Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
catzmeow
Registered Users

Childcare costs, salary, and WOH...

We currently have one child in daycare and I'm pregnant with #2, due early October.

My job has good benefits - but low salary. Due to the economy, we've all been on salary freeze. No one has gotten a raise in years, so it's not just me. However, in the 5 years since I've started here, my workload and level of responsibility has increased immensely. I started out as an "intern" of sorts with a lighter workload and a lot of filing/phone answering, and now I'm doing the same tasks as everyone else. If this had been my job description when I was hired, I would have expected $12-15k more per year!

When the new baby comes, all of my take-home pay will be going to childcare. I'll basically be working for health insurance and a retirement package. My DH has a good income, but his company's health plan sucks , so that's why we're on mine.

I keep telling myself if I wait it out, I should be in line for a big raise... but what about the meantime? Who the heck knows when the economy will improve to the point that they decide we deserve a raise, and who knows how much it will be? I've tried talking to DH about it, but he is very much against me staying home. He thinks we'd be crazy to give up my benefits.

Anyway, WWYD? Maybe I just need to vent a little. I do agree with DH, the benefits really are good - it's hard to find this kind of benefit package anywhere else... but I do feel my day-to-day work is severely underpaid and I'm not sure I see an end to that anytime in the near future.

Some days I try to remind myself I'm lucky to have a job, especially one with benefits.

It's going to be hard enough financially with the new little one, but knowing that ALL of my take-home pay will be going toward something that I could do and WANT to do myself (caring for my littles!) is kind of frustrating...

Advertisement

Last edited by catzmeow; 03-12-2013 at 09:56 AM.
catzmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
HotPotato1010
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Childcare costs, salary, and WOH...

Wow, I could have posted this myself! Word for word, seriously. We are in the SAME situation.

Like you, I want BADLY to be a SAHM to my 2 kids. We just can't afford it right now. I admit that I have awesome health care, and that is really important. The retirement package is also nice. Think about the future... think about the future... think about the future.... retirement, stability... I have to keep telling myself that. If we were in better economic times, I'd take a riskier decision.

It sucks, but I know that it's best that I work. We've crunched the numbers, and it's just too tight for me to stay home.

It's a personal decision, and you have to do what works for your family. Sending you positive wishes that you can decide what's best for your family!

Wifey to DH May 8, 2010
Mommy to Eva Oct 31, 2010 (2.5 years old!)
Mommy to Olivia Apr 30, 2012 (1 year old!)
HotPotato1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
catzmeow
Registered Users

Thank you! At least I know I'm not alone! That's the same thing I keep saying... think about the future... We could live on DH's salary, but his health plan would cost us a lot more, especially with all the well-child visits for two - plus the sick visits from being in daycare! (Mine has no copay for well-child!)

Ugh. I'm so frustrated. Thanks for the support, and I'm sending mine to you, too!
catzmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm in the same boat, mama. I won't get a raise because it would cost the company more to have me in a different tax bracket. My salary is less than a year's tuition at my alma mater.

DH keeps telling me to just hold out a bit longer. We are hoping he gets a job closer to home that pays more, so I can stay at home. Or I find a job closer to home with equal pay to what I get more (which isn't even a lot).

My benefits are what keeps me here, and the ease of the job. They're lenient if I have to suddenly leave because of the kids or my sick mother. But I'm miserable and hoping something nice pops up!

I hope you can find a pot of gold at the end of the dismal employment rainbow. (((hugs)))
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My job is boring, mindless, and I work with a bunch of people that have a complete lack of common sense (basically stupid). I wish I could say I was exaggerating. But I am not. However my company has amazing health care. Family coverage, which is very very good, is all employer paid. It is flexible if I need to leave for the kids or take time off if they are sick. I have plenty of paid days off to use.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

And this is why I'm home. I'm a teacher, and with a salary freeze, furlough days, and raise in insurance premiums, my pay my 6th year would have been less than my 1st. Combine that with the raise of gas and cost for 2 in childcare, I would barely break even. My oldest will be heading to kindergarten this year so I will be applying for jobs.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Once our kid 2 is in daycare I will be bringing home about $250 a month. But, with the excellent benefits I have and retirement package it is worth it to me. I am not in the same situation you are though. Hopefully things will look up for you soon.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
Sarai*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can see it also as holding your place in the work force. If you stayed home, when your kids were in school, it would be much harder to get a job.

I worked part time until recently. A few month ago, with college for our eldest looming, I really needed to increase our income, and because I had maintained employment all that time, it was not difficult getting full time work in my field.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #9
nachoslyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is me word for word. My health insurance compared to my husbands health insurance is amazing. But in the end with daycare for a NB and after school care for DS#1 I would only be bringing home about $100 a month. DH and I are still crunching numbers seeing what will unveil. One of our options has been for me to find WAH in my field which is not impossible just extremely hard or work Part Time at nights when he can be home with the kids so we would save on day care/after school expenses and at the same time keep my resume open.
It is a very personal decision. I would love to be with my NB for at least the first year but it will all depend on the numbers. DH however finds it useless for me to go back to work if in the end every penny is going into daycare. Sunday was my last day at my job. How I set up my PTO and FMLA we have until May to figure things out.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

If you go down to part time would that be better or worse? We're kinda stuck where I barely make more than childcare cost but we need that barely to make ends meet...
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote