Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #11
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: new car seat guideline in 2014?

I just saw this posted on facebook today. I've got to find out the weight of our Radian XTSLs. My twins are 30lbs and 25lbs so could possibly be near the max

ETA: Amazon lists the shipping weight as 30lbs....

Advertisement

Last edited by Brooke789; 02-04-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #12
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

I think radian xtsl are 26lbs, going from my memory of course, but that's what we have with a 29lb toddler. So less than 10lbs left to go.

Last edited by champatlife; 02-04-2013 at 07:26 PM.
champatlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #13
maddys_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have a question about this...

We have a 2010 VW Routan (so same as a grand caravan and town & country.) The 3rd row's top tether is not centered on one particular seat (neither is the latch system.) Since our 5 year old is almost too heavy for latch, according to the new guidelines, that means we can't have her seat in the third row anymore, correct? Or can we still install it outboard on the driver's side (with a seatbelt) and still use the top tether (even though it's not centered on that seat?)

I apologize, I'm probably describing this horribly. But hopefully a CPST reads this who is familiar with the 3rd row I'm trying to describe!
Old 02-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #14
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddys_mama View Post

We have a 2010 VW Routan (so same as a grand caravan and town & country.) The 3rd row's top tether is not centered on one particular seat (neither is the latch system.) Since our 5 year old is almost too heavy for latch, according to the new guidelines, that means we can't have her seat in the third row anymore, correct? Or can we still install it outboard on the driver's side (with a seatbelt) and still use the top tether (even though it's not centered on that seat?)

I apologize, I'm probably describing this horribly. But hopefully a CPST reads this who is familiar with the 3rd row I'm trying to describe!
I'm not a CPST but if I am reading correctly no you can't. I would put her in a seat where you can use the seatbelt and a top tether that is centered on that seat. Is there no seatbelt where the seat is installed now? I am a little confused still.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #15
maddys_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
I'm not a CPST but if I am reading correctly no you can't. I would put her in a seat where you can use the seatbelt and a top tether that is centered on that seat. Is there no seatbelt where the seat is installed now? I am a little confused still.
There's a seat belt where she is now so that's not an issue. However, we had planned on moving her to the third row permanently when our newbie gets here in June. She occasionally rides back there now if we have a friend riding with us. This puts a huge kink in our plans and means we'll have to put one of our rear facing kids in the third row and put them in through the back door.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #16
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddys_mama View Post

Look in your vehicle's manual. I am pretty sure you can use the top tether with a seatbelt in the center, even though it won't be exactly centered behind the seat. Now, you can't put a seat outboard, and use the top tether meant for the center seat, but this is not that situation.

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #17
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's only for cars starting at the year 2014 though? So us with 2006's can not fret over weighing kids and car seats?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #18
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Nope, some car manufacturers are making the change retroactive. Check the link I posted earlier in the thread.

ETA: reposting the link
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #19
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

K here's a fun question. Does anyone know if these changes are US only, or are going to be made for Canadians too?
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #20
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
K here's a fun question. Does anyone know if these changes are US only, or are going to be made for Canadians too?
I would think it would be the same no? aren't the vehicles all the same? I'm going to seatbelt install now regardless as we are super close to the 65lb limit and it frankly makes sense to take into account the weight of the seat and the child, as they both would but stress on the lower anchor in a crash.