Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

I need boy room inspiration!

We have finally finished our teen's room downstairs, so he's all settled into his new room and we can separate the two upstairs rooms into boy/girl. I have my DD's room all planned out in detail (fairy theme). That was super easy. But now I'm completely stuck on the boys' room.

DS2 is 3 and then the baby is just 4 months. He'll be in our room for a couple more months at least and then we'll set up his crib. Right now DS2 is in a toddler bed, but DD is getting a new bedroom set and so her current captain's bed will be handed down to DS2 (twin size). We have a set of bunk beds the boys can eventually move into, but for now it's in the guest room as two separate beds. The only thing I'm sure of is that I don't want red or orange as part of the color scheme/theme. I just don't like them. And...go!

eta: I'm also hoping to find something that will grow with them.

Advertisement

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!

Last edited by Rainfall; 02-05-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We're getting ready to redo DS1's room right now. He's 5 and I'm wanting something he can grow into. I'm doing the walls in light grey with accents and decor in dark grey and lime green.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would go with either nautical or jungle. Start with paint and a few themed decor accents, then you can expand or contract the level of theme based on their interests/age. For example, navy and gray color scheme with white trim, a print of a sailboat and a rope bouy doorstop, then you can add more nautical things or strip everything down to just the paint colors for a neutral room.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Skip the nursery stuff and To straight to superheroes. I got awesome deals on super hero stuff on etsy and ideas on pintrest.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Pirates!! Or outer space!!
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need boy room inspiration!

I'd paint the walls a light blue or light gray (or any other color you like) and do wall stickers based on what they like right now. That way as their tastes change and grow you can swap out the stickers for new ones (which aren't too expensive for the most part) and give them a 'new' room easily.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Thanks, mamas! I just asked DS2 what kind of room he wanted (and explained that DD was going to have fairies and butterflies) and he said "OH! Superman!" LOL, so much for "no red" haha.

We're doing our sunroom and basement living area in a cottage beach theme, so a nautical theme would either be really convenient (swapping/reusing accents) or overkill. I like the possibilities though. But I think I'll look into the superheroes theme as well since DS2 is alll about Power Rangers and Superman these days. He's also a ninja, you know.

Also, DD is getting an entire new room - furniture and all. So I do want to make the boys room just as special to him so that DS2 doesn't feel slighted. I plan on getting a new furniture set for the boys' room once baby is out of the crib so that I can buy matching beds (unless they want to work with the bunk beds we have in the guest room I suppose).

Old 02-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Oh I like the wall stickers suggestion, thanks! I'll be doing vinyl wall decals for DD but didn't want to put up anything so permanent for the boys since the layout will likely change with new furniture down the road. Stickers would be too perfect though.

Hmm...maybe I should paint the walls neutral, do superheroes bedding (but the crib??), and get some fun accents and wall stickers. I did see a super cool idea to make some Hotwheels/Matchbox racks on the wall that I must do for DS2's eleventy-thousand cars.

Last edited by Rainfall; 02-05-2013 at 05:55 PM.