Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
MandaElaine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Getting started!

Hey everyone! I was hoping for some advice. I recently made the decision to become a SAHM. I have always been interested in sewing, but have never used a machine. I used to hand sew clothes for my dolls as a kid and have hand sewn a few smaller items here and there. I was considering purchasing a sewing machine, but don't know where to start.

I don't want to get one that is really expensive or complicated, but I want one that will work well. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Advertisement

MandaElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Getting started!

I got a brother machine when my Singer machine bit the dust. I didn't have the money to get a fancy machine even though I do know how to sew. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20 This looks like a good machine. It is cheaper then I paid but it has less stitches then my machine.

Good luck and I hope this inspires a life long love of sewing!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
MandaElaine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! I tried to research them on my own, but there are so many! I did find someone on Craigslist that has a like-new Singer Brilliance for $50, which seems like a good deal. I'm not really sure how it compares to the one you recommended though. I want something that will do a good job, but not have so many options that I can't figure it out!

I hope it inspires a lifelong love of sewing as well! I have always had an interest in sewing, but was too scared to get started. Hopefully I can teach myself!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The singer could be good for you. I made this: http://www.ourunplannedlife.com/2013...nel-board.html in college and it killed my machine. I tried to get it repaired and the repair man laughed at me.

Needless to say, anything I think might be as thick as this, I don't make. It isn't worth it to me.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The machines that sew the best, will last and won't cost a huge amount are vintage. Look for a used 50's or 60's machine on your local CL.
mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
sparksmomma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmsrk View Post
The machines that sew the best, will last and won't cost a huge amount are vintage. Look for a used 50's or 60's machine on your local CL.
I agree with this! I am using my mom's Viking/Husqvarna from the 70's and it works like a dream! It is a total workhorse!
sparksmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
mollypeters
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmsrk View Post
wss!
mollypeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
MandaElaine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the advice! There are a TON of older machines on CL, but I just assumed that a newer one would be easier to use. Is any particular brand better?
Old 03-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
WVflipflopmama
Registered Users

My Mood:
I've always heard vintage machines are best too. I'd love to learn to sew myself so I'm keeping an eye out for one.
WVflipflopmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:14 AM   #10
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaElaine View Post
Thanks for the advice! There are a TON of older machines on CL, but I just assumed that a newer one would be easier to use. Is any particular brand better?
I don't know of any older brands that were total lemons. Singers and Kenmores are the ones you will likely find the most of, I believe they were the top sellers in the US during that time. Another advantage of those would be the ability to find parts or accessory if you need to.

I have a 1968 Kenmore 158 that is HEAVY(table model) and ugly(named The Hulk) but will sew through anything, 10 layers of heavy denim, no problem. In contrast my new to me, expensive(MSRP $2,500) Janome 6600 balks going over a seam with only 4 layers of quilting cotton.

My only suggestion is to look for a "zig zag" model. Many machines at the time were only straight stitch but they had special models that did both, you can do pretty much anything with those 2 stitches.
mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote