Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Cod liver oil and natural tooth health

My poor DS has some bad decay on his teeth. I took him to the dentist and she pretty much told me it was from nursing and said that I have to wipe his teeth after every session. Not only is that not possible b/c he nurses to sleep and that would wake him up but there are multiple studies showign that breastmilk alone won't cause decay. I have an appointment scheduled in March with a pediatric dentist to get a second opinion and in a couple months he will peobably have to go into surgery to get his teeth filled but until then I want to do whatever I can to keep them from getting worse. I am already wiping his teeth after he eats anything and when he nurses during the day, brushing with xylitol before bed/upon waking, and trying to limit any sharing of saliva between him and myself. I have heard a lot about using butter and cod liver oil to prevent decay. Does anyone had experience with this? Do I have to get fermented oil or can it be regular? I am fairly sure that DS has a weak enamel condition that makes him more susceptible to decay ut the dentist was adament that it was baby bottle rot and pretty much blew me off. The office also handed out cookies upon payment. Definitely not going back there.

Advertisement

And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cod liver oil and natural tooth health

I know there is a mom who has done this, but I can't remember her name right now. Hopefully she will offer. Have you read Nutrition and Physical Degeneration? I and my two kids take fermented cod liver oil to prevent problems, and so far we don't have any tooth decay to test this out on But I have read also and do believe that high doses of fermented cod liver oil and butter oil can heal and reverse tooth decay. It won't be cheap, though, because the doses required are much higher than maintenance.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.c...childs-cavity/

Have you read this?

Where in Virginia are you? I was going to get some CLO when my tax return goes through; maybe we can go in together and get a discount?

Last edited by songbird516; 02-07-2013 at 01:51 PM.
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
I know there is a mom who has done this, but I can't remember her name right now. Hopefully she will offer. Have you read Nutrition and Physical Degeneration? I and my two kids take fermented cod liver oil to prevent problems, and so far we don't have any tooth decay to test this out on But I have read also and do believe that high doses of fermented cod liver oil and butter oil can heal and reverse tooth decay. It won't be cheap, though, because the doses required are much higher than maintenance.

Have you read this?

Where in Virginia are you? I was going to get some CLO when my tax return goes through; maybe we can go in together and get a discount?
Thanks. I am near Harrisonburg va but also have family in Richmond and Buckingham.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post

Have you read this?

I have read that before but then lost it. I have a 7 year old with a history of cavities and his mouth is supposedly full again. I believe it is genetic on dh's side as I have had all of 4 cavities in my entire life, only post pregnancy and only on the 4 teeth I have that are not fully and properly erupted. My oldest has a couple of cavities here and there but he also has suffered with nutritional problems in the past (sensory related oral aversion). I was wondering where to get the best cod liver oil and butter oil to try this on my boys?
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Songbird-what brand of cod liver oil do you use? I want to go ahead and order some to get him started.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I do this for my own tooth issues. I can tell you from my personal experience it works. It healed one shallow cavity I had....there, then gone in about 3-6 months.

I went from having chronic tooth pain and needing a root canal to having no pain.

I haven't used it with my kids yet, their teeth are fine so far, but I do carefully monitor their diets, and they take a good vitamin everyday. When they are older we'll try the CLO for prevention.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
I do this for my own tooth issues. I can tell you from my personal experience it works. It healed one shallow cavity I had....there, then gone in about 3-6 months.

I went from having chronic tooth pain and needing a root canal to having no pain.

I haven't used it with my kids yet, their teeth are fine so far, but I do carefully monitor their diets, and they take a good vitamin everyday. When they are older we'll try the CLO for prevention.
Do you just use CLO or do you use it with butter oil?
Old 02-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterisntsomething View Post
Do you just use CLO or do you use it with butter oil?
For myself, I take high quality CLO liquid capsules. I take double the dose every night before bed.

I tried drinking the liquid CLO and I just can't do it. I gag and almost vomit EVERYTIME. The taste and smell just makes me sick.

