Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Good summer carrier?

DS is going to be 1 year early July. I'm looking for a supportive, cool carrier for my chunker. Suggestions? I have a black ergo I'm already sweating in...

Bugga Butts Boutique Find me on Etsy :
Mama to DD Peyton, a crazy smart 4 yo and DS Keaton (16 months) Peanut/Milk/Egg Allergies
Mheagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
Registered Users
Nuzzle me cool carrier? Bamberoo has some with solar veil panels... Mesh ring slings...wrapsody carriers etc

sry 4 abbrev, im 1 hnd-ed typng & nak frm my iPhone
Jul, This used to be a great place
bluedaisyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
I sell Great Baby Carriers!:)
Formerly: tlfoster15
Re: Good summer carrier?

I have worn all my kids in the summer. We have lived in Maine,( moderatly hot, but can be humid). Now we are in California, (dry but VERY hot.). I have used all sorts of carriers and this is what I have found to work for us. When babies are small I tend to only go out when it is cooler, or be in the shade or near fans. Most of the time I would be inside in the air conditioning or near fans. If we are at the beach I tend to get my shirt wet and baby wet and sometimes the sling wet and that way we are cooler as we dry off. I have heard of moms doing this at home as well.
The Most important thing I do is WATCH MY BABY. WATCH YOUR BABY MAMA Make sure they aren't getting overheated. A little hot baby + a hot mama+ a hot day= a possible tricky situation. If I am wearing my baby and they seem to getting hot I will just take them out and let us both air out for a bit. Just use good judgement.

A single layer of fabric over baby and I just feels a bit cooler. I like the Maya Wrap, Storchenweige or Sakura Bloom Linen for this. I have also been known to go in the lake wearing my sling. Not very deep, but just to get babies feet wet.
In the Water I like the Wrapsody Water Wrap. This wrap is similar to swimsuit material. It has a lot of stretch, but it dries very quickly too.

Other carriers I like that tend to be a bit cooler...
Angelpack- The Angelpack has an unpadded body and is lightweight but supportive.

Freehand Mei Tai- Lightweight and compact great to stick in the diaperbag and go.

Wrapsody Stretch and Breeze wraps. Both are lightweight and airy, great for summer.

I have also heard from a few moms that feel the Beco Butterfly, with it's inner panel design, is cooler in that it can allow more air flow between you and the baby. But then I have heard from other moms who feel that the extra panel makes them warmer

We have also been using our Onya Carrier, Boba and Beco Gemini on the warmer days and haven't had any heat issues.
Frogmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
Registered Users

I hear Vatanais are good for the summer.
katjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
Registered Users

I like my Ellevill Paisley Linger Bamboo/Linen Blend personally in the summer. I also have an Ellevill Silk coming - excited to try it for the summer. My son is now 22 lbs.
katjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
Registered Users

Some of the Kinderpack's have a cool knit section of the panel, which should help. You can also wrap a small ice pack in a kitchen towel or receiving blanket and slip it in between you and baby for a short period of time to help. Minimize clothing layers, too, and try to wear a really big hat - the shade over baby can help with both heat and sunburn issues.
squirrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
Registered Users

If you like woven wraps, I recommend a Vatanai. That's what I have and it was way airier than my Moby stretchy wrap. Also, no need to really break in. Just wash and wear.

Also, I hear that the Didymos Waves is an excellent summer wrap

Last edited by rebeccarose; 03-16-2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Added comment
rebeccarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
Registered Users
My Mood:

I use lightweight SSC-the Action baby carrier it is cooler and more comfy for my sweaty DD and DH compared to the bulky carriers.
sweetDD is offline   Reply With Quote