Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My poor baby! Dreading the trauma and judgement.

My DD 2 is 13 mos and her teeth are deteriorating before my eyes.

I feel so helpless. When her teeth erupted at 8 mos they had visable brown spots. Now they are mottled decalcified white and off white.

I took her to the ped dentist at the first sign of decay hoping for some advice
They just told me to keep brushing.

Advertisement

mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: My poor baby! Dreading the trauma and judgement.

is it actual deterioration or discoloration? My ds2 had some serious damage to his four front teeth when he was 2. It started at the gum line and unfortunately by the time you see that the damage is much worse at the root. We had them ground down and capped, he had porcelain veneers on front which was very expensive but I felt necessary. Most people unless they really looked didn't know he had them. He didn't get teased.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
is it actual deterioration or discoloration? My ds2 had some serious damage to his four front teeth when he was 2. It started at the gum line and unfortunately by the time you see that the damage is much worse at the root. We had them ground down and capped, he had porcelain veneers on front which was very expensive but I felt necessary. Most people unless they really looked didn't know he had them. He didn't get teased.
It is deterioration.
She is my 4th child and the third with this issue.

My dd1 8 had an adult molar come in with no enamel. It was completely brown
She had the same thing with her baby teeth. One finally broke around 20 mos due to deterioration.

I was made to feel horrible. Told they would have to pull her teeth. One ped dentist tried to pappose her and she was throwing up and choking. I wanted to punch that dentist.
I was accused of not brushing, giving her bottles/supply's of juice. Putting her to bed with bottles. That night nursing/extended nursing caused it. It probably didn't help that I was a younger mom at 20 when I had her.
I was looked on and treated like dirt. All of this come back to me now.
We ended up having her put under a general to have extensive work done.

Ds1 was14 mos and I was sitting on him 2-3 times a day to brush his teeth because I thought I somehow caused dd1s problems.
He got suck for the first time throwing up. His teeth went from perfect to almost having to be pulled in the course of 2 weeks. We were doing topical fluoride at the dentist to prevent further decay while we waited for his dental surgery.

Was accused of the same things.

Ds3 is 3. I sat on him to brush his teeth as well.
He has a sweet tooth and was the first of my kids to like juice or pop. Nurses constantly including night nursing. His teeth are perfect. The hygienist said she could take a picture of them

Now dd2 I feel sick because I know what's coming. Having to not nurse my baby for several hours when she doesn't understand why. Having her go under a general with its risks. Having to leave her crying as they put her under. I feel like I'm betraying her trust letting strangers do that to her while leaving her alone. The accusations and stares. Worrying about her adult teeth. Thousands of dollars it will cost
Old 02-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

That's rough. I am sorry you guys have to go through that.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Do you have any idea what the problem may be that is causing such issues in multiple children? I have never heard of something this bad (except my cousin who had awful bottle rot but that had an explainable cause)

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Mama I would encourage you to see a different dentist. You've been fed a pack of lies like I was. I too was told it was "baby bottle mouth" from nursing to sleep and that wasn't true at all. How do I know? Well I breastfed three of them for over a year. My ds that had the problems came by them hereditarily and he has and will have more challenges than other people his whole life. You need to find someone that understands there's a history here beyond basic hygiene and will work with you. I agree, it was one of the most traumatic things I've ever put my children through and I would dread doing it again.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
Mama I would encourage you to see a different dentist. You've been fed a pack of lies like I was. I too was told it was "baby bottle mouth" from nursing to sleep and that wasn't true at all. How do I know? Well I breastfed three of them for over a year. My ds that had the problems came by them hereditarily and he has and will have more challenges than other people his whole life. You need to find someone that understands there's a history here beyond basic hygiene and will work with you. I agree, it was one of the most traumatic things I've ever put my children through and I would dread doing it again.

It's called amelogenesis imperfecta and it is a hereditary condition that can vary in severity.
I have bad teeth as well and have always been made to feel badly by dentists.

Even though it is a documented condition 90% of the dentists and hygienists I have come across deny "soft enamel" exists.

It wasn't until I talked to my grandmother on my bio dads side that I discovered an aunt and uncle had all of their teeth come in with no enamel at all. They had to have their whole mouths capped.
When I could finally put a name to it it helped.

There is only one ped dentist who is halfway decent that does dentistry under a general.
The only other one who does is the one I wanted to slug. My dd was throwing up and choking on it. She was still working away and gave me hell when I told her enough and to stop. Like I was being soft!
My dd was traumatized by that and would not even allow blankets over her for over a year after.

It is just a horrible thing to put your child through.
I had to fight to nurse until 4 hours before they wanted npo after 12 for a surgery at 11 the next day. They won't allow you to stay until they are asleep either.

I remember having surgery at a young age and being forcefully held down by nurses. It still causes me anxiety to think about it. I have woken up during surgery also and not been able to move or talk when I was 8. I felt no pain but I was conscious through most of the hernia surgery.

I actually had a sobbing break down about having a general for my last cerclage placement so bad they gave me a spinal instead. So to me this is one of the worst things I could leave my child to. I want to puke.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Did you see the thread on this board about butter/cod liver oil?

eta: http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show....php?t=1393578

I'm interested in this... I read a few threads where people were apparently successful. I'm not sure I'm convinced it actually would "cure" tooth decay that's gone too far, but the remineralization stuff makes sense, I think...

Last edited by mel j; 02-04-2013 at 03:40 PM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy24babes View Post
It's called amelogenesis imperfecta and it is a hereditary condition that can vary in severity.
I have bad teeth as well and have always been made to feel badly by dentists.

Even though it is a documented condition 90% of the dentists and hygienists I have come across deny "soft enamel" exists.

It wasn't until I talked to my grandmother on my bio dads side that I discovered an aunt and uncle had all of their teeth come in with no enamel at all. They had to have their whole mouths capped.
When I could finally put a name to it it helped.

There is only one ped dentist who is halfway decent that does dentistry under a general.
The only other one who does is the one I wanted to slug. My dd was throwing up and choking on it. She was still working away and gave me hell when I told her enough and to stop. Like I was being soft!
My dd was traumatized by that and would not even allow blankets over her for over a year after.

It is just a horrible thing to put your child through.
I had to fight to nurse until 4 hours before they wanted npo after 12 for a surgery at 11 the next day. They won't allow you to stay until they are asleep either.

I remember having surgery at a young age and being forcefully held down by nurses. It still causes me anxiety to think about it. I have woken up during surgery also and not been able to move or talk when I was 8. I felt no pain but I was conscious through most of the hernia surgery.

I actually had a sobbing break down about having a general for my last cerclage placement so bad they gave me a spinal instead. So to me this is one of the worst things I could leave my child to. I want to puke.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am so scared DS has the same problem. His top teeth (oddly not the bottom two) are looking really brown and like they are starting to decay. Until recently I didn't brush them as well as I should have. I just want to cry every time I look at them. I don't want my baby to have rotten teeth!
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote