we dont have much breathing room and it would make me feel more secure to not have to count pennies at the end of the month.

Am I right here? What do I say to win him over?
Old 02-10-2013, 12:39 AM   #166
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

DH decided he wants to put the entire tax refund on the truck......which takes care of a little more than half the note and does not help us in the short term. We are still discussing it, but I want to pay off his cc which puts 125 back into the budget immediately, and there is still plenty left over to put towards the truck, or another cc. Right now we dont have much breathing room and it would make me feel more secure to not have to count pennies at the end of the month.

I'm with you on this one. We paid off all of our little ones first and snowballed it.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:33 AM   #167
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP

I'm with you on this one. We paid off all of our little ones first and snowballed it.
Me too.
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:49 AM   #168
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakemom View Post
OK, so the 'expectation' is that every couple that attends a wedding/reception is giving a $200 gift?!!!!!!! I would never go to another wedding again. We usually do $50-75 and I've never heard of any 'expectations' of dollar values ever rumored or discussed in regards to any wedding I've attended, been in, or hosted. Maybe its an east coast thing? I'm just so blown away by this I can't get my head around it.
Me too! Crazy. But, hey if you're the first of your friends to get married, I guess you can just stick the money away to give back as they get married . I also think if I did go to a wedding, I wouldn't go with my husband. We'd pick one of us.

Here, I receivd gifts from our registry ($20 or up mostly) and a couple friends went in on more expensive things. I received $200 from my grandparents and that was the largest $ amount. DH's parents bought us a dishwasher.

I don't ever compare with friends for what they're giving, so I don't know how a rule that no one ever talks about works. How do you know unless you're the first to get married that everyone gives you $100?

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:56 AM   #169
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
We just got a lump sum payment on my old 401k /it was just sitting there and I won't be going back to work anytime soon). It will pay off our credit card in full and I am so so so excited. we totally would not have even thought of that as an out and probably would've forgotten about the 401k if I hadn't started thinking more about all this DR/pay off debt like a fiend stuff. It is going to feel so good to pay that bad boy off in FULL.
Quote:
More than half of it had been taxed on the front end. Plus we always get pretty big refunds. It'll hit us but not hard. It will decrease our refund amount by some, but well still get a refund. So yeah we pre thought it but decided to do this to pay it all off now.
It'll have a 10% penalty on it too, for early withdrawl.

And, FWIW, my old 401k, that is now an IRA, has increased by 50% since I stopped contributing to it 8.5 years ago, even with the horrible market for a couple years. Rolling it to an IRA is always an option and it lets you continue to use time for retirement. Everytime you start over, you really lose ground. We make way more a year on gains than on contributions at this point, because we started 17 years ago.

Congrats on paying off a card in full! That must feel awesome!

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!

Last edited by KrisM; 02-10-2013 at 03:59 AM.
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:01 AM   #170
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:

Pay off little ones that allow you to take that $, and build ef and snowball. Ccs also have higher interest rates so up rd throwing $ away by putting more money on the truck and not have anything paid off
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote