Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #31
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Vacation rental discrimination!

A quick google search turned this up.
http://community.homeaway.com/docs/DOC-1681
http://community.homeaway.com/docs/DOC-1354
This one is the same sight but a bit more information.

apparently weather or not it is illegal depends on the state not the federal government. These articles are old though. They were last updated in 2011. So I am sure some things have changed.

Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #32
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'll be the odd one out. I personally have 3 (4th on the way) children. I own a vacation house in Sandestin, FL. We lend this house to our family members, and rent it privately and selectively to close friends and business partners. You would be amazed the damages and destruction and the related costs I bear to allow others to use our house; and these are people we know and love. You bet I'm selective and choosy and that's my choice and my prerogative. I've replaced broken dishes, missing beach bags, brand new beach towels with holes, strollers with bent axels (presumably from teenagers joy riding on them), lost knives, stained duvet covers, torn sheets, etc... Curtain rods ripped from the wall, replaced more gallons of shampoo, shower gel and laundry detergent than I care to count, replaced a pack and play with ripped screening, bike tires and chains from mistreatment and being left in the salt air, etc... Every time I use my house I have a minimum of $100-$200 in repairs and countless hours replenishing and repairing and repainting. Beyond any question, more people = more damage IME. more children = more damage = more of my time and money. Two of my very best friends use my house, with 19 children between them. I love them so I let them, but it is HARD on my budget and my house, and they are awesomely well behaved children. Personally, I have absolutely no desire to let anyone with 5 children who isn't near and dear to my heart rent my house. I know that stinks when you're the renter to be, but honestly, I cannot blame anyone for not wanting to rent to large families, including my own. I've been on the other side of things for 15 years now. It's not fun. Its expensive and time-consuming and quickly undoes any money made in the renting out in the first place. Renting out our house is a business, I protect my investment and weigh risks with any renter. When it isn't profitable or "worth" the hassle any longer, it just won't be rented out and it will be personal use only like most other property owners I know.
I'm sorry OP, its offensive and unfair. I have no doubt your family is lovely and would be wonderful guests. GL finding a place to rent!
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #33
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMQEMCABOOSE View Post
I'll be the odd one out. I personally have 3 (4th on the way) children. I own a vacation house in Sandestin, FL. We lend this house to our family members, and rent it privately and selectively to close friends and business partners. You would be amazed the damages and destruction and the related costs I bear to allow others to use our house; and these are people we know and love. You bet I'm selective and choosy and that's my choice and my prerogative. I've replaced broken dishes, missing beach bags, brand new beach towels with holes, strollers with bent axels (presumably from teenagers joy riding on them), lost knives, stained duvet covers, torn sheets, etc... Curtain rods ripped from the wall, replaced more gallons of shampoo, shower gel and laundry detergent than I care to count, replaced a pack and play with ripped screening, bike tires and chains from mistreatment and being left in the salt air, etc... Every time I use my house I have a minimum of $100-$200 in repairs and countless hours replenishing and repairing and repainting. Beyond any question, more people = more damage IME. more children = more damage = more of my time and money. Two of my very best friends use my house, with 19 children between them. I love them so I let them, but it is HARD on my budget and my house, and they are awesomely well behaved children. Personally, I have absolutely no desire to let anyone with 5 children who isn't near and dear to my heart rent my house. I know that stinks when you're the renter to be, but honestly, I cannot blame anyone for not wanting to rent to large families, including my own. I've been on the other side of things for 15 years now. It's not fun. Its expensive and time-consuming and quickly undoes any money made in the renting out in the first place. Renting out our house is a business, I protect my investment and weigh risks with any renter. When it isn't profitable or "worth" the hassle any longer, it just won't be rented out and it will be personal use only like most other property owners I know.
I'm sorry OP, its offensive and unfair. I have no doubt your family is lovely and would be wonderful guests. GL finding a place to rent!
When I'm paying $1800/week with a $400 damage deposit down and $140 cleaning fee there is no excuse for being discriminated against. The listing agent could have stated in the listing that the unit was not child friendly but that isn't the case.
Do you charge that kind of money and have a manager for your property that lists it on public sites? I think it's a totally different situation.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #34
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I'm so sorry he lied to you, and you can't rent it That really sucks.

As someone with a lot of family members who own property and rent it, and having formerly rented our home out, I have to say that it should be within someone rights to be choosy about who they rent to. It should not be illegal to choose not to rent your property to someone for any reason.

I DO think there are much better ways to handle than simply saying "no large groups of young children." He could have asked for references, larger deposit amount, etc. But he should NOT have lied to you. That's bad bussiness and I would let him know you caught him in his lie, as well as writting reviews, and anything else you can do to let ppl know he's dishonest in the way he does bussiness.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #35
mississippimommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia.aline View Post
Wouldn't this be different since its a vacation spot not an actual place she plans on living? I think the fair housing act is to make sure people have a place to live.
I would contact a lawyer to clarify, but technically she'll be LIVING there while she's renting the place, right?
mississippimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #36
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimommy
I would contact a lawyer to clarify, but technically she'll be LIVING there while she's renting the place, right?
I'm fairly sure you know exactly what I meant.

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #37
mississippimommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I'm fairly sure you know exactly what I meant.
No need to get snippy. I was just stating what I personally would do...
Old 02-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #38
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimommy
No need to get snippy. I was just stating what I personally would do...
Not snippy, you quoted me so I responded.

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #39
mississippimommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Not snippy, you quoted me so I responded.
Perhaps I mistook your tone. That can happen when only reading what someone says. Came across very condescending.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #40
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I cringed a little when a family with 6 small children (all boys) applied to rent our house. The times didn't mesh so it wasn't an issue but I certainly had my reservations. I have three boys and I know how hard they are on carpet/paint/doors etc. I know it's all unintentional damage and hard to avoid but I was just imaging my 3 boys doubled!

Btw I would have rented it to them if it would have worked out.