Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #41
Kirsie
Registered Users
Formerly: Kir***m
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,069
My Mood:
Re: If you do not live in the US...

I've had my location in since I joined. I also used to have one of those cutesy little flags in my signature until I got jacked up for my signature being "too long" so I just deleted a bunch of stuff outta there. I think there are only a select few that will notice it, anyway. I think people, in all aspects of this conversation, need to embrace humility. Online forums leave us to try to gather a lot of contextual information about a conversation and the people in it with very little information. We basically use standard information based on norms to decipher them (ie. most posters are geographically western, particularly US, mostly women, etc). We all should know that we may be wrong about how we are positioning someone and also that we may be understood incorrectly. It doesn't offend me to correct people. There's no need to have to pick apart my post to determine that I am not like the majority when I can simply say it.

What's with all the, "What next?! We need to detail our shoe size, breakfast cereal brand!!!" No one says you NEED to do anything. She made a request not an imperative. Change nothing and move on if you don't agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
I guess I haven't witnessed enough situations here where it was a true misunderstanding. More of the time it's a personal attitude thing. Rude is rude, it doesn't matter where you came from or currently live.
I agree. Offensive people usually intend to be offensive.

Advertisement

__________________
Please excuse my spelling- I am typing with one hand and trying to hold on to my sanity with the other.

Last edited by Kirsie; 02-06-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Kirsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #42
Dory's Avatar
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,900
I have the Android app. I can't see locations, view feedback, or see real signatures.
__________________
I'm Incredible.
Mom to a girl - 6, a boy - 4, and Baby - 2
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #43
napua's Avatar
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 12,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsie
I've had my location in since I joined. I also used to have one of those cutesy little flags in my signature until I got jacked up for my signature being "too long" so I just deleted a bunch of stuff outta there. I think there are only a select few that will notice it, anyway. I think people, in all aspects of this conversation, need to embrace humility. Online forums leave us to try to gather a lot of contextual information about a conversation and the people in it with very little information. We basically use standard information based on norms to decipher them (ie. most posters are geographically western, particularly US, mostly women, etc). We all should know that we may be wrong about how we are positioning someone and also that we may be understood incorrectly. It doesn't offend me to correct people. There's no need to have to pick apart my post to determine that I am not like the majority when I can simply say it.

What's with all the, "What next?! We need to detail our shoe size, breakfast cereal brand!!!" No one says you NEED to do anything. She made a request not an imperative. Change nothing and move on if you don't agree.

I agree. Offensive people usually intend to be offensive.
I agree with everything you said.
__________________
J+C=M+M
napua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #44
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 3,386
Re: If you do not live in the US...

I think it really depends on the thread -- some things don't really matter where you are from, some things are more affected by your location. Since the vast majority of people who post on DS are North American females, I think most of us read a thread with that picture in our minds unless the poster has there location noted. If you are posting about laws, customs, people, etc. in your area, and you don't note that you are in a foreign country, people are going to assume that your area is similar to the US/Canada. Yes, there are some major differences between NYC and San Antonio or LA. But not nearly as much difference as there would be in Russia or Saudi Arabia or Morrocco, or wherever. If you truly don't want people to know what country you are in, then there is absolutely no one here trying to force you to say. But then you can't get offended when someone interprets something you say with a North American bias. Is it right? No. It's just reality.
__________________
Mom to Micah, born 10/6/08And Isaiah, born 8/23/10
Use Swagbucks and earn free stuff just for being online! Yup, it really is free!
MamaJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #45
ExpatMama1990's Avatar
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,913
My Mood:
Re: If you do not live in the US...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPants View Post
I"m in the USA but not American, so do I need to post that too?? LOL
Same here!

