Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #11
KatieB621
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: August 2013~ weekly chat ~ 2/4-10

QOTW: Yeah, I'm like Steven's mom! I live in the same town I grew up in. My parents live 7 min. away and both of my sisters live less than 10 min. away. We all get together every Sunday after church to eat dinner together.

DH is from Anderson, SC (about 5 hrs. from where we live). At the age of 9 his parents packed all of them up and moved here so that they could move into his dad's family homeplace. We went to HS together and moved about 10 miles away after we got married (one county over...hehehe...we went REALLY far!) Anway, when DH's parents got divorced last year we ended up with the homeplace because both his mom and dad wanted it. Long story short, the best decision was for neither to get it and it go to the next person in line to inherit the house....DH. This is why we live in a 100+ year old home in the same town that basically both of us grew up in. DH's dad now lives in MD and his mom rents our old house from us. She's already re-married and is on the road a lot with her new truck-driving husband, so neither of his parents are around much, ergo why DH is so close with MY family.

AFM: Went round and round between EI and dr. offices about DS's PT. Turns out we are now going to have to drive an hour who knows how many times a week so that we can get PT services for him. The EI program in our area only has one PT, and she wouldn't be able to get to him on a regular basis. None of the PT in town can do it because they aren't trained to work with PED patients. The closest PED PT is in Savannah, which means an hour drive for me (one way) 2-3 times a week (and that's just a guess). We have a large Suburban, so gas is going to eat us alive unless I can use my mom's little car and let her use mine on the days he has therapy. Also, that means finding a sitter for DD for those times. Everyone in my family (except one sister) works and can't take off to help me with DD. The one sister that I have that doesn't work is pg with #6, so I really hate to ask her to keep DD 2-3 x a week, KWIM? I really don't know what I'm going to do. We'll figure it out though. I may be calling in favors left and right from people to watch DD or see if I can't take her with me.

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #12
KatieB621
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dp

Last edited by KatieB621; 02-05-2013 at 09:41 AM.
KatieB621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #13
Andbabymakes2
Registered Users
seller

Katie - uh, yeah, I 'd be borrowing mom's car too! eek! GL with finding help with dd.

I think it's pretty cool that some of you have never moved. I wish I had deep roots somewhere. I've always been nomadic. Part of my moving was due to being in the military when I was young. That was fun. My SIL is from this town, and when her dad died she inherited a bunch of rentals, so they moved here. Since they had the only grandkids at the time, mil followed them here. We went through a really bad financial situation and moved down here, bought one of their rentals, fixed(ing) it up. (in my siggy) So we are mortgage free! But being in this small town stinks. lol
Old 02-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #14
momto2princesses
Registered Users

I live in Maryland in the same town I grew up in...but I was in Boston for college, back in MD for medical school, New Orleans for residency, Houston for fellowship and worked there for a few years after...we only just (as in 3 months ago) moved back here so the kids could be closer to family. My parents, grandmother and my brother and his wife and son all live here as well. My husband is also from Maryland (but about 3 hours west of where we live now) and his parents and siblings (5 of them) all live in Maryland also. Its nice to be near family most of the time :-)
Kirra, mom to my three crazy girls, Maebelle (12/22/07) and Adelaide (2/26/10-my HBAC baby!) and Etta (8/7/13) and expecting little squish #4 (sometime in 4/16)
momto2princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Katie....we have dinner at my parents every sunday night too. With my grandma and my sister.

We also have dinner at my inlaws every Saturday night. And they watch dd every Tuesday morning when I volunteer in ds's room.

I love being close to family
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Okay I have a question for the people that are like me and live far from family or where they grew up.

Tonight I was talking to my grandmother, and I mentioned to her that I talk to my ex-step father's family on Facebook (this sounds strange but honestly it isn't. Ex-step dad is really Dad #2 for me and I will ALWAYS see him like a second father for me. And honestly his family likes me better then Dad #2's daughter... but that isn't saying much). Anyway, my grandmother commented on when she went down to see them (they are in Louisiana) when my mom was still married to dad #2 that they all welcomed her in with open arms and like she was always part of the family.

I told her that it was the same way when I went to Wisconsin to see my DH's extended family. DH has never lived more then a few weeks in Wisconsin (his parents met and married there but never lived there with him because his father was in the Army when he was born). Anyway when I went out there, I was there for 2 hours (if that) when one of them went up to me gave me a HUGE hug and said "welcome home!"

So I am wondering if anyone else thinks it is cool that they not only have one place to call home, but several (in my case)? I mean I know that I could go to WI or LA or WA or OR or FL and have a home RIGHT NOW if I needed it.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #17
Andbabymakes2
Registered Users
seller

Jennifer- This is the first time in my life that I've lived near family. (even if they are il's) My mom is 3hrs away with her dh and his family. My dad is in MI with his dw, kids, and my paternal side of the family. So yeah, I could move other places and we'd be welcomed as well. Before moving here we'd looked into moving near my mom but everything was overpriced for crappy houses and rentals were just as bad. MI prices were way out of our range too. We got our house here so cheap that we couldn't pass it up.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:25 AM   #18
lovemuppet
Registered Users
seller
seller

Where are you from, and where are you now? extra- how'd you get there?
I am from Central Massachusetts and currently live in Virginia Beach, VA. DH is in the Marines and this is where he's stationed. I moved from MA in 2003 or 2004 to Beaufort, SC (what a culture shock!). We only have a few years left until he retires and we will hopefully be going back to MA. I miss my family!

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/lovemuppet
lovemuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #19
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

AOTW: We live about 2 hours from where I was born and 4 hours from where DH was born, but we both bopped around a bit in the years in between. I'm not sure whether I'm sad or relieved to not be in the same town as either of our families - depends on the day, I guess.

Katie - hope you find a good solution for your DS's PT appointments.

This stage of pregnancy is really annoying for me... I'd really just like to get to the point that I'm feeling lots of movement everyday. Wish I could fast-forward a few weeks.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #20
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Man, I hardly have a belly yet, and I already feel like I could use a support band at times. Anyone else feeling like this?