Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #21
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Venting - carseats and the school drop-off line

I used to walk at a walking track right by our elementary school (K-5) and I rarely saw a single kid in a seat. Most kids were riding in the front seat and didn't even have the seat belt on. I don't know why the police don't do something about it.

Advertisement

Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #22
debdebdebby13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My very tall almost 7 year old is in a high back booster, but I can tell you in the carpool line, that barely moves, I let her gather her stuff and hop up to the front seat and that's the part of the car she gets out from. She has certainly never actually ridden in the car up there or even in the back without her carseat. Could it possibly be a situation like that?
Old 02-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #23
MrsTorres
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
MrsTorres, I find it disturbing that the teachers and "safeties" are disregarding your child's own safety when they are caring for her x amount of hours a day. That's appalling.

DS is almost 6 and still sits in his Graco Nauti. He takes the bus to school and there is no drop off line at our school, though. But I've had DH's family complain about him still being in a "big car seat" and then saying how we won't have room for anyone in the backseat since we now have a Nauti and the Graco ClickConnect in our Accord. That's fine by me....we're not chauffeurs and just drive our own family around anyways.
The one teacher that said it Im friendly with and he did say it in a joking manner because DD does tend to take her time sometimes, but the rest of the safeties are older and I wouldn't expect them to know any better. They were probably taken out of a harness way too early themselves. I hate to break it to them though, her marathon expired and Im purchasing her Nauti tonight so she'll be harnessed for even longer now. I tested her to see if she was ready for a HBB today and caught her bending over to get something so it just reinforced my decision to get the Nauti.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #24
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

I never saw a child in anything other than a no back booster when DD was in preschool. We are talking 3 and 4 year old kids. The car attendants got a shock the first day because dd was still rear facing in her Radian .
Old 02-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #25
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

Wow, thanks for the commiserating but I'm sorry to hear this is a problem all over. KimmyAnn - CANNOT believe that the fine is that low!
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #26
Dancingham
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmyann View Post
OP looks like she is from NJ. The fine is currently between 10 dollars and 25 dollars for not having a child secured. They are talking about increasing the fine..from what I understand the fine is actually higher for not having your dog secured in a crate or harness while the vehicle is in motion. (We have alot of people who drive with dogs on their lap here)
I know this isn't really the topic of this thread, but. . . I never knew there were rules about securing dogs in vehicles. My dog has always laid down underneath the middle seat of our van when I was growing up. We didn't even own a crate. Where do you find information about that?
Dancingham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #27
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTorres
We have been deemed "the slowest car in the drop off lane" because DD1 is still in a harnessed seat. The teacher that helps and all the safeties have told us we're so slow because DD has to wait till I stop and then unbuckle and put her coat on before she can get out. I just say "oh well, people can wait the 60 seconds, she's safer that way". I see all these parents dropping off their kids and even the 5 and 6 year olds are in seatbelts or LBBs and literally jump out before the car is stopped.
This is us as well. Definitely grade 3 was harnessed in a Nauti until a few months ago when she outgrew it by weight. I also have ds1 in grade one in a radian. I have has people encouraging me to ff my just barely 1 yo even though she is very happy that way.

I'm not happy about it but my 3 yo is ff in a radian. He could still rf but we couldn't make 2 rf seats work with 4 car seats.
mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #28
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
My 10yo (4th grade) is probably the only kid in his class who sill uses a backless booster. He knows why, and he doesn't balk. Same with my 7yo (2nd grade), I see a few in backless boosters but most aren't and/or sit in the front seat. My 5yo (prek) is still harnessed and its pretty equal in his class. Many kids are in high back boosters and several are in backless or harnessed seats. From what I can see though, most harnessed kids have far outgrown their seats (ears are far above the shell) and their straps are around their arms and LOOSE. There's always the ones who jut sit on their seats with no belt/straps at all. Even though my group of friends aren't considered crunchy and follow traditional aap guidelines, they all ERF. My gf just turned her 33#/23 month old and I was happy with that. Of course, dd (18 months) is still rf.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #29
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

I took my son's classmate (just turned 7 years old, and not especially big for 7) on a short outing and had a backless booster in the car for him. He said "oh, I don't need a car seat anymore." I told him the law is 8 years, so in my car he needs to use the booster. He was okay with that, but kept chatting about how when he was really little he had a seat, but he always wiggled out of it anyway.

Last edited by momtojande; 02-07-2013 at 08:42 AM.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #30
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingham View Post
I know this isn't really the topic of this thread, but. . . I never knew there were rules about securing dogs in vehicles. My dog has always laid down underneath the middle seat of our van when I was growing up. We didn't even own a crate. Where do you find information about that?
Its a NJ law. I don't know about other states. All our news stations had coverage of this last year when it went into effect.