Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #111
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: anyone decline the PKU?

With all 4 of my kids, the test is done 2 days after birth. With my oldest I was discharged 24 hrs after birth, they sent a nurse to the house to do the test the next day. With the rest, the test was the last thing they did before we walked out the door 2 days after birth.

Advertisement

happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #112
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

it of course is easier and that makes it of course cheaper plus who knows if they can get all information with the drops or if all labs have that capability.

its like i get my iron tested w/ a prick but people also test w/ vial as it tells more of a whole story
Old 02-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #113
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPants

We had to supply much more than a blood spot for DD's testing. So I don't know, why don't they do it from a drop if they can?

the labs requires a vial (or two) for most genetic tests, there must be a reason?
I have given birth in 3 states over 15 years. East coast, Midwest and west coast.

All have used Guthrie cards (PKU cards) for testing...no blood vials were ever taken. What state do you live in that they take vials of blood for it?

They look like this:

Last edited by ktmelody; 06-08-2013 at 12:11 PM.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #114
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
I have given birth in 3 states over 15 years. East coast, Midwest and west coast.

All have used Guthrie cards (PKU cards) for testing...no blood vials were ever taken. What state do you live in that they take vials of blood for it?

They look like this:
Ours looks similar, but has to be saturated more than 3/4 of the way or else they deem it unreadable.... accdg to my MW.

And the tests would have to done after the blood is dry, b.c there's no way it would still be wet when it gets to the testing facility. (we have to mail ours out to the lab that services our area).

Last edited by Kiliki; 02-14-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #115
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

I just checked and FL keeps them for 6yrs. and then destroys them.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #116
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

You most definitely do not need an entire vile of blood to determine DNA.

http://www.criminallawandjustice.co....-age-test.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-19463057

http://www.crimescene-forensics.com/DNA.html
Old 02-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #117
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki
Yeah, they can use PKU cards for DNA, in fact they have been used in missing child cases to verify. Doesn't bother me though at all.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #118
aylasmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyshanti
sewgreen- so they give you the option to opt out of them using it but still can still opt in for nb screen I think that is great. It is good to check your state as I think some hold for longer periods of time and use them differently.

aylasmommy(I am an Ayla's mommy too- $250 isn't bad. Does that test as much as your state? Ours does I think 29-

chocochoco- ouch that;s rough a vial of blood vs a prick and too bad they only test for a couple and not as many as the state. did they charge per every single test? the opt-out like sewgreen mentioned sounds promising-
I think there are about 30 :-)

Foggy Knits WAHM Page Foggy Knits Facebook
aylasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #119
oregonmom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyshanti View Post
I know the people that say they won't be doing it haven't said one reason why?
this is what the thread is about. i really am curious is their something I'm missing and that we all don't know about. Like not using sposies,vaccines,whatever people have a big pro/con lists for these. I really would like to know the con of this?
I do have some friends of friends that felt that this test was another way for the government to keep control/catolog us. I guess some states keep the tests for several years in some big warehouse and some people think that they are useing this test to collect DNA.

I do not share their fears, but as I already said both the midwife I had in Oregon and the one I have here in Texas both said that they requomend the 2nd one over the first. They both said the first does not tell you much since it is usally done within hours of the baby being born before the baby has really learned to eat at all.

ETA: sorry I did not finish the page I was on before writing and I see others have already stated what I did about some states keeping the cards for what seems a longer then needed time.

Last edited by oregonmom; 02-14-2013 at 12:16 PM.
oregonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #120
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonmom

I do have some friends of friends that felt that this test was another way for the government to keep control/catolog us. I guess some states keep the tests for several years in some big warehouse and some people think that they are useing this test to collect DNA.

I do not share their fears, but as I already said both the midwife I had in Oregon and the one I have here in Texas both said that they requomend the 2nd one over the first. They both said the first does not tell you much since it is usally done within hours of the baby being born before the baby has really learned to eat at all.
There is a chart (will find) 99 percent of actual PKU disease is found on the first test which is done usually prior to 24 hours.

And the other screens (non metabolic) don't need the baby to have eaten to be tested for.