I don't do any special oils, no.

However, I am very careful with my diet (or I try to be - I'm human, so I do get off track sometimes). I eat mostly whole foods, LOTS of fruits/veggies (almost all raw), and I eat maybe 5 servings of meat per week total. I use regular, normal butter, I use EVOO to cook with, and I don't use it sparingly. I use however much I need, and I'm not worried about "too much fat". I eat local eggs, and local meat (usually meat from chickens and cows grown on my parent's land).

I rarely buy processed foods, but I do have my weaknesses.

If I slack off, and I start eating crap, my teeth start to ache. I am totally not kidding. I realize how crazy and bizarre that may sound, but it's the truth.

For example: I love those Newman's Own Peppermint Patty cups. I can eat like 5 packages in a day. And I have no will power, If I buy them, I will eat them. So, if I go and I buy 7 packs, thinking, "I'll eat these sparingly!" No, no, I won't. I wind up eating all 7 packs before the next night. Then, my teeth (the ones that were "problem teeth" before) start to ache and throb. Sometimes they even keep me up at night, and I get pretty miserable.

IMO, it's like my body saying, "Hey stupid! you were doing so well! Why'd you have to go and screw it up!"

I go back to my regular diet, and within about 3 days my teeth slowly stop hurting.

Same with other junky foods. And I find that the more sugary the junk that I am letting myself eat, the worse my teeth hurt. But mostly, I can feel it when I eat too much of anything processed.

Last edited by Kiliki; 02-07-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
For myself, I take high quality CLO liquid capsules. I take double the dose every night before bed.

I tried drinking the liquid CLO and I just can't do it. I gag and almost vomit EVERYTIME. The taste and smell just makes me sick.

I don't do any special oils, no.

However, I am very careful with my diet (or I try to be - I'm human, so I do get off track sometimes). I eat mostly whole foods, LOTS of fruits/veggies (almost all raw), and I eat maybe 5 servings of meat per week total. I use regular, normal butter, I use EVOO to cook with, and I don't use it sparingly. I use however much I need, and I'm not worried about "too much fat". I eat local eggs, and local meat (usually meat from chickens and cows grown on my parent's land).

I rarely buy processed foods, but I do have my weaknesses.

If I slack off, and I start eating crap, my teeth start to ache. I am totally not kidding. I realize how crazy and bizarre that may sound, but it's the truth.

For example: I love those Newman's Own Peppermint Patty cups. I can eat like 5 packages in a day. And I have no will power, If I buy them, I will eat them. So, if I go and I buy 7 packs, thinking, "I'll eat these sparingly!" No, no, I won't. I wind up eating all 7 packs before the next night. Then, my teeth (the ones that were "problem teeth" before) start to ache and throb. Sometimes they even keep me up at night, and I get pretty miserable.

IMO, it's like my body saying, "Hey stupid! you were doing so well! Why'd you have to go and screw it up!"

I go back to my regular diet, and within about 3 days my teeth slowly stop hurting.

Same with other junky foods. And I find that the more sugary the junk that I am letting myself eat, the worse my teeth hurt. But mostly, I can feel it when I eat too much of anything processed.
Not crazy at all...my teeth ache when I eat too many sweets, especially chocolate. I think the kind I'm going to order is the liquid kind since I'll have to break the capsules to give them to DS anyways. I'll probably just use a baby medicine syringe to squirt it in his mouth really quick and then offer him the boob or water to chase it. I might order some ghee too to get him more good fats. I can't afford to get the butter oil right now anyways. I do ok myself nutrition wise but could definitely be better. I don't expect all this to heal his cavities but I'll do anything to stop more decay before he gets them filled and protect his teeth in the future.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

Im very interested in trying fclo but just cannot afford it right now. Im going to look into my natural health food store soon though. I have noticed a big difference since taking vitamins and a mag supplement.
happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote