Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #11
rchamberlain
Registered Users
seller

Re: Homemade cleaner recipes: GO!

I also use LOC from Amway and dilute it in a spray bottle and use for EVERYTHING. Still use scrubbing bubbles/tilex for the bathroom, though. And just wet microfiber cloths for dusting and anything shiny.

Advertisement

rchamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

I am very minimalist, frugal and green when it comes to this stuff, mostly because of the minimalist factor. I hate clutter and used to be totally obsessed with trying the newest products and changing it up all the time. I finally gave up on that and decided to start saving money and using so many products. I am a clean freak and have no problems making all this stuff work for us.

This is all we use for the entire household:

Laundry: Country Save powder, add Country Save oxygen bleach for yucky stuff (like diapers). Vinegar as softener. Clothes are soft and stain free. I don't miss fabric softener at ALL.

Bathroom/Kitchen: paste made from Dr. Bronner's peppermint castille soap liquid+ baking soda for scrubbing sinks, stovetop, toilets and tubs. Vinegar for general cleaning and disinfecting. I use Dr. Bronners to scrub down our stone countertops but they are soapstone and have a natural matte finish not glossy like granite so it works great. You can use regular dishsoap like Dawn instead of Dr. B's if you prefer. Really plain old dishsoap or castille soap cleans almost anything and vinegar is awesome and making things shine and getting rid of germs.

Dusting, wiping down cabinets or bathroom wall tile, windows, mirrors: microfiber cloths dampened with plain water if necessary.

Floors, trash cans, etc. : vinegar and hot water.

To remove odors from the carpet on our stairs: baking soda mixed with a few drops of lavender oil, then vacuum. If I'm feeling like I need a scent in the house I either wipe down something with Dr. Bronner's peppermint (a nice pick me up) or sprinkle some lavender oil for something soothing.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:

Mines really simple atm, I like having less products around.

Vinegar and water for mirrors/glass.

Hot vinegar with 1/2 dawn for showers/tubs etc.

Bicarb and vinegar for sinks.

Bicarb for carpet (we only have one room).

Vinegar or eucalyptus oil for floors (cant use euc oil if pg).

I have still been using bleach gel in toilets but planning to change that to vinegar/bicarb.

Laundry powder - washing soda, bicarb, essential oil, lux soap flakes.

I still use oxyaction for tile grout and soaking diapers/clothes. Can't find a better alternative for this.

Lemons cooked in a bowl of water for microwave.

Haven't found anything for the oven yet?
Old 02-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #14
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I just did a long post of all mine.. I'll look for it
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #15
MrsJordan85
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

These are great, thanks so much!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #16
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just used the orange vinegar on my laminate wood floor. The instructions I read said let the orange peels soak for 4 weeks then use. I was going to half it with water but instead I had 1/4 of my spray bottle with 50/50 vinegar water mix already in it. I just added the orange vinegar to it and topped it off with water. The mix probably ended up being only 25% water. Anyway, did really clean any better than plain vinegar and water- at least not that I can tell on my floor. But it doesn't smell like vinegar, doesn't really smell like orange either. But the smell is pleasant. The big plus- my floors have just a touch of shine. Not as much as they do with a commercial cleaner but more than the vinegar water mix. I have touched to see if its sticky or filmy and it doesn't seem so. i will try it on my counter tonight and see how it goes.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #17
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Four weeks?!
Old 02-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
Four weeks?!
Yeah, I know. And your suppose to shake every couple of days. I found one that said 2 weeks, but everyone else said 4. I think 3 would probably be good. I did notice a shift in the smell from vinegar to more orange. I use vinegar and water as my primary cleaner so I will need to start a new batch every time I fill my spray bottle. It doesn't take a lot of work and it looks pretty sitting on the counter- I have a pretty glass jar with a lid- so it looks like nice and pretty. And you can freeze the peels in between so really not that big of a deal, but geez 4 weeks.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #19
minneapolisite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use apple cider vinegar on my wood surfaces (wood dining table and spot-cleaning wood floors where the toddler drops food)
At-home mom of DAK (Oct 2011) and #2 (Oct 2014)
minneapolisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #20
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Update on the orange vinegar. I will not be making it again. Even after adding more water it leaves a sort of film on the floor. Looks good until you walk on it then it looks greasy (I guess would be the best description). Looks like something was spilled on it. Its not foot prints in the way that wood and laminate floors get foot prints. it looks dirty. So back to plain vinegar and water daily and bona weekly. I had such high hopes. Next time I am using my orange peels to make EO for carpet sprinkles and fabreeze.