I had more details about my location/foreign background on here for a while, but then I started getting stalked on Facebook and locked down some stuff.... :S
__________________
C, British Expat, Wife to A, Mama to DD & DD2
ExpatMama1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #46
Chasing Zen's Avatar
Chasing Zen
Registered Users
Formerly: ccsmom11
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,169
My Mood:
Re: If you do not live in the US...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkify View Post
I think it's ridiculous to tell someone what they need to disclose on a board because it may impact the way others react and interact with them. It also functions under the assumption that the region/area/country you currently live has defined you and every other person in your area in a similar way...and that of course is just not the case.

Maybe instead of telling everyone to put location in everyone should be reminded there is another person, with feelings, behind the screen-that person could be your best friend, sister-in-law, future son-in-law's mother, etc. and that no one is perfect-no matter what they try to present here on DS- check your Tiaras at the door.
__________________
Jeanie, proud WAHM behind ChasingZen on Etsy. Your place for Wool Interlock Longies, Shorties, Soakers, Bloomers and Skirties
Chasing Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #47
mom22sofar's Avatar
mom22sofar
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,136
Re: If you do not live in the US...

Meh, I don't have a problem disclosing I am not American, but find it kind of ethnocentric to be asked to do so. I like to think my thoughts ideas and beliefs are much more than a reflection of my nationality. And, I never assume anyone is American just because they post here. I have no issue with those that choose not to disclose their location, assuming they are not buying something on FSOT.
__________________
Heather
DD 9, DS 8, DD 3,DS 2, and DD 7 mos
mom22sofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #48
lizdanielle's Avatar
lizdanielle
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 214
I'm a little confused... I'm being sincere here... There are SO many different cultures here in the states. There are no original Americans other than Native American (not meaning to start another argument here); our country is young and has been established by a WIDE range of beautifully different people from all over the world. Yes, there will be misunderstandings due to culture differences. But that happens even within cultures. For example, you can't easily clump together Chicago Hispanics with California Hispanics and Texas Hispanics (some may even slaughter me for using "Hispanic"- sorry Latinas and Chicanas! Don't mean offense ).
Misunderstandings, being that they are genuine, are a beautiful way of learning about another's culture. Take the time to ask where people are coming from, and be willing to explain your own rationale with the understanding that there is no "right" way of doing things (within reason, of course).
Really, who hasn't had a misunderstanding with their neighbor for lack of knowing where they are coming from?
lizdanielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #49
jam's mum's Avatar
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,522
Re: If you do not live in the US...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom22sofar View Post
Meh, I don't have a problem disclosing I am not American, but find it kind of ethnocentric to be asked to do so. I like to think my thoughts ideas and beliefs are much more than a reflection of my nationality. And, I never assume anyone is American just because they post here. I have no issue with those that choose not to disclose their location, assuming they are not buying something on FSOT.
Yes.
__________________
Mama to my sweetheart, Jamila (5/2011); wife to my mensch, Josh. Eleanor to you
jam's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #50
PoshPants
Registered
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,492
My Mood:
Re: If you do not live in the US...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizdanielle View Post
I'm a little confused... I'm being sincere here... There are SO many different cultures here in the states. There are no original Americans other than Native American (not meaning to start another argument here); our country is young and has been established by a WIDE range of beautifully different people from all over the world. Yes, there will be misunderstandings due to culture differences. But that happens even within cultures. For example, you can't easily clump together Chicago Hispanics with California Hispanics and Texas Hispanics (some may even slaughter me for using "Hispanic"- sorry Latinas and Chicanas! Don't mean offense ).
Misunderstandings, being that they are genuine, are a beautiful way of learning about another's culture. Take the time to ask where people are coming from, and be willing to explain your own rationale with the understanding that there is no "right" way of doing things (within reason, of course).
Really, who hasn't had a misunderstanding with their neighbor for lack of knowing where they are coming from?
I'm still confused what hispanic means why not just use the country you are from? and if you are born in the USA, say american? maybe it's too simple that way?
__________________
IHA: books, fabric, lots of new baby clothes, toys
ISO: Amazon codes, Paypal or Gift Cards
PoshPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.