Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #31
arihillfarm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help! Our vacuum is dead :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
I looooove my mom's kirbys.
This is for the OP. My mother just replaced her mid 1960's Kirby a couple of years ago. It was still going, she just wanted something newer, LOL! We bought a used 5th Gen. Kirby about 3-4 years ago with all of the attachments and the car and carpet shampooer for about $150 shipped on Ebay. So far we've only had to replace the power cord and it was an easy DIY job, just plug the new one in and screw together the cord strain relief. You can buy the HEPA bags and they work great. We LOVE this vacuum. It does a fantastic job and while it is heavy to push when it is not on, it has some kind of automatic transmission that makes it very light and easy to push when it is in drive.

-Astrid

Advertisement

WAHM to DD 13, DS 6 and DS 3 and I'm a Magic Maker with Off to Neverland Travel, specializing in Disney! Ask me about how to get the vacation of your dreams (Disney or elsewhere) for the best price and service possible at no extra cost to you. "Like" my agency page on Facebook for the latest travel specials!
arihillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #32
stephbrown13
Registered Users

We have a shark too and I love it. My sister got a Dyson at the same time, and I actually prefer the Shark. I don't like the way the wand works on the Dyson. They both have the same 7 year warranty and claim to never loose suction. If I was going to spend the big bucks on a vacuum, I'd get a Miele
Mama to DS1 05/03/10 and DS2 12/13/11. Due with #3 07/21/13
stephbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #33
Nvidaoc
Registered Users
seller

Another vote for a used Rainbow here. I live in the desert and no hepa filter can keep up with the dust in the summer but the water chambered Rainbow can! The one I have has been in the family for 30 years and only went kaput earlier this year. I took in in to a vacuum repair shop and all it needed was a $12 part and a good cleaning and the tech said it should have at least another decade of life left.

Have you thought about repairing your old vacuum before buying a new one?
Nvidaoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #34
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the hose not sucking up on my dyson was my biggest gripe. I went thru my house twice w the new shark and its STILL getting hair and dirt out of the carpet. so gross.
just to try it all out, I used my dyson on living carpet and then used the new shark, TONS of stuff came up. i had my vac 2 yrs. I am so happy to be rid of it. the shark was $149 this week at target with a $20 gift card. plus I bought it on my target card for 5% off
Old 02-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #35
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We have a dyson and love it. We've had it about 6 years. It's broken twice but we called customer service. They were super nice. The first time they sent a free replacement canister. The second time they talked us through a repair. We thought we would have had to spend all this money on repairs or buy a new one. Their customer service is fantastic.
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #36
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

I didn't read all of the responses, but we bought a refurbished dyson for about $250 a year ago.

Our previous vacuum (a Kenmore canister vac...highest rated by consumer reports at the time) last 5 years before the motor literally caught on fire. I hope the Dyson lasts longer than that. I seriously thought vacuums lasted like 20 years!
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #37
4kids4me
Registered Users

Ours is probably 8-9 years old (purple animal) and still kicking. The hose could be replaced, but it's not a big deal.

ETA: It was a refurb too.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #38
4kids4me
Registered Users

There is the refurb. dyson animal as today's deal of the day for $299.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #39
wooly_wonderful
Registered Users
Formerly: lxl***ca
seller

My Mood:
My parents own a cleaning business and they use shark vacuums. They will use a dyson if a customer requests, but say they don't work as well as the shark.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
wooly_wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #40
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

We've had out dyson for 3ish years. It works pretty good but still gets overwhelmed occasionally with 2 dogs and 3 of us with long hair. Last year we bought a rainbow and love it. Didn't love the pricetag but got tired of buying a new vacuum every 2-3 years. The rainbow is heavy so the dyson stays upstairs for my daughters to use for their rooms.