Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Stretchy crochet stitches?

I am wanting to make a cocoon for this baby and he is a boy. So the ice cream cone pattern that I found will not work. So now I am looking for something else I can do.

I prefer to crochet as I do that faster then anything else (I know how to knit but I am not fast at it). I have "The Crochet Handbook and Stitch Guide" but it doesn't have anything in it for stretch.

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Stretchy crochet stitches?

I have no idea what it is called but I call it a faux ribbed stitch. (Sorry I suck at reading real patterns. )
You just do a row of normal double crochet type stitches. Next row instead of going through the loops on top... you alternate going around the stitches themselves one in front and then one in back. You then repeat going going around the fronts of all the ones you went in front before and behind the ones you went behind.

It ends up looking like the bodice (not the straps) of this dress. It has stretch sideways and a little vertically.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia

Last edited by Rdesonia; 02-05-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
saraOH
Registered Users

Re: Stretchy crochet stitches?

Those are called Front Post Double Crochet (fpdc) and Back Post Double Crochet (bpdc) and create a ribbing effect similar to what knit 1, purl 1 does in knit. Great suggestion on a stretchy crochet stitch.
saraOH is offline   Reply With Quote