Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #21
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ah we have a scion, we are good for now

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Last edited by hilaryisinked; 02-06-2013 at 06:01 PM.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #22
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Wow. So my my 5yo cannot use our seats (Radian xtsl and Frontier85) with a LATCH install anymore because he is 44 pounds and we drive a Chevy?

That really sucks.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #23
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: new car seat guideline in 2014?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwick View Post
I would think it would be the same no? aren't the vehicles all the same? I'm going to seatbelt install now regardless as we are super close to the 65lb limit and it frankly makes sense to take into account the weight of the seat and the child, as they both would but stress on the lower anchor in a crash.
They are the same. However there are a great many guidelines that one country follows but not the other. It depends on what agency is making this policy - if it's the manufacturers saying 65 and no more, or if it's a US government agency. The former would apply to Canadians, the latter not so much.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:53 AM   #24
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
They are the same. However there are a great many guidelines that one country follows but not the other. It depends on what agency is making this policy - if it's the manufacturers saying 65 and no more, or if it's a US government agency. The former would apply to Canadians, the latter not so much.
That's true, but I would err on the side of caution myself and follow it anyways! In my province there aren't even any laws pertaining to carseats/boosters after 40lbs, so I am always following someone elses guidelines.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #25
proudsahmof4
Registered Users
Formerly: proudsahmof3
seller

My Mood:
These are new "rules", but not new recommendations, right? I mean, I've known about the child + seat anchor limit for almost five years now, informed by a CPST friend back when I was pregnant with DD1, so we've always switched to seat belt once we hit the limit. It's just garnering attention because now there's going to be an "official" guideline?

Last edited by proudsahmof4; 02-07-2013 at 06:50 AM.
proudsahmof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #26
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudsahmof4 View Post
These are new "rules", but not new recommendations, right? I mean, I've known about the child + seat anchor limit for almost five years now, informed by a CPST friend back when I was pregnant with DD1, so we've always switched to seat belt once we hit the limit. It's just garnering attention because now there's going to be an "official" guideline?
There are new federal regulations going into effect. And as a result, many car manufacturers are revisiting their own policies on LATCH, and making retroactive changes.

ETA: But it is not a completely new thing that the LATCH system has weight limits, if that's what you're asking.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #27
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

LATCH has always had weight limits. They are just changing now and it means many of the weight limits will be lower than they were prior to this year.

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:19 AM   #28
proudsahmof4
Registered Users
Formerly: proudsahmof3
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
There are new federal regulations going into effect. And as a result, many car manufacturers are revisiting their own policies on LATCH, and making retroactive changes.

ETA: But it is not a completely new thing that the LATCH system has weight limits, if that's what you're asking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess71903 View Post
LATCH has always had weight limits. They are just changing now and it means many of the weight limits will be lower than they were prior to this year.

Gotcha. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #29
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:

This is so very frustrating to me. My 4.5 yr old DD is very impish (this is a VERY nice way to describe her)... If I just use the seat belt, she will reach down and randomly unbuckle it (she has done it before and I didn't know for??? long)... so this new law is saying that she is safer that way than with a LATCH that she can not get to... sigh... Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep her seat safely buckled? Is there some sort of lock I can put on it? She doesn't really care about reasoning or safety... if she wants to do something, it doesn't really matter what we say to her... her mind is already made up. And this is in ALL areas of life... she makes it VERY interesting around here some days!

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #30
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christylkeller View Post
This is so very frustrating to me. My 4.5 yr old DD is very impish (this is a VERY nice way to describe her)... If I just use the seat belt, she will reach down and randomly unbuckle it (she has done it before and I didn't know for??? long)... so this new law is saying that she is safer that way than with a LATCH that she can not get to... sigh... Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep her seat safely buckled? Is there some sort of lock I can put on it? She doesn't really care about reasoning or safety... if she wants to do something, it doesn't really matter what we say to her... her mind is already made up. And this is in ALL areas of life... she makes it VERY interesting around here some days!
Personally I would do what my mom did, if any of us unbuckled while in motion she pulled over and refused to drive until we were buckled...but I'm not sure how your DD can reach the buckle? That said, our carseats (Nautilus) are quite high up so neither of my kids could make that reach thankfully! Though I suppose if there is a will, there is a way right? DD2 is 4.5 as well, and I let her ride in a booster 2 blocks to see if she could handle it, but she is nowhere near ready (she tried to slip out of the belt).