Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #31
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Interesting information regarding LATCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
Oh ok!! thank you so much for posting that, that is exactly what I was looking for Like I said before... it looks like I will be re-installing with the seatbelt since the combo of DS and the carseat is getting a little too close for comfort.

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #32
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

yeah.. thanks for the article.. makes more sense thinking of the two systems pulling on the carseat in different ways, making it to where it might buckle or otherwise harm the occupant.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #33
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange

really?

cause logically it would seem doubly protected............
but I guess not.

I was planning on doing both, but I guess I will just switch to the seatbelt.
If the seat is too tight it will not flex and move the way it is meant too.

If manufacturers tested both together and state specifically not to use them at the same time then there is a clear reason not too. They dont have to release the outcome of crash tests.

Both latch and seatbelt are safe. Not one is safer. Latch is easier for most but both are safe options when used alone.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #34
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

"too tight"

Please define too tight. Or cite a source where a seat being "too tight" states it won't work properly.

I'm not referencing using both latch and seatbelt. But I have a very big very strong DH and his installs are TIGHT.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #35
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

In case anyone is unclear, re: using a seatbelt AND LATCH, you cannot use the seatbelt and the lower anchors. But, when FFing, you should always tether the seat, regardless of how it is installed. And in Canada you have to tether.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #36
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory View Post
In case anyone is unclear, re: using a seatbelt AND LATCH, you cannot use the seatbelt and the lower anchors. But, when FFing, you should always tether the seat, regardless of how it is installed. And in Canada you have to tether.
Good point! I'm also wondering about the too tight thing, my seats are in super tight, as in can't budge them a millimeter much less an inch.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #37
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwick

Good point! I'm also wondering about the too tight thing, my seats are in super tight, as in can't budge them a millimeter much less an inch.
It was explained to me that unless you used a device to tighten the belt installation or had the weight of five men pushing done on the seat, it's probably not too tight. And again, a too tight seat wouldn't flex appropriately in a crash.
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #38
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post
It was explained to me that unless you used a device to tighten the belt installation or had the weight of five men pushing done on the seat, it's probably not too tight. And again, a too tight seat wouldn't flex appropriately in a crash.
Cool, thanks! We're good then, I'm certainly no match for the weight of 5 men
Old 02-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #39
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
I am confused.

Almost every manual for any car with latch says not to use when the child weighs more than 48 pounds anyways. So if the seat is 20 pounds and the kid is 45 you then reach the 65 pound limit.

Is this info just not well known?
I discovered this about a year ago ONLY because I was hanging around the car seat forum one day (here on ds). A weight limit of any kind is not in nor eluded to in any of "our" (parents and mine) car manuals (ford escape 2012, toyota sienna 2012 [pretty sure on those two though I already knew about the limit so I didnt specifically look for it in these two] honda crv 2006 or toyota camry 2009). Its also not in my car seats' manuals (baby trend infant seat and safety first complete air 65). I posted it on my facebook feed and probably 10-15 friends had no clue either. I was flamed by the one friend who did know saying I should read my manuals better. I went round and round with her and she finally looked through my manuals herself and submitted a complaint to the the CA65s manufacturer when she realized I was right.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:56 AM   #40
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayBunny View Post
I discovered this about a year ago ONLY because I was hanging around the car seat forum one day (here on ds). A weight limit of any kind is not in nor eluded to in any of "our" (parents and mine) car manuals (ford escape 2012, toyota sienna 2012 [pretty sure on those two though I already knew about the limit so I didnt specifically look for it in these two] honda crv 2006 or toyota camry 2009). Its also not in my car seats' manuals (baby trend infant seat and safety first complete air 65). I posted it on my facebook feed and probably 10-15 friends had no clue either. I was flamed by the one friend who did know saying I should read my manuals better. I went round and round with her and she finally looked through my manuals herself and submitted a complaint to the the CA65s manufacturer when she realized I was right.
Same here, I had no idea until I read it on DS, and my van manual had no info at all (curious now, as we are getting a new van on saturday, I will have a look at its manual)