Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #11
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Re: Un-paper towel questions

I have white birds eye unpaper towels and they look like crime scenes. Now I oinly buy normal kitchen towels.

As far as washing I just wash normal on 90 celcius with towels.

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #12
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DottieHarley View Post
If you want to get pretty... yeah, Etsy all the way. But if you just want functional, I would get a big pack of "bar mops" from Target or such. Super cheap, absorbent, and when one gets bleach stained/food stained/gross... just toss.
I would NOT GET WHITE lol. I have some beautiful unpaper that I got in a trade - with white terry. Terry = great, white = not so much. You can totally tell which ones have been used to clean up after art projects...
I would advise med/dark colors and stain-hiding patterns whenever possible. Like I said, the white terry is not so pretty these days - but the other side is flannel lizards on black and looks fab.
The other thing we use is hand towels - like from bathroom towel sets KWIM? Easy peasy.
I wash with all our other rags/etc - I don't bleach too often, but do tend to use the "sanitize" wash setting.
I agree with bar mops, or even flour sack towels. I do use white, though, and never have a problem with them staining and if they do i dont really care too much b/c i have them for function not looks.

I have a small tub that i keep either in the laundry room (near the kitchen in our old house) or on thetop stair going to the basement (laundry room at this house is in the basement). Whenever i get done with a towel or washcloth i put it in there, then when the tub is full i was them. I never wash them with anything else. I dont use bleach but i do use 1.5 scoops of Dollar Tree "oxiclean" and wash on sanitize. They may smell when they go in the wash, but they never have an odor when they come out, even when they get wet agai (kwim??).

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #13
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sorry, my Kindle is not cooperating with me. I never have issues with odors or stains and i have used this routine with two different sets of washers and dryers (top load and front load).

As far as how many...i started with a dozen each of towels and washcloths and went from there. If i felt like i needed more i got more. I like to have seaparate hand towels, dish drying towels, dish washing cloths, and counter washing cloths. Each look different so we can all tell them apart. Hand towels are just regular kitchen hand towels. Dish drying towels are flour sacks. Dish washing (we wash all by hand) are washcloths with a scrubby mesh on one side. Counter washing cloths are bar mops. I have about a dozen of each that i rotate out. This way i only have to wash them about once a week. I do wash my Libman wonder mop head with them.

We rarely use paper towels b/c we also use cloth napkins that i made with my serger. We only really use them when dealing with raw meat.
Hope this helps!!

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.

Last edited by somo_chickenlady; 02-05-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #14
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great thread! I plan on making my own un-paper towels. I was thinking using the same material as prefolds, which I'm looking to buy in yards, or just buying prefolds if I can find them discounted.

Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #15
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

We don't really use "unpaper towels" we just use towels. Flour sack towels are for bacon greese, since they wash up so well, we have junk towels for art projects, and we bought a big pack of microfiber towels from Costco that we use for general spills and cleanup. Then of corse I have nice kitchen towels for hand and dish drying. and I made some pretty napkins that sit on the table. I don't use bleach. I have a medium trash can that collects napkins/towels/bibs and every 4-5 days they get thrown in on hot wash, with a 30 minuet soak, with an extra rinse. Full scoop of tide.

Last edited by theonenonlymrssmith; 02-05-2013 at 08:33 AM.
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #16
GreyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the feedback, ladies! I think I am going to order the etsy ones to start with after all. I was only curious about the stains because I seem to be convinced that I am the only one with stains, etc. that I can't get out, and I can't figure out why!! But, it sounds like it's not just me!

I do have a ton of those clean-up towels that they sell at Costco/BJ's. We use those for deepcleaning, mainly, so would like something different so they don't get mixed up.

I will probably get a bunch of bar mop towels too. I think I'll keep them in a pile under the current paper towel holder. I am sure that we will not use them unless they are super readily available!

Hmm, now I'm thinking of getting some smaller ones made for napkins . . . in a different color. Bird's eye for that too?
GreyMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #17
GreyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I may need to start a separate thread for my other laundry issues (like why do I get bleach stains on colored clothing when I do not add bleach to the machine!?!)

But, anyway, I'm thinking I may need more than just Charlie's Soap for my dishtowels!! lol!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #18
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyMum

Hmm, now I'm thinking of getting some smaller ones made for napkins . . . in a different color. Bird's eye for that too?
I made mine out of an old table cloth!
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #19
GreyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonenonlymrssmith View Post
I made mine out of an old table cloth!
That's great! I bet you were able to make a ton out of a table cloth!! I looked on etsy and people are charging A LOT for upcycled napkins, lol.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #20
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

I made my napkins from some really soft fabric i had purchased a few years back and never used. I used a serger on the edges but it woul be easy to turn and top stitch some. I made a template so they were all the same size.