Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
MrsJordan85
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Homemade cleaner recipes: GO!

Just want to hear what works for you guys. I have a few vinegar based cleaners that I use.
What do you all use for:
Bathroom/toilets?
Kitchen?
Floors?

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homemade cleaner recipes: GO!

I was using homemade cleaners for my floor but I started noticing a crazy buildup. Not sure why! Same with my counters and stuff. I was using a mixture of vinegar, water, EO, and a small dash of blue dawn.

Instead I switched to using LOC from Amway. The bottle cost me $7 and you seriously use next to nothing. I think the cost just about equals out.

I do use homemade febreze (1/8 c fabric softener, 2 T baking soda, water) and LOVE it. I also use a mixture of Dawn and Vinegar to clean my shower and my stainless sink.

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

water/vinegar for kitchen and floors- with a once weekly Bona floor cleaner just because I miss the shine that you don't get with vinegar and water. I am soaking some orange peels in vinegar right now to use in my vinegar/water mix. Its suppose to be a good addition but I am worried it might be sticky if I use it on the floor, well see.

I have tried baking soda and other homemade cleaners in the bathroom and I am not satisfied with them- we have a lot of rust in our water and they just don't cut it. I use barkeepers friend in the bathroom.

I use baking soda with EO as carpet sprinkles. And water with EO as fabreze.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
MrsJordan85
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly dolly View Post
I was using homemade cleaners for my floor but I started noticing a crazy buildup. Not sure why! Same with my counters and stuff. I was using a mixture of vinegar, water, EO, and a small dash of blue dawn.

Instead I switched to using LOC from Amway. The bottle cost me $7 and you seriously use next to nothing. I think the cost just about equals out.

I do use homemade febreze (1/8 c fabric softener, 2 T baking soda, water) and LOVE it. I also use a mixture of Dawn and Vinegar to clean my shower and my stainless sink.
^great idea on the febreeze!!! My bottle is almost out, I will have to try this!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
MrsJordan85
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
water/vinegar for kitchen and floors- with a once weekly Bona floor cleaner just because I miss the shine that you don't get with vinegar and water. I am soaking some orange peels in vinegar right now to use in my vinegar/water mix. Its suppose to be a good addition but I am worried it might be sticky if I use it on the floor, well see.

I have tried baking soda and other homemade cleaners in the bathroom and I am not satisfied with them- we have a lot of rust in our water and they just don't cut it. I use barkeepers friend in the bathroom.

I use baking soda with EO as carpet sprinkles. And water with EO as fabreze.
Interested to hear about how this works.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJordan85 View Post
Interested to hear about how this works.
Me too. Also looking for a homemade Pledge-type recipe.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJordan85 View Post
Just want to hear what works for you guys. I have a few vinegar based cleaners that I use.
What do you all use for:
Bathroom/toilets?
Kitchen?
Floors?

Bathroom: 50% vinegar, 50% water

Tub: 2T blue dawn, hot vinegar

Toilet: Grated a bar of ivory soap, boiled it. Now I pour a little in the toilet and brush. I do this 2 or 3 times a week, no critters have ever appeared in my toilet.

Kitchen: 50% vinegar, 50% water

Floors: Used to use vinegar and water but it just wasn't cutting it long term. I've since bought a steam mop so now, just water.

Mirrors/windows: Rubbing alcohol, water, and corn starch.

Mattress/couch freshener: 1c baking soda, 2-3 drops essential oil. Sprinkle on, vacuum off.

Face wash: 4T raw pure local honey, 1T baking soda

Laundry detergent: 1:1:1 grated Fels Naptha, washing soda (not baking), and borax.

Fabric softener: Vinegar.

Last edited by EmmaGM; 02-04-2013 at 11:06 AM.
EmmaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
MrsJordan85
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
Bathroom: 50% vinegar, 50% water

Tub: 2T blue dawn, hot vinegar

Toilet: Grated a bar of ivory soap, boiled it. Now I pour a little in the toilet and brush. I do this 2 or 3 times a week, no critters have ever appeared in my toilet.

Kitchen: 50% vinegar, 50% water

Floors: Used to use vinegar and water but it just wasn't cutting it long term. I've since bought a steam mop so now, just water.

Mirrors/windows: Rubbing alcohol, water, and corn starch.

Mattress/couch freshener: 1c baking soda, 2-3 drops essential oil. Sprinkle on, vacuum off.

Face wash: 4T raw pure local honey, 1T baking soda

Laundry detergent: 1:1:1 grated Fels Naptha, washing soda (not baking), and borax.

Fabric softener: Vinegar.
Glad that no critters are in your toilet!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
batsilvermoon
Registered Users
Formerly:batmomof3
seller

orange peels in jar fill with vinegar let sit for a week and then take out peels add a lil water and whoo homemade orange cleaner I use it for kitchen .... you can also do lemon peels for bathroom or kitchen
batsilvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
batsilvermoon
Registered Users
Formerly:batmomof3
seller

another is buying thieves its a lil pricy at first but well worth it .. just a few drops like (3) to water bottle and it works great for bathroom and great on floors it has many other uses as well so you really get your money out of it!
batsilvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote