Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Packing Lunches for Daycare

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
It wouldn't hurt to ask, but you have to decide ahead of time how important this is to you. If you do a simple phone call, "what is your policy on children bringing their own lunch?" then I can't imagine them thinking twice about it. If you start laying down the law, "she is only to eat what I provide, nothing else. ever. She is never to use plastic anything. ever. (etc etc)," well, then you might be labeled as a troublesome/crazy mom right off the bat. (Then again they might not blink an eye, but you never know!)

So, like I said, I'd figure out how important it is to you before you start anything, and then have a plan for how much you're going to push and what, exactly, you're going to request.
I agree with this. I think if you approach it with realistic expectations, it might work out. But as the new mom at the center, tread a bit lightly. In the 1 year old room, kiddos won't notice, but later on, kiddos will notice that your daughter eats "special" food and it may cause social issues when she is 3 or 4.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 02-05-2013 at 09:06 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #12
Bellaroo
Registered Users

We lived in Ontario when our son was in daycare and our centre had no issues with people sending their own meals. We sent our son's meals for awhile because of a suspected allergy but the centre started making his own modified meals once the allergy was confirmed.

Another family in the baby room brought their daughter's food every day as they had her on a pretty specific diet. The centre had no problem with it and would keep her high chair (and my son's) out of grabbing range when they were eating meals so that she would not eat anything that her parents were opposed to.
Bellaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #13
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

You might find that their food is just fine - although not organic perhaps. Have you asked?

My dd goes to a daycare centre where they provide snacks but we send lunch. The most processed food I've ever seen is a cracker. They eat all kinds of fruit & veg, cheese, edaname, eggs in various forms, the kids make muffins often (3 & 4yr olds), lots of chickpeas and other beans etc...

ETA - I wouldn't worry about the later on social issues. I'm a Brownie leader and at camp recently of the 30 girls I had 7 eating various different foods. The girls all asked about it but no one cared. (wheat free, vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, diabetic - I felt like I was a dietitian !!! )

Last edited by isabelsmummy; 02-05-2013 at 10:48 PM.
isabelsmummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:24 AM   #14
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxley View Post
The thought of going in at lunch and nursing her / feeding her lunch really appeals to me. It would mean they'd have one less kid to worry about. My aunt actually runs the centre (not the baby room) so I may be able to try for special treatment. I know as she ages I will totally get over my worrying so much about controlling her food, but at one year old she is still just a little baby in my eyes.
Going in might cause issues not just with the teacher (which it would be a disruption to if you came in every day) but for your lo's adjustment. If your sending her to daycare then send her to daycare.

For the food check with the policy. If they allow outside food then it is enough to say she has a special diet (usually, with your aunt running she knows it is a chosen special diet not required but a special diet all the same). And make sure your ok with her getting treats because more than likely she will get something you didn't send for her.

My dd has food allergies. She was in daycare in between 18 months and 2. She was pulled out because she had a bad reaction at the daycare and her provider refused to keep her epi-pen. The provider swears she did not eat anything but the food I provided. She did not go back to ay kind of care until 4. She has all food provided for her since 1 and she is still given treats occasionally at school. She has her own treats left in the classroom for when the rest of the class has a treat. Even last week her teacher gave her a treat that wasn't ours- it was safe, but it wasn't one we sent. DD has never complained about having different food, but then she knows she could die if she eats other people's food. When I was a preschool teacher we had one child who had her lunch everyday (non-allergic) and she never cared what others were having. More often then not the other kids wanted what she was having. DD's current school (k-8th) does not have a cafeteria at all. Everyone brings there own lunch. I worked at a preschool that was the same for a while (during the time when dd had her reaction). The kids never even looked at what the other kids were having. And if I ask dd what the friends at her table had, she usually can't tell me unless she deems it as something cool. We send cloth napkins and her utensils everyday. You can put a note on her stuff saying it microwave safe or whatever if you want it heated in your containers. If the utensils are packed in her daily lunch they will grab them just because they are closer. Doesn't mean it will happen 100% of the time, but unless you find a daycare that is with you 100% that is not going to happen.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:22 AM   #15
kanga1622
Registered Users

