Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #31
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you do not live in the US...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
I guess I haven't witnessed enough situations here where it was a true misunderstanding. More of the time it's a personal attitude thing. Rude is rude, it doesn't matter where you came from or currently live.
Yessss

Advertisement

MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #32
imjustjessa
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmomstl View Post
I so want to know what thread this is.... I smell drama
Old 02-05-2013, 10:50 PM   #33
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
I guess I haven't witnessed enough situations here where it was a true misunderstanding. More of the time it's a personal attitude thing. Rude is rude, it doesn't matter where you came from or currently live.
Agreed.

- A West Coast Canadian
Old 02-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #34
Puppydog
Banned for 6 months for ignoring repeated request to attempt to be polite/respectful.

Have you considered that those you accuse of being rude feel the same way about you? Some things DON'T need to be brought into threads. Its just socially inept.

Anyway, I don't post where I'm from for a very valid reason. One I don't feel the need to go into.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #35
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

Then, next we'll need to have people also post whether they are liberal or conservative? Or AP, corporal punishment or somewhere in between? Religious beliefs?

Assuming because people are from somewhere somehow signifies their values or beliefs is a gross generalization. I think this idea is in fact the issue... gross generalizations which people then use to judge context for things they don't agree with.

How much does one need to know about another poster? The fact is one either concurs with the subject or not. Every statement made doesn't need to be agreed with, or argued; however, simply acknowledging your beliefs are different is not the same as imposing your beliefs on other, or telling them their beliefs are outdated/wrong/sexist/etc.
HugeBabyBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #36
apboyles
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yeah no. I've had two recent possible FSOT transactions messed up because they assumed that just because I lived in Germany I had a german address. Which isn't true, I have an APO so it irritated me enough that I just took it off. Not that I really think it matters where someone lives/was raised because you should respect their opinions anyway.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:19 AM   #37
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by apboyles
Yeah no. I've had two recent possible FSOT transactions messed up because they assumed that just because I lived in Germany I had a german address. Which isn't true, I have an APO so it irritated me enough that I just took it off. Not that I really think it matters where someone lives/was raised because you should respect their opinions anyway.
Hi. I live in Germany as well with an APO address. Every time I want to buy something from FSOT I ask them up front of they'll ship to an APO, including the not so fun but unavoidable customs form, and also offer to pay the difference to have it shipped priority so it doesn't take 2 months to get here, lol. I haven't had any trouble since I cover all the bases with them ahead of time. Not sure what went wrong wi your transactions but just thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:07 AM   #38
Puppydog
Banned for 6 months for ignoring repeated request to attempt to be polite/respectful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeBabyBoy View Post
Then, next we'll need to have people also post whether they are liberal or conservative? Or AP, corporal punishment or somewhere in between? Religious beliefs?

Assuming because people are from somewhere somehow signifies their values or beliefs is a gross generalization. I think this idea is in fact the issue... gross generalizations which people then use to judge context for things they don't agree with.

How much does one need to know about another poster? The fact is one either concurs with the subject or not. Every statement made doesn't need to be agreed with, or argued; however, simply acknowledging your beliefs are different is not the same as imposing your beliefs on other, or telling them their beliefs are outdated/wrong/sexist/etc.
Totally OT but I love your username. It makes me think of cute little squish rolls. <3
Old 02-06-2013, 02:17 AM   #39
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeBabyBoy View Post

A lot of people post those things in their siggys. They don't have to, but for me, it does help me understand their perspective. If someone asks a question about CIO I will indicate that I am more or less anti-CIO in my post, although I will try to be as respectful as possible. It helps them understand where I'm coming from.

I think generalizations can be helpful in many ways. When I approach a patient at work, I smile and introduce myself, keep good eye contact, and ask how they are doing in a friendly, neutral manner. This is part of how I was acclimated culturally. Based on people's reaction I change how I interact with them. I even go into a southern drawl at times with some people. Lol! When I meet a Spanish speaking person for the first time I don't assume they don't understand English until they start saying yes to all my questions. Then I break out my Spanish to facilitate conversation. My point with this is, you have to start somewhere with people and then fill in the holes and adjust the way you interact with them.

And I agree, one either agrees with something or disagrees. I won't hesitate to say when I think something is wrong, though, and I won't abandon my basic morals. I may change my perspective on something, but I have my limits, as do we all.

Posting on a message board where you can't see people or 'hear' their tone is challenging. That is why sharing some details about yourself is useful, IMO.

FTR, I'm semi-liberal, Christian, breastfeeding mom to 4 kids, Spanish speaking wife to an awesome Mexican man, RN, knitter, want gun control, Oklahoman who voted for Obama, anti-CIO for infants, DS is circumcised, love to read, AP, postpartum panic disorder and depression survivor, redhead, and insomniac as a result of working night shift-haha! All things I have shared before, but there it is all together.
Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #40
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmama View Post
Does this mean you Americans all think alike?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
I hope not! What a scary thought.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote