Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
HELP! 4 carseats in Odyssey

I have 2 radians that are forward facing and a Diono rear facing. Atm they are in all the anchored spots--odyssey only has 3 anchored spots.

#4 is coming in April and I need to reconfigure the seats. She will be in a onboard 35 air.

Was going to put the 2 rear facers in second row on the outsides where the anchors are.

The ff will be in the back row. There is an anchor in the middle seat only and then the other seat will have to be installed with the seat belt.

I never used a shoulder seatbelt to install a carseat so I need help there plus there is only one area in the back row for the extra back anchor.

How do I install that 4th seat and anchor it? Do you have another configuration? I need to get people in the back that is why I am not doing 3 across in the 2nd row. I do not thinkt the rf would fit in the 3rd row and then if they did it would be difficult to get them into the seat.

Any help and suggestions gratly appreciated!

Advertisement

dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

You can't use a tether anchor for the onboard anyway, so that's not going to be a concern until you have all 4 FFing.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: HELP! 4 carseats in Odyssey

Yes but the in the third row I mean for the rr there is only one area for the teether and that is placed in the middle behind the seat that has anchors
Old 02-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The anchors for tethering rear-facing carseats need to be in front of the child carseat, so if you tether two rear-facing seats in the second row, you will not be using the anchors on the second row seats. You will need to make an anchor point by using the D-ring straps that come with the carseats around the part of the front seats or the tray between the front seats that is welded to the van's frame. I'm probably not explaining that clearly, but there are parts of the front seats and the tray that are welded directly to the frame of the vehicle. You use these parts to attach the D-ring strap to anchor the tether.

In any case, tethering isn't strictly required for rear-facing carseats. There is a school of thought that it is better not to tether rear-facing carseats, iirc. I will have to go out to my car to check how I have them set up, but I have five carseats in my Odyssey, two forward-facing and three rear-facing. The second row driver's side has a ff carseat. The second row passenger's side has a rf seat. The third row has two rf seats on the driver's side and in the middle. The last third row seat is ff.

I don't know what year your Odyssey is, but here is a good thread on the topic.

ETA: I just realized you are talking about the LATCH anchors, not the tether locations. The above is still good info in your situation. As you wrote, however, you will need to install the fourth seat using the seat belt. Just use your manual for instructions. I have several of my seats installed with the seat belts and it works fine.

Last edited by BinahYeteirah; 02-28-2013 at 10:44 AM.
BinahYeteirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I thought about your situation a little more. If I were you, I'd probably put the newbie rf in the second row passenger side seat (if you usually unload the kids from the passenger side). I like little babies there for easy access. I'd put my oldest ff in the driver's side second row seat, so he could keep an eye on the baby and use the LATCH and anchor on that seat. I'd put the other ffin child in the middle of the third row and use the anchor and LATCH there. The other rfing child would go in one other other third row seats using the seat belt.
BinahYeteirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinahYeteirah View Post
I thought about your situation a little more. If I were you, I'd probably put the newbie rf in the second row passenger side seat (if you usually unload the kids from the passenger side). I like little babies there for easy access. I'd put my oldest ff in the driver's side second row seat, so he could keep an eye on the baby and use the LATCH and anchor on that seat. I'd put the other ffin child in the middle of the third row and use the anchor and LATCH there. The other rfing child would go in one other other third row seats using the seat belt.
You know that was kind of what I was thinking. My issue is more having a tether for the ffing kids but not sure if I should put a rr in the back. I think I will def consider this and I would only have to move 1 seat and that would be rfing a diono which is dds seat
Old 02-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do my rear seats outboard with seatbelt installs. It is super easy in an Odyssey.

Using latch in the middle with an Odyssey is a PITA because the top tether hook messes up where I put my stroller.

I would take out the plus one seat in the middle row, slide the middle row passenger side seat to the middle, and put the two RF kids there, and the two FF kids in the way back outboard. That is how we have things arranged in our 08 Odyssey.

SeatCheck.org will put you in touch with a good tech to help you.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 02-28-2013 at 12:52 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes the middle latch is a pita. So I read the manual Again for the tenth hundred time and found more tether latches for the third row I am thinking of the older 2 in the 3 rd row and the younger 2 in the 2nd row. The older two can easily get in and out when I take the infant seat out and just walk in front of the seat. I will only have to worry about those 2 fighting lol