We have sent in food every day since DS started table foods. We have a planet box lunchbox so our DCP doesn't have to heat anything up. DS eats very well and as much as he wants the other kids' snacks sometimes, daycare steers him back to the ones we provided. If he is super hungry, DCP will give hime a banana or apple but otherwise sticks to the food we provide.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 02-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #16
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I disagree with not going in at lunch. I worked in daycare for yrs and lots of moms did this at lunch time. Just like in elem school I have friends go have lunch with their kids, it's nice! I rem a mom at day care send e every morsel of food and come often to nurse. THe only hassle was she was really strict. She would send raisins and say he could only have 7. She would count them and if he had like 10 she would freak out.

Bringing her food should not be a problem at all. For health reasons you are opposed to her eating crap! I also disagree that it will be an issue as she gets older. Nowadays so many kids have diff restrictions or their vegan or do paleo, etc. one of my friends is a really popular blogger and she does gluten free for her dd and does the coolest bento lunches with shapes and stuff. Her work is even featured in the new trader joes cookbook. She brings healthy snacks for the whole class sometimes (I think her dd is 8. )

I think it will be just fine. Esp if your aunt runs the center. The baby room has no say over the director.

Sent from Future Dwight

Last edited by bluedaisyma; 02-06-2013 at 06:22 AM.
bluedaisyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #17
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

We only used one for a short time, but their policy then was no outside food without a doctors note. My dd couldn't have cows milk, so we needed a note from her ped to send her soy milk instead.
s@hmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #18
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma View Post
I disagree with not going in at lunch. I worked in daycare for yrs and lots of moms did this at lunch time. Just like in elem school I have friends go have lunch with their kids, it's nice!
Sent from Future Dwight
That really depends on the center and the child. I was a preschool teacher and have also worked for years in daycare and preschool. In a home based one it usually works well for a parent to come in. In larger centers not so much. Especially if the child cries when left or has separation anxiety. It takes way longer for those kids to adjust to day care. It is very dependent on the child and the center. And the older they get it causes a big disruption to the class itself if multiple parents coming in and staying isn't a regular occurrence. Every center I have worked at encouraged parents to occasionally stop by but asked if you wanted to eat lunch with your child that you pick them up and return them after lunch rather then stay in the classroom. I would not be allowed at all to go into my daughter elementary school and sit to have lunch with her. For security reasons there is no way her elementary school would allow that.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #19
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxley View Post
I'm already the crazy mom because I admitted to cosleeping. I am not an aggressive person and I would never make demands, but what my dd eats is really important to me. In a perfect world I'd be a stay at home mom and this wouldn't be a worry.

I visited te daycare once and they were totally fine with cloth diapering. I know this sounds silly, but I'm worried about being "that mom" You know what I mean? My kid isn't trained to sleep in a crib, doesn't take a bottle, no pacifier, I cloth diaper,and on top of that I don't think there food is good enough. I'm totally "that mom" I guess I just need to grow a backbone.

Thanks for reading this rant, lol
This transition can be a hard one. Take it day by day. What is the policy at the centre for outside food? What does their menu look like? I cannot imagine them having issues with lunch coming in, especially if it is all ready to go. I would get her a bento style lunchbox, with utensils and such that you like, so it is easy and all in one place.

I will also say, mama, that you would be doing your DD a favour by encouraging her to learn to nap in a crib/PNP or nap mat or something similar to what they will use at the centre. It's a lot of new-ness for everyone, and that can be one thing she can learn at home. Saying it in the nicest way-- I was a co-sleeper, too.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #20
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeneely
You can but she will want what the other kids have (mom of 3 here) and won't eat what she has. Mark my word.
It sounds like we have VERY much the same views on food and nutrition - this is ONE meal a day. Soon, she will be eating the sand and her filthy hands will be in her mouth. I am not suggesting you let go/ease up - I have the sincerest intentions in explaining this.
Not for all kids. My ds has taken lunch to 2 years of preschool and is now in kinder. He eats what I send, whole foods plant based non-processed food.