Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
bamababies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
In need of an easy baking soda free homemade deodorant recipe

A few weeks ago I took the plunge and tried making my own deodorant. My first batch I used 1/4 c of baking soda, 4 or 5 Tbsp Coconut oil, 1/3 c of arrowroot powder, and a few drops each of TT oil and Lavender oil. All went well until I shaved...then the deo. made me itch and develop a rash. So my next batch I lessened the BS even more and still had the same issue. Would it still work if I made the same recipe, but omitted the BS all together? Has anyone had any luck just using coconut oil?

Advertisement

My gone but not forgotten ^i^ DS T (9/06)
bamababies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:39 AM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: In need of an easy baking soda free homemade deodorant recipe

My MIL just uses vinegar. I have heard of people doing just the coconut oil. However, I would recommend making a batch without the oils in it. I say that because I react more to the oils than to the baking soda, and I have very sensitive skin. I do equal parts baking soda and cornstarch, with enough coconut oil to make it creamy.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've been developing my own recipe for a while with a lot of trial and error and may try selling it (although the ingredients are so concentrated for a super sweater like me and so high quality that I've discovered it is costing me about $12 a stick just to make and mail... so maybe not).

Anyhow, I had the same problem a couple of days into using baking soda, and I discovered that using bob's red mill naturally extracted baking soda takes care of that problem for me (I also put some tamanu oil in for extra healing properties after shaving). I also add some french pressed zinc oxide powder although it is kind of splurgey (as with the tamanu) b/c baking soda is not strong enough for me. I also add some cocoa butter and castor oils (and, because I was trying to make it shelf stable, organic white beeswax).

You could try the bob's red mill baking soda OR the zinc oxide (and no baking soda) and continue to adjust the recipe (if needed) from there with the other ingredients I've mentioned.

Note that the zinc oxide is SUCH an effective odor neutralizer that you will hardly be able to smell your essential oils. I have 80 drops essential oil in each stick and can hardly smell it at all after application even with my nose in my pit. This is a bit lamentable b/c I had spent a long time developing EO mixtures that would be both aromatherapeutic and maximally effective.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants

Last edited by debcita429; 02-09-2013 at 11:20 AM.
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
bamababies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429 View Post
I've been developing my own recipe for a while with a lot of trial and error and may try selling it (although the ingredients are so concentrated for a super sweater like me and so high quality that I've discovered it is costing me about $12 a stick just to make and mail... so maybe not).

Anyhow, I had the same problem a couple of days into using baking soda, and I discovered that using bob's red mill naturally extracted baking soda takes care of that problem for me (I also put some tamanu oil in for extra healing properties after shaving). I also add some french pressed zinc oxide powder although it is kind of splurgey (as with the tamanu) b/c baking soda is not strong enough for me. I also add some cocoa butter and castor oils (and, because I was trying to make it shelf stable, organic white beeswax).

You could try the bob's red mill baking soda OR the zinc oxide (and no baking soda) and continue to adjust the recipe (if needed) from there with the other ingredients I've mentioned.

Note that the zinc oxide is SUCH an effective odor neutralizer that you will hardly be able to smell your essential oils. I have 80 drops essential oil in each stick and can hardly smell it at all after application even with my nose in my pit. This is a bit lamentable b/c I had spent a long time developing EO mixtures that would be both aromatherapeutic and maximally effective.
Thanks! I didn't know bob's mill even made a baking soda! If I used the zinc oxide in place of the baking soda would I use the same amount? Nice to know about the tamanu oil too! Does your version of deodorant prevent you from sweating so much? Humid Alabama summers are awful in the sweat department....I wish homemade deodorant would help the sweat or lessen it some. I hate sweating.

My gone but not forgotten ^i^ DS T (9/06)
bamababies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #5
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

I got my bob's red mill baking soda from swansons and was very glad I did both b/c of how it mollifies the harshness and also b/c it turns out that the extractions of other companies are harsher on the earth. If baking soda could be organic, bob's red mill would be.

The arrowroot mops up some of the sweat, but I do sweat through it sometimes. The result is that I feel kind of sticky. But so far it's not been an excessive amount of sweat relative to what my antiperspirant allowed; however, my deodorant has not yet seen a proper summer. Also I include sage essential oil (regular sage not clary sage) as part of my EO blend. Sage has been studied in the middle east for its apparently incredible ability to reduce sweat production over time on the areas to which it is applied. It is also the oil that made formulating pleasing oil blends so tricky for me--an extremely low woodsy note.

Due to the cost of french pressed zinc oxide (I got mine from amazon), I use almost twice as much baking soda as I do zinc. I never tried zinc alone for three reasons. One is that it would make for a more costly deodorant if I had any thought of selling it, another is that for some it can bite like the less natural baking soda, and the other is that I wanted to be able to smell my EOs some (I knew that the more zinc you are using the less likely it is that you will be able to smell the EOs AT all). I have had no difficulty with my ratio biting.

If you want to try something that is purely zinc based, you may honestly want to try one of the 40% zinc creams for babies butts. It wouldn't wick sweat at all but is supposed to be an incredible deodorant. Most are petroleum based however.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote