Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #71
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory
I'm also reminded of that thread started by someone who may our may not be a troll who was married/involved/single, living off her mom, and her brother was the only driver but the girl was mad that brother's girlfriend was living off of mom too, and had the nerve to consider getting her driver's license. With most of us being Westerners (American and Canadian), most if us react very abruptly at her way of thinking, while I suppose in other cultures it's more accepted/expected to live that way? If that were clear from the start it would've cut out some of the replies.
That's the thread I thought this came from! I've seriously missed the catalyst for this one... Darn work has kept me busy.

...carry on, I'll go read the other thread...

Advertisement

HugeBabyBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #72
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you do not live in the US...

Last month 4 women were killed in a government subsidized apartment complex. My husband has worked at the apartment cleaning it up and says there were definitely drugs involved. But, the parts I quoted are the attitudes I have been brought up with and played a part in my response to that thread. The father who lost his 2 girls is concerned for the family of the man who killed them. No doubt he wants to see justice served, but that will be served by the court and jail time, or the death penalty.

And the quote from our mayor recognizes the cause of this crime, and in my city efforts are already underway to help that area. If you don't try to fix the problem, things like this will continue to occur.

I guess that's just where I was coming from in that thread. It's not a rudeness issue, I am just deeply disturbed by the attitudes shown. If a whole group of people is dehumanized and thought to be worse than animals and called 'things' I will take issue with it. I sincerely hope this reaction by that poster is based on trauma and not what she really feels or what others in her country feel, or really, there is no hope for those people to do better or be better if there is no effort made to help the situation or stop the cause of the crime. I seriously am deeply disturbed by this.

http://www.newson6.com/story/2101791...e-arrests-made

Powell said he feels sorry for the Poore family.

"My girls suffered, I know they suffered. They were tormented, you don't know what they had to go through that day, and I try not to think about that," Powell said. "Now their family is going to have to go through that and wonder what these boys are going to be put through."

http://www.newson6.com/story/2099832...adruple-murder

"The Tulsa Police Department is known for their quick efforts of finding perpetrators and they indeed lived up to their stellar reputation for this case. I have the utmost confidence in Chief Chuck Jordan and the Tulsa Police Department and I knew they would bring in those involved with this hideous quadruple murder in very short order. Although a direct tip from the public cannot be identified as the catalyst that led to the arrests, tips are always important, which is part of great police work from our force."

"We can now get to the essence of this issue and that is much bigger than crime, it's about poverty. We're moving forward on our mission to establish a method to hold out-of-state apartment owners accountable for safe, secure and peaceful places to live. We continue to look down every possible avenue on how we can improve our city."
Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #73
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

And for the Hispanic/Latino thing, Dh says he doesn't care if he's called either, although "Latino" indicates a geographic location(latin America) and hispanic indicates a Spanish speaking person. He says it can be offensive if someone calls him Mexican, I guess because not all Hispanic/Latino people are Mexican. He's a mestizo (Spanish/native mexican) and our children are "pochos" or half Mexican/half white children born in the USA. I think pocho can also mean Mexican descent American born/Americanized children.

Last edited by Mom23kids; 02-07-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Autocorrect!
Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #74
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam's mum View Post
Hispanic means a person with ethnic or cultural ties to Latin America (and/or Spain), though they are a citizen of America.

Latin@ culture and heritage is a big and distinctive part of American society. It is important to many people to identify as Mexican-American or Puerto Rican-American or Cuban American, or or or...

I think this whole conversation might hinge on the difference between self-identifying as a particular ethnicity or nationality, and being identified by others. As in, accept what a person says they are, if they claim any national distinction at all, don't assume it, and don't require it. Simples.
I guess since they are all so different, I don't get lumping them into hispanic. Maybe it's somthing I'll never get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel89411 View Post
Just because you were born in the USA does not mean you are American.

Hmm...you know how we (Americans) say French-American, Latino-American, etc...? Do other countries say American-French, German-French and the like?

Is autocorrect a pain world wide?
I've never heard of people using those terms unless you ask about heritage. If they are born in the USA they have right to a US passport. (regardless of parents) that isn't the same in most other countries. (women from china are coming to long stay hotels here so the baby is born in america and getting citizenship)

I europe people usually tend to say where they were born, or grew up if they moved as a baby. I've never heard of any of the dual stuff like here.

I saw a survey that had american Caribbean and no other options. There are other countries with islands in the Caribbean!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #75
lizdanielle
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPants

I'm still confused what hispanic means why not just use the country you are from? and if you are born in the USA, say american? maybe it's too simple that way?
I think people do it for different reasons. But for me this is how it works:
My race is White/Caucasian, my ethnicity is Hispanic, and my nationality is American.
As another poster mentioned, some get offended by being called Mexican American. Although I would not be offended, this would be incorrect for me. My family is Spanish and German, migrated into Mexico and has in the exact same place for over 7 generations. Now it just happens to be Texas (the whole "the border crossed us, we didn't cross the border" kind of situation).
You can choose to identify with any ethnicity you choose
lizdanielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #76
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPants View Post
I guess since they are all so different, I don't get lumping them into hispanic. Maybe it's somthing I'll never get.

I've never heard of people using those terms unless you ask about heritage. If they are born in the USA they have right to a US passport. (regardless of parents) that isn't the same in most other countries. (women from china are coming to long stay hotels here so the baby is born in america and getting citizenship)

I europe people usually tend to say where they were born, or grew up if they moved as a baby. I've never heard of any of the dual stuff like here.

I saw a survey that had american Caribbean and no other options. There are other countries with islands in the Caribbean!
I think it is probably different in different states. Many say x-American here if they or their parents were born in another country. Some also say it if they have dual citizenship. My DH refers to himself as Italian-American (as do many here), he is Italian and holds American citizenship.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote