Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
workingdiaperingmom
Registered Users

Prefolds and daycare?

I am switching from AIO and pockets to trifolded prefolds and covers at home. I'm wondering if I can do the switch at daycare as well. Right now we are sending pre-stuffed pockets, and I'm getting repelling issues and therefore leaking, which the daycare folks (and myself) do not appreciate. Not that this would be economical, but I would buy a lot of covers, and have the prefolds pre-trifolded into each cover, so all they would have to do is grab the pre-stuffed cover, and put it on baby. The dirty diaper, prefold and cover, would just go in the wet bag that I would provide them. Daycare isn't allowed to "reuse" diapers in any way, so the cover and prefold would all have to swapped at each diaper change. Is it feasible?

Advertisement

workingdiaperingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Prefolds and daycare?

My sons daycare did this exact method for us and had no issues. I would def recommend having enough covers to do this comfortably though. I didn't have enough covers for them to not be resusing them and had an insane amount of extra washing. It was not fun. I wish I just spend some extra money and got more covers. I mainly didn't because we were 6 months away for PL. :-/ I bought 2 extras (to make it even possible) but I really needed another 3 or 4.

Maybe tri-fold on top of the pockets (letting them know of the change) and see how they do. If it goes well then you are good.

DS daycare had no issues. There was one other child that was cloth diapered before my son got there and they sent in a variety of diapers (so I am told) not sure if that made them more opened minded.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-04-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
workingdiaperingmom
Registered Users

So if I do this, would it be best to get covers with flaps for trifolding? Like Swaddlebees capris or flips? Will the flaps be enough to hold it in place so that when daycare takes it out of the diaper bag it doesn't all just come apart?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
cyanotype
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
One family at our daycare uses prefolds and covers. Some days they are trifolded some days snappi'd

Most likely nursing and typing. Please pardon any mistakes.
cyanotype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
elmojr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Best bottom diapers would work best for daycare in my opinion. Then they can be ready to go. I'd be afraid that if the insert fell out or something like that the daycare wouldn't re-stuff it and just consider it dirty. I know ours would.
elmojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
workingdiaperingmom
Registered Users

I thought about best bottoms since the inserts actually snap in. And I am pretty sure that no matter how carefully I sandwich the prefold with it's cover, something will come loose and daycare won't know what to do and just end up using a disposable on him. I think I might just have to stick with the pockets for now. I might decide later on to go for best bottoms, but we will see!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What have you done to fix your repelling issues? Maybe we can just solve that?..

<edit> see your other thread LOL
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
workingdiaperingmom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
What have you done to fix your repelling issues? Maybe we can just solve that?..

<edit> see your other thread LOL
I ended up stripping and super stuffing the diaper so that there was more pressure for the moisture to go through. The diaper didn't leak, but it is a little bit bulkier now that it is super stuffed. I suppose now I don't have to worry about repelling or leaking given now many inserts are in there now.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingdiaperingmom View Post
I am switching from AIO and pockets to trifolded prefolds and covers at home. I'm wondering if I can do the switch at daycare as well. Right now we are sending pre-stuffed pockets, and I'm getting repelling issues and therefore leaking, which the daycare folks (and myself) do not appreciate. Not that this would be economical, but I would buy a lot of covers, and have the prefolds pre-trifolded into each cover, so all they would have to do is grab the pre-stuffed cover, and put it on baby. The dirty diaper, prefold and cover, would just go in the wet bag that I would provide them. Daycare isn't allowed to "reuse" diapers in any way, so the cover and prefold would all have to swapped at each diaper change. Is it feasible?
I saw your title and all I can say is this is my dream...
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #10
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

Of course its a new thing ( yesterday first day) I pad folded flats into flip covers folded it over then attached the Velcro in the front so it would flop around prior to them putting it on. Zero issues. Since you are trifolding a quick " hey if it comes undone just do this" IMO would be simple enough. Hah if our flats come out and unfolded my daughters preschool might be a little more confused.