Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #21
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetgrace View Post

I usually like to spend $50 or so on wedding gifts.
Lol...Im cheap. 20$ for weddings and baby showers for close friends.
10$ for birthday parties (everyone gets art supplies from the dollar tree). For Christmas, me and my sis are both broke so we made a rule that only the kids get presents and theres a 25$/kid limit.

Thats how we roll, lol.

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #22
bluecandi
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_mommy78 View Post
We are FINALLY closing on our refi this week! So that means we get to skip a mortgage payment! Yay!
We are taking a trip to Disney next month, and I am SO excited. We haven't been anywhere on a plane for over 4 years! I am trying to do our trip as thrifty as possible. We are staing at a hotel that provides breakfast, packing our lunch into the park, and only buying dinners there. I am also buying Disney items at the dollar storem and walmart to give to the kids as souviners. We are going to let them pick out 1 thing at the end of our trip. DH and I came up with a budget for the trip, and I am hoping that by doing some of these things we will come in under budget, but still have an amazing time.
In this case I think you should get a new vehicle. Transportation is a need, and right now, yours is not adequate for your family. Yall are pretty much grown out of minivans and suburbans......one of those big passenger vans? I dont know what they start at but I would pay cash for a used one and throw the rest at the loan.

Good luck!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #23
bluecandi
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedKingdom View Post
Why is it that when things finally start looking up, crap starts raining down? I had this plan all in place to get back into doing envies and DH finally realized that he needs to be making more money (he's been having a hard time with his attitude lately, he's trying to figure out how to be happy again). DS fell on the ice on Friday night and broke his arm just above the wrist. Good news is that it's just cracked, doesn't need surgery or anything, but we're looking at 8 weeks of recovery (and we can't get health insurance for him right now). I mean, it's not the end of the world, but I was finally starting to get excited about life. I know it could've been so much worse, but I still feel picked on
Man!! That stinks!!! But to be honest, he is lucky. It would have been A LOT more complicated if it broke on a growth plate. Hugs! I hope things start looking up!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #24
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dave Ramsey Support Thread ~ Feb 4 - Feb 10

My car failed DEQ-- air quality check to be registered. I dropped it off at the shop tonight. We were going to wait until we paid off DH's car to get me a new one too-- but if my car that is worth less than 1k costs a bunch of money to get fixed, I am not sure what we will do. We just bought DH a car on Saturday.

WWYD if you could afford the payment and were planning on getting a second car ANYWAY next year, and it would it would take 2- 2 1/2 years to pay off both cars, and you had a FFEF in the bank and no other debt?

Holy run-on sentence, Batman

Last edited by AmberP; 02-04-2013 at 10:43 PM.
AmberP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #25
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP
My car failed DEQ-- air quality check to be registered. I dropped it off at the shop tonight. We were going to wait until we paid off DH's car to get me a new one too-- but if my car that is worth less than 1k costs a bunch of money to get fixed, I am not sure what we will do. We just bought DH a car on Saturday.

WWYD if you could afford the payment and it would it would take 2- 2 1/2 years to pay off both cars, and you had a FFEF in the bank and no other debt.
I would not go back into debt unless you have truely changed your way of thinking. Trust me, it's a fine line between car debt and credit cards. And if you can talk yourself into one, the other is right there. Spoken from the lady that was debt free 4 years ago, yet a van loan started it all back for us.
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #26
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakingHome View Post
Thanks for the answer. :-/ I guess true dr would go crazy fitting 8 people in a little Tahoe. LOL. Well have to think about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post

WWYD if you could afford the payment and were planning on getting a second car ANYWAY next year, and it would it would take 2- 2 1/2 years to pay off both cars, and you had a FFEF in the bank and no other debt?

Depends on what's wrong with it. My dad has gotten many a car to pass Orego DEQ by running a bottle of injector cleaner and a tank or two of high octane gas through them.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #27
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
Depends on what's wrong with it. My dad has gotten many a car to pass Orego DEQ by running a bottle of injector cleaner and a tank or two of high octane gas through them.
I actually ran fuel injector cleaner through it about 2k miles ago when I got the oil changed. At DEQ, it didn't give a code, but my service engine light is on. I was told that the Service Engine Soon light popped on at 102k because I didn't take it in for the 100k service. I took it down to J&M. So hopefully I will know tomorrow.

I guess I am asking wwyd if it wound up costing more than the car is worth to get it fixed again (after I just put over $900 into it in October).
Old 02-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #28
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumstoppers View Post
I would not go back into debt unless you have truely changed your way of thinking. Trust me, it's a fine line between car debt and credit cards. And if you can talk yourself into one, the other is right there. Spoken from the lady that was debt free 4 years ago, yet a van loan started it all back for us.
We truly have. We budget every month and nearly always stick to it. We may go over on take out or groceries once in a while, but that is about it. We live under our means, by quite a lot. We already did the one loan for DH and have a plan to have it paid off by March or April of next year (depending on if we get Christmas money or not). The second car would add another 12-14 months to that plan depending on the amount of the loan.

IDK. I don't want to do it, but a new car would make my life so much easier LOL I had just resigned myself to figuring out the carseat situation (getting three in my car) and getting the interior detailed so that it wasn't molding anymore, and waiting it out. Then it failed DEQ and I am ready to throw it over and move on I am awful.

Last edited by AmberP; 02-05-2013 at 12:35 AM.
AmberP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:45 AM   #29
lakemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post

Seriously "I" would buy a decent used car with some of the FFEF and then work on paying that back because they can't repossess a paid for car if crap happens in your life. I let dh talk me into a car loan a year ago (his name only haha) and it make me literally nauseous every month when the payment comes out of the account (only $172 but ). I just hate it. We have a goal this year of growing our FFEF up to 8 months (from 3) but I'm secretly going to try and pay the car off too because he thinks the loan is "rebuilding his credit". What for? The house is paid for and we never intend to move, this is the VERY LAST car loan he is EVER going to have, and really even when our credit was horrendous our insurance wasn't any more than it is now. I'm with Dave on aiming for a 0 credit score rather than a 'good' one.
lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:01 AM   #30
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would pay cash or make this one work until dhs loan is paid off.

Edited cuz I can't type.

Last edited by ulawolf; 02-05-2013 at 06:10 AM.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote