Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
Gerdgrid
Formerly K****i
seller
seller

Tell me about your group :)

Hi all -

I am one of a group of women that are trying to form a local secular home & unschooling group and I'm interested in how other groups run.

How often do you meet? Where? How is leadership handled? Do you pay dues? How is money handled? Do you have guidelines regarding illness, attendance, hosting etc? How do you go about acquiring new members? Really ANYTHING you tell me will be helpful

TIA!

Advertisement

Gerdgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me about your group :)

I am a part of two local groups. One is a Facebook group that is just a bunch of homeschool families. We meet up for park days, library trips, and a few field trips (fire station, local museums, etc.). It's not really a co-op, just a meet up kind of group. The mama who started it usually plans the park days, but any member can do it. No dues.

The other group we are part of is a co-op. It is five families from our church, and we meet every Friday morning from 9-12. Each mom teaches one subject. Right now we have chapel, sign language, music/art (switches every week), science, and creative movement. We don't pay dues, just supply whatever our kids need and reimburse for any books needed (there was a science workbook and a music book). We all know each other fairly well and our church lets us use the space for free. So far it is working out great, and our kids all get along well. We make decisions all together. That's easy, since there are only five moms. We had meetings in the evenings and all came together to decide how things would work and who would teach what. No one is really "in charge". Hope that helps!
Old 02-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a part of two local groups. One is a Facebook group that is just a bunch of homeschool families. We meet up for park days, library trips, and a few field trips (fire station, local museums, etc.). It's not really a co-op, just a meet up kind of group. The mama who started it usually plans the park days, but any member can do it. No dues.

The other group we are part of is a co-op. It is five families from our church, and we meet every Friday morning from 9-12. Each mom teaches one subject. Right now we have chapel, sign language, music/art (switches every week), science, and creative movement. We don't pay dues, just supply whatever our kids need and reimburse for any books needed (there was a science workbook and a music book). We all know each other fairly well and our church lets us use the space for free. So far it is working out great, and our kids all get along well. We make decisions all together. That's easy, since there are only five moms. We had meetings in the evenings and all came together to decide how things would work and who would teach what. No one is really "in charge". Hope that helps!
Old 02-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
7mom7
Registered Users

I am in a large group that is organized on Big Tent. They host a monthly meeting for parents with a guest speaker. This is the whole reason I joined the group. I always get lots of good tips from these meetings. Within the larger group there are smaller groups and clubs that meet. These are run my members and approved by the leaders. They are advertised on Big Tent and we get emails with reminders of when the groups meet. We have play groups for younger kids, chess club, lego club, theater and more. There are also field trips organized by the larger group and announced ahead of time with sign up information. We pay dues of $25/year but field trips and extras are not included. The monthly speakers are free meetings to attend and new members are welcome to come check us out and see if they want to join. There are positions in the group such as president, secretary, treasurer and beyond that I'm not really sure how money is handled. Within our large group there are different members that decided on their own to create educational co-ops based on the curriculum they chose. We are also part of a Classical Conversations group. Their website might be a good jumping off point even though it isn't really what you are looking for. I think it would be valuable to see how they handle info meetings and organizing their mission etc.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
babydogs3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are in a homeschool coop that meets every Wednesday from 9:30 until about 12 or 12:30. Dues are $200/yr (to pay for using space in a church & other expenses). This is our first year doing it. There's also a $10/child monthly fee (this may be eliminated soon when a few more families join) to pay for the programs (once a month each--currently it's music, Spanish, and yoga). The person who started it is mainly in charge, there are occasional planning meetings, and of course everyone's input is encourged. Every month there's a different theme (this month is Medeival) and sensory stations (beans/rice, playdough, painting, etc) set up. There is also snack time where everyone brings a healthy snack to share. I think there is currently about 12 families in it.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I am part of a large "network" group that cost nothing to join and you have access to their calendar and message boards. Anyone can organize anything but there are a couple who have set up several classes or groups, and you pay for each thing as you decide to attend. There are some things that are free, some that are biweekly and cost a $50 facility fee (when the group has to pay to use the space) and then a $8/class fee or something, and that usually depends on material costs, or if they have someone come in to offer something special. For instance they have someone come in to teach Spanish and she charges for that those lessons, they've had lego building classes taught by an engineer and he charged for his time/expertise. But the group doesnt have any amount of money set aside, none of the moms are making any money, the group doesnt have a treasurer/president/etc, type of thing. It's just, someone organizes something, lets everyone know its available and the cost is shared equally.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote