Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #11
estrellajane
Registered Users
seller

Re: Venting - carseats and the school drop-off line

I drop my kindergartener off every morning in a seat with the 5pt harness. I think she might be the only kid in the school still in that sort of seat, though. Everyone else looks like they're not even in a booster anymore!

Advertisement

estrellajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 7 year old is one of two kids in his class in a booster, and he's one of the oldest kids in his class...nobody else rides in anything. 4.5 year old DD is in pre-k...her & one other little girl are harnessed (the other girl is in a Nautilus in her mom's car, but in an expired overhead shield in dad's car). A couple of the kids have backless boosters and a couple have highback boosters, but I never see any of those kids actually belted in, they're usually just sitting in their seat. A majority of the 3 & 4 year olds don't ride in anything at all, and usually show up standing in the front seat of the car or laying in the floorboard in the backseat. Our school refuses to say anything to parents or send home notes because its "not their business". Our school resource officer sat out front and passed out warnings & tickets the first week of school, but I think it became obvious pretty quickly to him that it wasn't making a difference and that people didn't care, and as far as he sees it, its just a waste of time
Old 02-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #13
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OP looks like she is from NJ. The fine is currently between 10 dollars and 25 dollars for not having a child secured. They are talking about increasing the fine..from what I understand the fine is actually higher for not having your dog secured in a crate or harness while the vehicle is in motion. (We have alot of people who drive with dogs on their lap here)
Old 02-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #14
MrsTorres
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have been deemed "the slowest car in the drop off lane" because DD1 is still in a harnessed seat. The teacher that helps and all the safeties have told us we're so slow because DD has to wait till I stop and then unbuckle and put her coat on before she can get out. I just say "oh well, people can wait the 60 seconds, she's safer that way". I see all these parents dropping off their kids and even the 5 and 6 year olds are in seatbelts or LBBs and literally jump out before the car is stopped.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #15
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTorres View Post
We have been deemed "the slowest car in the drop off lane" because DD1 is still in a harnessed seat. The teacher that helps and all the safeties have told us we're so slow because DD has to wait till I stop and then unbuckle and put her coat on before she can get out. I just say "oh well, people can wait the 60 seconds, she's safer that way". I see all these parents dropping off their kids and even the 5 and 6 year olds are in seatbelts or LBBs and literally jump out before the car is stopped.
I would probably have a cow if they complained about me being slow getting my child out of a proper seat.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #16
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTorres View Post
This is us, but I've deemed it myself! No one has ever said a word, but I bet everyone in the parent pick up lane knows us as "the slow car" after 4 years of going there.

I noticed the lack of car seat use starting back when DS1 was in preschool. Backless boosters, expired seats, infants FF I've only ever had one little girl yell out in excitement that DS1 was riding in the same seat as her (Britax Regent) in the preschool parking lot. DS1 continued harnessed in a Frontier until 1st grade and now uses it in booster mode in 3rd grade. DS2 is now in kinder, so were still "the slow car" with another child in a five point.
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #17
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

MrsTorres, I find it disturbing that the teachers and "safeties" are disregarding your child's own safety when they are caring for her x amount of hours a day. That's appalling.

DS is almost 6 and still sits in his Graco Nauti. He takes the bus to school and there is no drop off line at our school, though. But I've had DH's family complain about him still being in a "big car seat" and then saying how we won't have room for anyone in the backseat since we now have a Nauti and the Graco ClickConnect in our Accord. That's fine by me....we're not chauffeurs and just drive our own family around anyways.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #18
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac1976
A few weeks ago my DS (2nd grade) was going on a field trip in parent driven cars. I sent him to school with his booster. When I picked him up that afternoon he complained that only one other student (out of 25) had a booster seat. (It just happened to be the police officer's son so I wasn't surprised.) I explained that he had to use the booster until it was safe to use the plain seat belt and that I couldn't help what other people did, but it was important in case we ever got into an accident.

That afternoon, on our way home, I was on the highway (going 65 mph) when there was an accident on the access road. The cars went over the curb and barged through a group of large orange construction signs which were then thrown into the highway and came at me head on. I managed to swerve to avoid a head on collision, but the sign hit my front passenger side and slid down the entire right side of my car- which just happens to be DS' side. The kids were frightened, but everyone was okay. DS hasn't given me any problems about his booster since.
My almost 7 yo is big for her age. 4' tall and 75 lbs. she's in a backless booster and I've even taught her about twisted straps, under the handles and all of that since most people are oblivious even if I send it. She doesn't go with many people but better safe than sorry.

She used to have a fit about having to use it because most of her friends don't. Then we had an accident. Then narrowly avoided what would have been a horrible accident. Now she just thinks I don't know how to drive and hasn't complained about her seat since lol.
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #19
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm sure people think my 6 1/2 yo is allowed to ride in the front with no booster when I drop him off. The school is on the passenger side. I don't want him getting out on the driver's side bc people pass over there and I don't want him getting him. So when we pull in, he gets unbuckled and gets out the front passenger door. Until 2 months ago, he was still harnessed.
ES list IDDDSO Gira Diamonds & Stripes ringsling
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #20
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

i do see a fair number of parents here put their kids into car seats or booster, however 99% are stuck in them in full winter gear
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote