Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
gbabies2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wool Longies/Lanolin make eczema worse?

Do wool covers/longies make eczema worse? Or is it the lanolin in the wool? Or both? Just wondering if this current eczema outbreak and our recent use of wool again is a coincidence So many Mamas do so well with CJ's butter for treating eczema and it contains lanolin so who knows?!? Maybe it is the wool . . . or like I said, a coincidence?!?!

ETA: Do any of you wash your wool in conditioner to soften it?

TIA for sharing

Advertisement

Last edited by gbabies2; 02-05-2013 at 02:40 PM.
gbabies2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

It could be in your case. In ours lanolin makes eczema go away. But I understand eczema is one of those things that varies a ton from person to person. Like heartburn and headaches!

You could try a patch test of Lanisoh. If it doesn't make a problem and even helps the eczema heal, it may be another ingredient?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
Shaylee
Registered Users

Re: Wool Longies/Lanolin make eczema worse?

Our allergist said that under a microscope wool looks like barbed wire. I'm not sure if there are wool blends that might not be that harsh. What type of wool are you using?
Shaylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

Are you using a scented wool wash? It might be a reaction to scents. Both of my boys have eczema but usually on their cheeks or arms. The longies and lanolin always makes their legs feel softer to me.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
gbabies2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddyandnick View Post
Are you using a scented wool wash? It might be a reaction to scents. Both of my boys have eczema but usually on their cheeks or arms. The longies and lanolin always makes their legs feel softer to me.
Nope, unscented wool wash and regular lanolin.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
gbabies2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaylee View Post
Our allergist said that under a microscope wool looks like barbed wire. I'm not sure if there are wool blends that might not be that harsh. What type of wool are you using?
Disana wool soaker seems to be okay (I think) but our Aristocrats knit longies were not okay. Now that may be just b/c the longies cover up the area where the eczema is and the Disana is just above it.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

IDK but my youngest and my DD's skin does better with wool. My youngest has it the worst of all 3 and when I put on freshly lanolized longies his skin looks perfect.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

It really depends on the kid. My 3rd had truly terrible eczema all over his legs when we used wool longies (even super soft ones washed in unscented wash only) and we only realized that was the trigger when we switched to wool soakers or Flip covers. My 4th gets mild eczema that gets much better with lanolin. My 5th seems to be sensitive to lanolin so wool didn't work for us even though the breathability was nice.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
Shaylee
Registered Users

Well, I am hoping that all wool is not the same because I have a pair of interlock longies that I bought new and lanolized, but when I draped it over my arm, it felt prickly. I had DS1 put his arm through the pant leg without telling him why, and after half a minute, he said it was itchy, so I never put it on the baby. I am holding out hope that there is a super soft brand that will work for us.

Baby's skin is perfect right now. I am nervous mess around with wool and irritate him. He gets itchy around his belly and ankles.

I have thought about trying disana, but hesitate to invest too much in wool that might not work for him. Does disana feel irritating on your skin if you put your arm through it?

Maybe someone else has some suggestions.

Last edited by Shaylee; 02-05-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Shaylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
Zepp
DS Addict
Formerly: K*B*T*M*
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's probably the wool wash. My guy is very sensitive and we wear wool daily. But when I traded for some, he totally broke out. I rewashed and he's been fine.