Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Online Schools

If you move a lot, I would also consider that name recognition of your university is going to matter a lot. If you go to a little school that no one has ever heard of, you may have a harder time getting an interview.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #12
kstar
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmomstl

FWIW, you will probably need a MBA to get a decent job. So many people have business degrees and the job market is shot. Just getting a business degree for versatility isn't probably the best choice. You may want to look into other degree options that may make you more marketable. Business degrees are a dime a dozen.
Do you have suggestions for other types of degrees?
Old 02-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
kstar
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoo
When considering a school, find the answer to two questions:

1) Is it non-profit? If it is for-profit, run away.

2) Is it regionally accredited? Do not consider a school that is NOT regionally accredited. All schools will say they are fully accredited/nationally accredited/etc, but are not REGIONALLY accredited, and that's the only one that matters. If it is not regionally accredited, you are wasting your money, IMO. It means that your credits would not transfer to reputable schools and that employers would likely look down on your degree.

http://www.chea.org/Directories/regional.asp Here is a list of the regional accrediting bodies. For a school located in Arizona, you would need to look for accreditaton by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Here is a list of the schools in AZ that are regionally accredited: http://www.ncahlc.org/component/com_...submit,Search/ Of course, if you're doing distance ed, you may also be considering schools based out of other states.
Thank you for this! I actually live in tx though do you have a link for that by chance? Ideally, I would LOVE to go to university of Texas (Austin) But I don't think they offer distance learning and I live in el paso . Although we do have university of Texas here too

Last edited by kstar; 02-06-2013 at 11:51 AM.
kstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #14
kstar
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
If you move a lot, I would also consider that name recognition of your university is going to matter a lot. If you go to a little school that no one has ever heard of, you may have a harder time getting an interview.
I've heard that before, but thank you for the reminder
Old 02-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #15
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

The regional accrediting agency for schools in Texas is the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. Here is a list of the accredited schools in TX: http://www.sacscoc.org/ - just click on the picture of the state of TX.

Last edited by myoo; 02-06-2013 at 02:17 PM.
myoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #16
kstar
Registered Users
seller

Thank you so much myoo. Ive been looking at schools here and am hoping to find one that will allow me to do both online classes and some classes on location, or one that is entirely online as going to school in person full time is not an option for me right now