Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Tresor27
Registered Users
seller

Organic formula without GMOs (genetically modified organisms)? Help!

Hi Mamas,

Unfortunately, BF'ing didn't work for DD #2 either, much to my dismay. And as I've been looking more deeply at what goes into the formulas out there, i get even more upset. Have done a lot of research, but I'd like to reach out to the wider audience here to see if i could learn from anyone elses research as well. My issue? Well there appears to be something bad in almost every formula, even the organic ones...and i can't find a single one certified to be without GMO. What i've gleaned so far:

I've narrowed it down to Baby's Only or Earth's Best, or possibly Holle from Germany and even inquired into one from Switzerland that Amazon reviewers recommended. Baby's Only scares me in that it's primary ingredient, brown rice syrup had been linked to arsenic. Earth's best - i'm not sure if the glucose syrup listed is as bad as the corn syrup for source of carbs...and it seems to have ingredients that may be GMO derived. And even Holle too. Then there's the concern about the added DHA/ARA which in most formulas is from a company called Martek and whose process uses hexane...inconclusive to me whether or not trace amts of hexane remain in the formula (i've read both pro and con arguments) - not a concern for Baby's only though. And for all of these, what about the BPA in packaging leaching into the formula? The EWG did an excellent executive summary about this and conclude powder is at least safer than the liquid formulas in regards to BPA leaching. Aaaagh!

Let's see, what's the least of the evils? Arsenic? Hexane? Bpa? GMOs? Not sure which i should worry about the most, though lately i've been coming down hard on GMO, based on what i'm learning and how they're sneaking it into our food supply Everywhere! (just do a search, or download NonGMOshoppingguide.com from the Institute for Responsible Technology if you're curious)...

Help! Anyone have any suggestions? I do have concerns about making my own formula, so would not be interested in pursuing that avenue, thanks.

Advertisement

Tresor27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
Tresor27
Registered Users
seller

Re: Organic formula without GMOs (genetically modified organisms)? Help!

Update, i just read further in the forum and one poster included a link to the Babies Only website (Nature's One is the company) where they indicate "Brown Rice Syrup in Baby’s Only Organic® Formulas Tests Undetectable for Arsenic."

http://www.naturesone.com/brown-rice/

I hope this is true.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Martek does not use Hexane

http://www.devanutrition.com/easyfaq...HA-Oil/63.html

I would not rely on Baby's Only's statement, to my knowledge they did not do independent testing.

what are your concerns with making formula?
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Tresor27
Registered Users
seller

Hi Mama, thanks for replying. As for Baby's Only and the arsenic, my initial reaction was the same, i'm skeptical...but i clicked on 'Read More', and the pdf that opens up, in it they state "tested by independant labs..." So, unless they're bold-faced lying (always possible) i'll have to accept that for now.

I read yr link, i take it Deva is not Martek but they sell stuff that has Martek's DHA. I was happy to read the part about it not being GMO. But I'm not satisfied w/them just stating that the dha in their products is free from hexane - where did they get that statement from? In any case, you got me researching some more, specifically i googled Martek DHA and hexane and again, i'm just overwhelmed. Depending on who you read and the date of the article, it seems kind of iffy to me, like they were using a loophole to get around what they called the DHA so it wouldn't be subjected to the stringent requirements for organic (ie, No Hexane!). As an example, here's some good reading on the whole topic from Dr. Mercola. I know a lot of people have called him a quack but, it is pretty convincing:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...t-formula.aspx
In it he also dispels that Martek DHA is free of GMOs. So again, it comes down to who do you believe?

As to your last question, actually i had responded to 1 of yr posts on a different thread where you were sharing how to make your own formula using a Weston Price formula. This link might help you understand my concern, (again, if it's accurate) just scared me off the whole idea of making my own (that, and to be honest, i don't believe i'd have the time and willpower to do so [such a bad mommy ). http://www.vegsource.com/news/2010/0...oundation.html

I'd love to know what you think!
Old 02-05-2013, 04:23 AM   #5
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Not sure about Mercola to be honest. I dont know much about the Cornucopi a Institute but i did notice that Mercola references them a lot and they use Mercola a lot, which is questionable. However, i dont find Martek trustworthy.

i replied to your post in the other thread. I wrote a really long reply, but in a nutshell, it is very misleading and inaccurate. While i disagree with WAPF about a lot of things, this article put Fuhrman very low on my list of trustworthy people. The WAPF formulas based on cows milk and goats milk do fall within the FDA's nutritional requirements for infant formula. Im not a fan of the liver recipe. My other reply was really long though, so i guess read that and ask any questions. Ill do my best to answer
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
mophie40
Registered Users
seller

When I was looking into various formulas I felt the same way. I was constantly getting mixed info and it just gave me a headache. I use parents choice organic and LO is doing great on it. He did horribly on enfamil. With every formula, you could find something you don't like about it.
mophie40 is offline   Reply With Quote