Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DD confusing poop vs pee (sorry, not graphic)

Sorry, lots of bodily fluids here, but it's really a terminology issue. I posted here instead of PT bc it's really not PT... we are still in diapers... but it's becoming weird.

DD clearly mixes up poop and pee, like somehow her concept of them is backwards.

"I'm wet!" always means "I pooped" and "I poop!" always means "I peed". 100% of the time, and it's consistent at daycare, with me, with DH, etc. She's pretty convinced she's got it right!
She can clearly distinguish the two, since she's consistent with "her" terms - but how do we help her with this? We correct her when we discover the mistake, and I show her the XYZ in her diaper/in the toilet after I go, and give her the correct name. But it doesn't seem to be helping Is this a normal toddler thing (she's 2)? I don't THINK it's a defiance-type thing, but who knows, lol. Otherwise her language skills are right on track and she gets other opposites correct (up/down, open/close, etc).

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: DD confusing poop vs pee (sorry, not graphic)

I would still gently correct her when you know she has it backward. Keep reinforcing it, she'll switch eventually. Come up with a positive statement that encourages that she know she made waste and you are happy she told you, then say "look you made pee pee" Maybe not directly tell her she is wrong just use the correct term.

We didn't have this situation per say but when my son uses wrong terms we just repeat what he says using the correct terms. He catches on.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I agree with PP. Keep gently correcting and reinforcing. She's still young
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

i agree, just correct her and eventually she will catch on.
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

I am sure she will get it if you just give her time. My newly potty trained 3yo usually yells "I'm peeing!!!" or "I'm pooping!!!" if he needs to go. The first few times I went dashing to go help him only to realize he was just announcing he was going to go to the potty and there was no accident. Silly kids
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote