Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is Singapore Math expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibeca View Post
I use singapore and don't bother with the "extra" workbook. When my daughter needed "More" we just grabbed some worksheets from education.com. Chances are your child won't need extra work for each subject.

I regret buying the "text" for 1st grade. We don't even use it. The workbook is all we need so far.
We hardly use 1st text either, but I do use the Home Instructor's Guide with the workbook. We only use the textbook occasionally and only because we are "supposed" to.

Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 12:45 AM   #12
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Personally, I really recommend the HIGs. Using only the workbooks, or the workbooks and textbooks, it is possible to completely miss the mental math methods that are so important to the curriculum. Also, the curriculum is based on a progression from concrete demonstrations of a concept using manipulatives, to illustrated representations of the concept, to abstract work with the concept. The HIGs have learning activities using manipulatives for most lessons, which I think are necessary for getting the full benefit of the curriculum.

We do not need the Extra Practice books here; they're for kids who need a lot of extra practice with the same types of problems that are in the text and workbooks. We do use the Challenging Word Problems books, but they aren't strictly necessary. We also spent quite a bit on various manipulatives, but many of the manipulatives can be made at home. Some of them are printed in the backs of the HIGs to be copied, cut apart, and used during lessons.

I think Singapore will end up being economical for us, since most of the books are not consumable and we plan to use them with multiple children. It would be a little expensive for one child, although most math programs involve an investment. I find Singapore has a good resale value, so I can always sell later if we don't wear them out first.
BinahYeteirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #13
7mom7
Registered Users

I appreciate this thread. I've been really confused about what exactly I need to purchase. I bought 2 Kindergarten workbooks and we are using them but I probably should have placed my son in a higher level because he thinks its silly how easy it is. I'll plan to get all the extras for 1st grade.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #14
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The beginning of Essential Math (if that's what you bought) is easy, but they do get harder as the year goes on.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #15
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
Formerly: sahmto3boys
seller

My Mood:

I'm looking at trying Singapore for my 2 boys but I'm torn between the Earlybird Kindergarten and the Essential Math. I like the idea of the colored pages. I was using Christian Light and honestly not fond of the black and white pages but I know that 1A & 1B are going to be black and white too if we continue with Singapore for 1st grade. Are there any major differences? We would be starting on the second half of Kindergarten math if that makes a difference.

Last edited by Luvingmy4boys; 02-08-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Luvingmy4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #16
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
From what I hear the Earlybird is pre k. We are using essential math and I like it, but book a us very easy for my ds . From what I hear book b is much harder, so I'm looking forward to it.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #17
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Earlybird and Essential Math are both kindergarten level math. Some people do start them in pre-k, but the difficulty does ramp up as the series goes on, so you may need to slow down later. Earlybird is more appropriate for a classroom situation from what I've read. It has more busywork and group activities, iirc. It's also a lot more expensive and requires workbooks and teacher's manuals. Essential Math requires only workbooks. The instructions and teaching suggestions are in small print at the bottom of the page, so no separate manual is necessary. I'm not familiar with the CLE books, but the lack of color is not a problem for me. Many of the pages involve coloring, so it does get colorful eventually. If you do continue with Singapore, the workbooks are black and white, but the textbooks are in color.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #18
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
Formerly: sahmto3boys
seller

My Mood:

Thank you. I just ordered the Essential Math books and hope it works for us.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #19
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinahYeteirah View Post
I think Singapore will end up being economical for us, since most of the books are not consumable and we plan to use them with multiple children. It would be a little expensive for one child, although most math programs involve an investment. I find Singapore has a good resale value, so I can always sell later if we don't wear them out first.
I guess that's where I'd be stuck. I will only be homeschooling 1 child and wouldn't be able to sell the workbooks.
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #20
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Fwiw to those still wondering about Singapore, it's what all the private schools are moving towards due to the high level of achievement and increase in scores when using the system. If I choose to quit and homeschool (jury is still out on that), I would use Singapore hands down.
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote