Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designsbybequi
All sounds good. Half way through the year start Bob books. It really helps them in reading. Do them along with the reading program of choice. I liked hwot a lot. Make sure you touch on very basics of money, calendar, time, community helpers, animals, bugs. The book, "What your kindergartner should know" is awesome! It gives you a list of common books, poems, stories you need to read to them and history, science, art and all extras. Toad and Frog, Madelaine, Little House in the Prairie, Peter Rabbit, Aesops tales are a few good reads. It was a great guide, for instance the 7 continents. They had a page of it that I had my dd trace then color and I put it up for us to review a lot. Make sure to have lots of fun!!
Thanks! Where can I find the bob books? We don't have a Costco. I did get the what your kindergarten should know, and I remember seeing the continents in it, will that be sufficient or hours I look into something more?

I'm also looking into ETC. DH was looking at 100 easy lessons and he said it seemed more like for our 2yo, not a 5yo because it teaches sounds, which I kind of get but I haven't had a chance to look through it yet.

Also, do I need a reading program with these? We have a TON of books. The kids have a five shelf bookcase, a "toy box" full and a bunch downstairs. We have a few of what I'd consider classics (dr Seuss, rainbow fish, little bear, little critter, Bernstein bears, Peter rabbit, nursery rhymes and fables) can we use that or should I still look into a reading program with set books to read? Any recommendations on one if I should?

Advertisement

LittleThingsMama638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
7mom7
Registered Users

Re: Kindergarten curriculum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleThingsMama638 View Post
Thanks! Where can I find the bob books? We don't have a Costco. I did get the what your kindergarten should know, and I remember seeing the continents in it, will that be sufficient or hours I look into something more?

I'm also looking into ETC. DH was looking at 100 easy lessons and he said it seemed more like for our 2yo, not a 5yo because it teaches sounds, which I kind of get but I haven't had a chance to look through it yet.

Also, do I need a reading program with these? We have a TON of books. The kids have a five shelf bookcase, a "toy box" full and a bunch downstairs. We have a few of what I'd consider classics (dr Seuss, rainbow fish, little bear, little critter, Bernstein bears, Peter rabbit, nursery rhymes and fables) can we use that or should I still look into a reading program with set books to read? Any recommendations on one if I should?
I do need a reading program but that might just be my personality. I think we've got 8+ bookcases in our house and I still feel like we need a program In our curriculum they learn a sound and get one story per lesson that corresponds with the new sound they learned and reviews old sounds. My son's favorite part are the short stories, we usually read each one twice. Also, I think the order in which a curriculum presents info was helpful. Early on if I had given my son a book with words unfamiliar to him he would have been discouraged by it. There is a blog with reading lessons based on Bob Books that looked promising. I can't recall the name of it but I remember that it was free.

I still read A LOT of books to my kids but the stories in our curriculum are short and sweet. My son is really active so short works best for us. Also, I work, so I need curriculum that doesn't involve planning on my part.

Last edited by 7mom7; 02-07-2013 at 11:41 AM.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
Texasmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

this is what I am using for my kindergartener I use the free worksheets online and I also use reading eggs and progressive phonics for reading so far this is working well I only have been homeschooling for a month next year I plan on using Easy Peasy for all my kids. its a free curriculum that a christian mom made for her kids.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #14
dreamingoffireflies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherhead View Post
My dd is in K this year. We are using Sonlight P 4/5, CLE Math, and CLE Learning to Read. So far we are really enjoying everything. I love the variety of books that we read together with Sonlight. MFW looks like a good choice as well, but my dd was already past the learning to read that they teach in their K, so we went with Sonlight as it was more adaptable.
Do you think it's worth it to buy the Sonlight package, or could you just put together your own based on their package?

My ISO/IHA
dreamingoffireflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
Featherhead
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingoffireflies View Post
Do you think it's worth it to buy the Sonlight package, or could you just put together your own based on their package?
You could, but I find it easier just to buy it all from them. Some people get the books from the library, but some books you use for the whole year, or for several months, so it doesn't always work out well. It saves me a ton of time just to get it all from Sonlight, so I think it is worth it. The IG for P 4/5 isn't terribly necessary, but it is nice to have. The books are all scheduled for you, plus there are little activities thrown in here and there for you to do, if you like. I don't do any of that stuff. In the higher cores there are discussion questions, and notes for the books, so it becomes a little more important to have.
Featherhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #16
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mom7

I do need a reading program but that might just be my personality. I think we've got 8+ bookcases in our house and I still feel like we need a program In our curriculum they learn a sound and get one story per lesson that corresponds with the new sound they learned and reviews old sounds. My son's favorite part are the short stories, we usually read each one twice. Also, I think the order in which a curriculum presents info was helpful. Early on if I had given my son a book with words unfamiliar to him he would have been discouraged by it. There is a blog with reading lessons based on Bob Books that looked promising. I can't recall the name of it but I remember that it was free.

I still read A LOT of books to my kids but the stories in our curriculum are short and sweet. My son is really active so short works best for us. Also, I work, so I need curriculum that doesn't involve planning on my part.
Thanks! What other reading programs are there other than sonlight?
LittleThingsMama638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #17
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:

We used A Beka for K with our first last year and were very pleased with it as well as how well she was prepared for the first grade work and excelled at state requirements, so we'll be using it again for our second next year.
KumfyKozies™- Etsy Shop

Last edited by KumfyKozies; 02-08-2013 at 05:42 PM.
KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #18
7mom7
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleThingsMama638 View Post
Thanks! What other reading programs are there other than sonlight?
We've used Hooked on Phonics from the beginning with my oldest son. He started with their pre-k and is currently working through first grade. It's really fun and the lessons are short. I've looked into other programs but HOP is my favorite hands down.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #19
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

We are using Sonlight P 4/5 too (as K for my oldest and Pre-K for my 4yo)
also Explode the Code (and Happy Phonics from time to time)
Handwriting w/o tears
Singapore Essential
Bob books

they both LOVE Starfall.com and pbskids.org, so they learn a lot from that too
3rugrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #20
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingoffireflies View Post
I really love finding good deals, and have gotten what we need for P 4/5 all for under 150 used...but it does take a lot of effort but I am a little weird that way, love to research and spend lots of time hunting down deals. I will need to keep doing this if we stick w/ Sonlight too. I love Sonlight's book choices, but it gets pretty pricey down the road if you buy from them!

Last edited by 3rugrats; 02-12-2013 at 05:53 PM.
3rugrats is offline   Reply With Quote