Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
jessd32003
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help me choose a new washer

Ok mama's, I need some help. I have to get a new washer.....after only 3 1/2 years. The transmission on ours is going out and leaving oil spots all over our dark clothes. Our clothes also come out often with little holes. So, I know I want to go with an HE model since they are gentler on clothes. I thought I was set on a front loader until Sears introduced me to the HE top loaders. I am the most indecisive person ever and have the uncontrollable need to research and get opinions before i can make a decision. So, since moms do more laundry than anyone, I'm curious to know if any of you have the HE top loaders or front loaders, which you'd recommend and if you have a brand preference. I want something that will clean well and hold up well. Thanks in advance

Advertisement

Last edited by jessd32003; 02-07-2013 at 10:47 AM.
jessd32003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Which washer?

I have had our LG FL washer with the option of extra water in a load for 4+ years. I have been very happy with it and had NO issues with it. It worked well for all the CD in those years and even now. We use soap nuts in it now and I couldn't be happier. However I think you can't get our exact machine now. I would assume the newer ones are just as good though. We got ours at Sears outlet and I am glad we did. Ours are grey but they are in the basement so they would get that color anyway.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
jessd32003
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
LG is the brand I was leaning toward because they have such great reviews. Our Sears is having a huge sale Sunday and with discounts, rebates and delivery, I can get the front loader I've been eyeing for around $620. Did you do the extra Sears warranty on yours? I'm undecided since its almost $300 and that's almost half of what I'll pay total.....
Old 02-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We did get the extended warranty. I am going to have to call them out again soon for the last check up on it. They come out and make sure everything is going good on your machine so that is good.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

We have an LG front loader and love it. We've had it for 6 years, in 3 different homes with different waters, and never had an issue.

If you go with a top loader, the Whirlpool Cabrio (I think that's the right name) is a good one.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our HE TL'er cleaned like a washer with no agitator that used half the water...because it was. I hated it.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
jessd32003
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me choose a new washer

Anyone add on the warranty at a later date? Sears says you can add it on later but if you don't purchase it at the same time as the washer, the price for the extended warranty will go up. I wonder if it really does and by how much. The washer has a 1 yr warranty as it is so I'd rather add the 5 yr extended warranty close to the end of the 1 yr so that I'm really getting a 6 yr guarantee on the washer. Anyone add the extended warranty on at a later date and was it really that much more?
Old 02-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

We didn't bother with a warranty. Seems the warranty always runs out just before you need it. lol I know that's not always true, but from talking to our friends, that seems to be the case more often than not.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
risata
Registered Users
seller

I have a GE HE toploader that we bought from Sears 2.5 years ago. I've been happy with it, overall. Can't compare it to cost of regular toploader (water and energy costs) because we never had our own laundry facilities before this house. I feel like it gets our clothes clean, and I also used it on cloth diapers (pockets, MF, flats, and covers) for 4 months with success.

Cons are that wash cycles take a long time; bulky things like comforters and the dog bed end up with lint in crevices; the fabric softener dispenser gets grody; the rinse and spin cycle literally just does that -- I have to choose a second rinse in order for it to actually fill with water and agitate. The water temp sensor does regulate -- hot water is hot, but not as hot as straight from the water heater. I have learned how to "babysit" the temp dial to get hothothot water, though.

We were happy with CS from Sears when we bought the washer and matching dryer. We did not purchase the warranty. The temperature sensor probe thingy went out last fall but DH was able to diagnose and replace the part inexpensively.

I would buy an HE toploader again over any other kind of washer. I would look for one with more options next time, though, like a bulky setting, and better temperature options. Mine is pretty basic.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #10
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

I love my Whirlpool Duet front loader. It cleans REALLY well (way better than my previous top loader) and i love all of the settings. Especially the sanitize cycle. I always leave the washer door open when i'm not running it, so i never have an issue with odors.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.

Last edited by somo_chickenlady; 02-07-2013 at 01:32 PM.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote