Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
Registered Users
Kindergarten curriculum?

What was your kindergarten curriculum? I looking at mixing hwot with 100 easy lessons and then doing math u see primer. Thoughts on this? Other suggestions? Reading/writing and math are all I can think of, is there something else I need to teach him?

LittleThingsMama638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
Registered Users
All sounds good. Half way through the year start Bob books. It really helps them in reading. Do them along with the reading program of choice. I liked hwot a lot. Make sure you touch on very basics of money, calendar, time, community helpers, animals, bugs. The book, "What your kindergartner should know" is awesome! It gives you a list of common books, poems, stories you need to read to them and history, science, art and all extras. Toad and Frog, Madelaine, Little House in the Prairie, Peter Rabbit, Aesops tales are a few good reads. It was a great guide, for instance the 7 continents. They had a page of it that I had my dd trace then color and I put it up for us to review a lot. Make sure to have lots of fun!!
Jesus loving mama of girls 7,5,3 boy 1 with a girl due April 5th!
Designsbybequi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
Registered Users

Last edited by squiddles; 02-15-2013 at 05:15 PM.
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
Re: Kindergarten curriculum?

We use a combo of BOB Books,,, and Math Flashcards.

I need to focus more on handwriting. But it is SO HARD to get my Kindergartner to write w/o fighting him. Ugh. I need to work more on that.

But everything else is a conglomeration of the above.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

All you really need in Kindergarten is the Three R's. We are using My Father's World this year and my son really likes it.
SAHM to my 3 little munchkins, married to my , and getting back to a simpler life a little more everyday.
foggierbard9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
Registered Users

Right now, my 5yo is doing:

Phonics Pathways
MCP Phonics
Essential Math

I have a few other things that we do sometimes, but the above are his core learning materials.
SAHM to E (5/05), C(9/07) and R (8/10)
LAF512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
Registered Users

Sometimes I think I'm the only one that doesn't like 100 Easy Lessons! I bought it and let my son look at it and I think we were both discouraged by it! I think there are other programs that make learning to read way more fun. Progressive Phonics is free and fun. We use Hooked on Phonics and we have nearly the entire collection of BOB Books. We started Singapore Math (K) in January. I LOVE, love, love HWOT. My son loves it too. I let him put a sticker by his best letter and he colors the picture on the page when he's finished. I purchased the teacher guide used but I never use it. At first he liked the chalkboard but how he doesn't really use it.

My kids are in CC so I try to do library books based on what they are learning but you could just as easily pick a different focus each week for science or geography. My son loves maps so we have a pretty strong emphasis on geography.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
Registered Users
My Mood:

I don't like 100 easy lessons too...I sold it for cheap just to get rid of it I think I felt like crying more than DS1 did when we tried using that book. I have an old set of HOP books/Singapore Math essentials K +1a/progressive phonics/reading bear, starfall, the code. My DS1 doesn't like writing much but we do keep a journal (that we try to write something in several times a week) + there is quite a bit of writing in Explode the code as well.
Try Twice: & Thredup nice used women designer clothes! $10 off 1st purchase.
firstlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
My Mood:

Didn't read through. We do a modified version of plus Singapore Math and Hooked on Phonics. It's the perfect Kindergarten program for us because it's not too formal!
Shannon ~ Wife to Kevin || 08.14.04
Mama to Nikolas Eli || 04.14.07, Kate Elise || 11.06.08,

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
Registered Users

My dd is in K this year. We are using Sonlight P 4/5, CLE Math, and CLE Learning to Read. So far we are really enjoying everything. I love the variety of books that we read together with Sonlight. MFW looks like a good choice as well, but my dd was already past the learning to read that they teach in their K, so we went with Sonlight as it was more adaptable.
Featherhead is offline   Reply With Quote