Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
snottymama
Registered Users

bg elementals bulky?

I am new to cloth diapering and have just started using cloth on my 10 week old. My stash consists of fuzzibunz elite and bf elementals. I read rave reviews on the bf which is why I ordered them. My 10 week old has only worn 2 of them and I find them ridiculously bulky and stiff. The fb elite are so much trimmer and softer. My baby is already more than 14lbs and a chunk. I am confused why the elementals are so bulky. Will my babe grow into them?

Advertisement

snottymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yeah, your kiddo is prob a bit small still. My DS started wearing them at prob 12 lbs, and they are bulkier at that stage. My DD potty trained out of them at ~28 lbs and they fit great & were very trim. When your kiddo gets larger and you aren't snapping the rise down as much they'll fit trimmer. IMO this happens with all one size dipes.

FTR - I love our Elementals, so am willing to put up with a little bulk in the beginning. They fit my 24 lb 9 mo old DS great now!! Oh, and they're less stiff if you dry them in the dryer.

Hope that helps!!

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012

Last edited by Alaga; 02-06-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
Tclem75
Registered Users
seller

Re: bg elementals bulky?

Hmm I find them pretty trim on my 19pound little girl, but a lot of it has I do with which rise you are on an how you are folding the soaker. In the back the soaker causes a huge lump, in the front is better but makes a funny fit. Sounds crazy but I started folding the inner layer backwards and the top one forwards if that makes sense? Also I detached the soaker on one which I like so far. What rise are you on?
Tclem75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
KimA
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The BG Elementals and the 4.0s are a larger cut. The Freetimes, which are the AIOs are a little more trim. Bottombumpers is a really trim AIO and is also organic cotton, made in the USA and a much better value at $19 each.
KimA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

I find them the trimest diaper I have, but all of mine have detached soakers. I have them on medium snap setting.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

They are our trimmest diaper. Like most OS they look big on young babies.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

I thought so too until I detached the soaked. I was just saying prior to that they were my least favorite diaper we own, but since I detached the soaked I really love them.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
MrsJordan85
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As your babe grows, they will fit better and better. My DS2 is 22 lbs and they are as trim as a disposable on him! They will soften up so much if you add some vinegar to your wash and make sure you dry them in the dryer, at least halfway. Hang in there, mama!
Old 02-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
rooster2012
Registered Users
seller

I found them bulky on the small and medium settings, and I hated the snaps, so I sold mine and opted for Nanas Bottoms AIOs and flips :-)
Old 02-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimA View Post
The BG Elementals and the 4.0s are a larger cut. The Freetimes, which are the AIOs are a little more trim. Bottombumpers is a really trim AIO and is also organic cotton, made in the USA and a much better value at $19 each.
Just FYI, the more recent batches of Elementals that are USA made (which seem to be what most retailers have) are cut smaller like the Freetime and like the old style BG Organics. They are MUCH smaller than the 4.0 and Flips. The US made ones fit my youngest great from when he was tiny and still fit on my now PL 3yo if he needed a diaper. I never had any problems fitting them under even newborn clothing. Yes, they are bulkier than a disposable of course though.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote